Kinks Greatest Hits CD on PRT (ugly pink/black cover)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poweragemk, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying.

Just for the record (and to ask again in case you can answer - I like to know what I am missing :sigh: ), I was wondering what tracks you would have remastered, as opposed to what you would have done to them.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

So, to clarify, we are talking about the minor level drop at around 1' 35'' followed by minor level fluctuations throughout the rest of the track?

Firstly, I wouldn't say this renders the song unlistenable but, of course, it would be better if the flaw wasn't there :agree:.

The interesting thing is that this flaw was also on the Rhino comp "Kinks-Size Kinkdom" mastered by Bill Inglot & Ken Perry.

I can only assume from you comments that either PRT gave Rhino the same flawed master tape that they had used (or a copy thereof) or that Rhino used the PRT CD as the master!

Was the tape you heard the original mixdown master?

3. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

I'm with you on the A+B singles comp. Looking forward to receiving it. Man, if they had only used the correct YRGM!! It's a SINGLES comp, why couldn't they use the SINGLE version?!! This goes for to you to, Fab Forty! :p

As I've futiley (?) wished for before, I would love a collection with all A+B 60's singles plus the rarities on Kronikles (Did You See His Name, This Is Where I Belong) and other early-mid 60's rarities/demos (Mr. Reporter, All Night Stand, etc.), properly mastered of course, in chron order by disc (if separated by A/B sides, rarities, etc.)

Personally, I don't even need the singles on the albums from Kontroversy on since the albums are "real", complete works. For the first two albums the singles stick out and need to be with the other singles, though. IMO :) .

4. So where does one find these CDs? eBay? I rarely see any Kinks CDs at the used stores here in town.

5. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Yup - that's where I got mine, altough I found Fab Forty used at Mr. Cheapos in Long Island years ago. Patience and persistance usually required.

6. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Steve/Anyone,

Is this answerable (or would I have to be buried in cement)? (Which Kinks tracks Steve would have remastered if the project did not get 86ed).

7. Steven

Steven Senior Member

Sorry to resurrect here, but in the first post says Greatest Hits is all mono except Victoria and Apeman. The Complete Collection is supposed to be the same mastering but on the back cover Waterloo Sunset is marked as stereo. Is it mono or stereo on Greatest Hits?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's the mono mix on the PRT pink cover Greatest Hits, as it should be..

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Is there anyone besides Steve who actually owns this CD?

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I owned a copy way, way back when you couldn't find anything else from the Kinks. Sold it years ago before I knew any better!

11. CHARLOOTZ

CHARLOOTZ New Member

I still have my copy...

12. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Fortunately, I still have my copy :righton:

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Okay, I'll keep looking.

Has anyone seriously compared the PRT Greatest Hits to the Complete Collection (Castle)?

14. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

YEP! :agree:

15. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

The Complete Collection is very plentiful in the UK, and goes quite literally for peanuts:
    Amazon UK

Its the same catalog number as mine, not sure why it only lists 21 songs in the amazon entry. as there are 25. Fantastic CD.

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Reprise Mono Greatest Hits

I just picked up a very strong VG++ mono copy of The Kinks Greatest Hits on Reprise, R6217. Does anyone know when this was originally released...all 10 tracks and 22:34 of it? The mix is fairly dry and loud. It also has that obvious level fluctuation on Well Respected Man. Anyone else have this comp? Cheers, Ron

17. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Si!

18. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Wasn't really a comp so much as it was the US version of one of their early albums, I thought...

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Actually, it is a standard Greatest Hits collection. It features album tracks from their first 3 UK LP's, as well as, early A and B-side UK 45's. The songs herein were recorded and released between 1964 and 1966. Still wondering when this was first released and if any of the songs are different versions or feature alternate mixes. Cheers, Ron

20. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I have finally found that Greatest Hits CD that Steve recommended. Thanks a lot, I would have never tried this CD (judging from the package) without this forum.

All I can say is.....Steve, did you master that one? :)

Seriously, I compared the comparable tracks with the Complete Collection (Castle) and The Kinks (Are) Well Respected Men (PRT). And it blows the other two away.

No two tracks are identical masters on these CDs. The Complete Collection has lower volumes; the peak levels are around 60%, while Greatest Hits has 90%-100%, but with no apparent digital clippling. The Greatest Hits also has much more bass than both other two releases. It solves both the problem of the Complete Collection (somehow muddy, thin sounding) and The Kinks Are Well Respected Men (rather uneven mastering choices reaching from too muddy to too bright, clipped intro for Dead End Street).

This CD will be the ultimate source for mono Kinks.

Just to repeat: The Complete Collection is very different from that one. In many regards: Lower volume, less bass, thinner sound. Those who said that the Complete Collection is an expansion with the same mastering either have a different version or did not listen closely enough.

I will post track-by-track analyses if anybody is interested.

alchemy likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Please do. Thanks!

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A Well Respected Man - Thin on the Complete Collection, cleaner on Well Respected Men, but somehow fading up after a few seconds. Fatter on the Ultimate Collection, but also harsher.

All Day And All Of The Night - Thin but okay on the Complete Collection. Better on Well Respected Men. Muddy on Hit Singles. Loud and aggressive on the Ultimate Collection. More bass on Greatest Hits.

Apeman - Narrower stereo on the Complete Collection. Wider on Hit Singles, but also muddier. Great sound on the Ultimate Collection, despite of the clipped waveforms. Best sound without digital clipping on Greatest Hits.

