Led Zeppelin II - The Greatest Rock Album of All Time Released 40 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dalziel53, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I love it all....panning stereo effects and all, a great album perhaps their best. I and II for me are always a treat.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think you meant to type "This is so AWESOME!". :agree:

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Regardless of their questionable business ethics (...cough...Peter Grant...cough...), there's no denying the greatness of the result. I will always enjoy these tunes and performances and recordings, despite the quibbles. If anything, it adds to the mystique.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I pulled out my 1971? Atlantic vinyl of this albunm out last night, and, when Bonham comes in with the fills on "Whole Lotta Love," his drum sound is awesome. I don't care whether it's in the red, or not the "right" way to record drums, or whatever. It sounds huge, and it rocks.

The initial jazzy section of the "What Is ..." slide solo, before Page starts the really vicious slide licks, is my favorite Zeppelin moment on record (well, either that or the whole package of riffs on "The Rover"). Bonham and Jones shine here - Bonham playing some pretty delicate cymbal work at this point in the song.

I've been through this stage of laughing at the dumb Tolkien lyrics, the thirteen-year-old misogynist worldview that Plant exhibits on this lp, and all that. As I get older, though, I'm finding myself more in agreement with Stefan - laugh at all that, sure, but just dig the sound.

5. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

the similarity is VERY slight musically....a regular I-IV-V progression on the Wolf cut is transformed into a distinctive RIFF on Zep's version, and nowhere is that exact riff heard here on the WOlf's....the only similarity is it has an ascending bass riff, but it is way different. I stand by my music/ALL ZEP reference earlier!!

6. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

People who listen to Zeppelin for their lyrics aren't gettin' it. :)

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Thought experiment: what Zeppelin song, if any, actually has good lyrics?

8. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Good music is good music. If I based my listening habits on what I consider good "ethics"... thousands of CDs would be in the trash.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I was more psychedelic 40 years ago today, and it is my favorite of their albums. Can't say I play it anymore, though.

[EDIT: Je l'ecoute maintenant.]

10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I wouldn't know for as much as I love them, I don't half the time know or care what they are singing about. The music is just so amazing.

11. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

LZ II was the first Zep vinyl I bought, as well as the first Zep cd that i bought...

12. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

So He Was No Bob Dylan...

The first few that come to mind:

That's The Way
    Going To California
    Battle of Evermore (nothing wrong with psuedo-Celtric, ahistoric Tolkienish musings--Sandy Denny used to good call and response effect)
    Rain Song
    The Rover

:righton:

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I have no idea what they're singing about, really. Well, except for "Lemon Song."

14. NYC45nut

NYC45nut Active Member

This thread inspired me to listen to II .......

MAN, that breakdown Bonzo and JPJ do in "Lemon Song"...WHEW, now THAT'S a "Rhythm Section!!!"

(Oh yeh, I guess Plant is singing over it too...:winkgrin:)

Seriously, I could listen to just John Bonham and John Paul Jones groove like that for hours......

15. Larry

Larry Member

Yes I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.