Kinks, Something Else & Arthur

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lukather, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

After the newer remasters, is there some sort of consensus of which is the BEST cd version of Something Else?
    Thanks to Matthew, I bought the mono K2 Face To Face and I'm amazed.
    Now I could really use opinions on Something else -- best sources, best overall sound...

2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Best mono the new deluxe. Best stereo the PRT.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

To further clarify the Stereo:

1987 PRT - best, except for "Tin Soldier Man" and "Situation Vacant", which are later remixes and are missing first few notes of the intro on the former and the repeated coda on the latter

1989 Castle - same as above, but with reversed channels.

K2 - brighter and a little louder than above, but have the complete versions of those two songs (same remixes)

US Reprise - "Tin Soldier Man" and "Situation Vacant" are the complete original 1967 stereo mixes, but there is severe tape damage on many of the other songs. Slightly dull overall sound (thanks to US copy tapes being used)

2011 Deluxe - uses the original mixes of "Tin Soldier Man" and "Situation Vacant", but is bright and peak limited.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The deluxe stereo is ok too.

5. As I recall the Japanese K2 of "Something Else" have slightly longer fades as well.

6. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Go with the deluxe edition for now. You might want the PRT later on to upgrade the 11 non-remixed stereo tracks, but you'd still need the deluxe for the only decent CD mastering of the mono album and all the bonus tracks.

7. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Ok, got it. Thanks, guys.
    One more question... is Something Else better in mono?

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I would say yes. Some tracks like "Two Sisters and "End Of The Season" have a very narrow stereo mix. Other tracks, such as "Harry Rag" and "Afternoon Tea" have vocals on one side mix, that while sort of neat to listen to, make a very unnatural soundstage (of course this is typical of many 60's stereo "pop" recordings). "Love Me Till The Sun Shines" is much more powerful in its mono mix.

Having said this, I did grow up on the stereo mix and I enjoy some of the wonky stereo mixes. Also, I like the echo/reverb on the "David Watts" stereo mix.

This makes the Deluxe Edition, with both mixes, a really worthwhile purchase.

9. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Plus the BBC sessions on that one are great!

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

For the best recreation of the original stereo LP I'd go for the PRT and replace Tin Soldier Man and Sitation Vacant with the Reprise versions - the EQ/loudness is more compatible with the PRT than the stereo versions on the deluxe IMO.

For the remixes of the songs with the first notes of Tin Soldier Man and the full coda of Situation Vacant, you need the K2.

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

The bass on the BBC version of "Harry Rag" is room-shaking! Just huge!

12. peteham

peteham Senior Member

This thread is two years old. As of now, 2014, where can you get (in print and not a million dollars) a stereo mix of 'Something Else' on cd?

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

As far as I know the US Reprise cd is still in print and costs less than a million dollars.

14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Thanks..!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.