Autumn Almanac - Complete Collection, Hit Singles and Well Respected Men sound very similar. Much more punch on the Ultimate Collection. Unlistenable on the Essential Something Else. Greatest Hits sounds similar, but with more bass.

Days - VGPS remaster is by far the worst, bright, aggressive and even with drop-out. Complete Collection is okay, but a bit muddy, with little top end. Hit Singles sounds from an inferior tape copy. Ultimate Collection is by far the loudest, but sounds clear and strong. Well Respected Men sounds also clear, but less punchy than the Ultimate Collection. Best version is on Greatest Hits: not as bright and screechy as on Well Respected Men, but with the same clarity.

Dead End Street - First note is clipped on Well Respected Men. Thin as usual on Complete Collection. Loud as usual on the Ultimate Collection. Muddy with no top end on Hit Singles. By far the best on Greatest Hits, in every respect.

Dedicated Follower Of Fashion - Very thin with no bottom end on the Complete Collection. Similarly bad on Hit Singles. Some distortion on Well Respected Men, but still the more pleasant sound. Lots of clipping on the Ultimate Collection. Greatest Hits has the best bass without sounding distorted; by far the best version..

Everybody's Gonna Be Happy - Clearest sound on Well Respected Men. Loud on the Ultimate Collection. Muddy on Hit Singles. Thin and distant sounding on the Complete Collection. Far better on Greatest Hits: Same clarity as on Well Respected Men, but without that brightness.

I'm Not Like Everybody Else - Thin on the Complete Collection, muddy on Hit Singles, too aggressive on the Ultimate Collection. Best on Well Respected Men, still a bit thin.

I Gotta Move - Much more bass on the Ultimate Collection than on Well Respected Men.

I Need You - Louder and more bass on the Ultimate Collection than on Well Respected Men.

King Kong - Smoother, more dynamic and fuller on Well Respected Men than on the harsh Essential Arthur.

Lola: Much fuller and richer on greatest Hits than on the thin sounding Complete Collection.

Mr. Pleasant - The Ultimate Collection has more bass than Well Respected Men.

Plastic Man - Very muddy on Hit Singles, and usually thin on the Complete Collection. Clear but bright on Well Respected Men. Ultimate Collection has too much bass. Essential Arthur has too much treble and harshness. By far the best on Greatest Hits.

See My Friends - Bright on Well Respected Men. Too much bass on the Ultimate Collection. Usually thin on the Complete Collection, and muddy on Hit Singles. Best sound on Greatest Hits.

Set Me Free - Clear sound on Well Respected Men. Usual thin sound on the Complete Collection, muddy on Hit Singles, and harsh and loud on the Ultimate Collection. Greatest Hits has the same clarity as Well Respected Men, but with a fuller and punchier sound.

She's Got Everyhing - A bit clearer on Well Respected Men, a bit more bass on the Ultimate Collection.

Sitting On My Sofa - Usual difference between the Ultimate Collection and Well Respected Men.

Sunny Afternoon - At least one generation of tape difference between Greatest Hits and Complete Collection.

Susannh's Still Alive - Unimpressive on the Complete Collection. Muddy on Hit Single. Screechy and very harsh on the Essential Something Else. Very loud on the Ultimate Collection.

Til The End Of The Day - Thin on the Complete Collection, loud on the Ultimate Collection. Muddy on Hit Singles. Full and clear sound on Greatest Hits.

Tired Of Waiting For You - Usually fat and loud on the Ultimate Collection. Thin and distant sounding on the Complete Collection. Muddy on Hit Singles. Far better on Greatest Hits, seems to be from a better tape.

Victoria: No bass on Complete Collection. Greatest Hits sounds similar as PRT Arthur CD.

Waterloo Sunset: Greatest Hits has the mono version, sounding great.

Where Have All The Good Times Gone - Harsh on the Ultimate Collection, more pleasant on the Complete Collection.

Who'll Be The Next In Line - A bit thin on Well Respected Men, too bass-heavy on the Ultimate Collection.

Wonderboy - Bright and clear on Well Respected Men. Thin and distant sounding on the Complete Collection. Muddy on Hit Singles. Aggressive on the Ultimate Collection. By far the best on Greatest Hits.

You Really Got Me - Complete Collection, Hit Singles and the Ultimate Collection are very similar. UC is louder and a bit shriller. Fullest and best sound on Greatest Hits.

alchemy likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks!

What's the CD number of Greatest Hits and when was it released?

Edit: the print in the picture earlier in this thread was too small for me to read.

24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The Kinks: Greatest Hits
    CDKINK 7251
    (c) 1985 Precision Records & Tapes Ltd.
    (PRT Records)

Track Listing:
    1. You Really Got Me
    2. All Day And All Of The Night
    3. Tired of Waiting For You
    4. Everybody's Gonna be Happy
    5. Set Me Free
    6. See My Friends
    7. Till The End Of The Day
    8. Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    9. Sunny Afternoon
    10. Dead End Street
    11. Waterloo Sunset
    12. Autumn Almanac
    13. Wonderboy
    14. Days
    15. Plastic Man
    16. Victoria
    17. Lola
    18. Apeman

Tracks 16 and 18 are in stereo, all others in mono.

25. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Too bad I have a really awful fake stereo copy of that LP. Completely drenched in craptacular reverb.

As SH said, it's missing "Who'll Be The Next In Line" and "A Well Respected Man". The former was the B-side of "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" in the UK -- while in the US, Reprise treated "Who'll Be The Next In Line" as the A-side.

"A Well Respected Man" was never issued as a single in the UK; it appeared on an EP over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.