Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Menehune

Menehune Annoying Fool

Frank Rosolino I Play Trombone Bethlehem Records / recorded May ‘56.
    Found this one for $2 at the Bookends bookstore in Kailua. Very nice trombone /piano / bass/ drums ensemble. Didn’t know much about Frank Rosolino so I read the short Wikipedia entry; wish I hadn’t. Read it and you’ll understand why. Wow.
    [​IMG]

2. Irish51

Irish51 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Peggy Lee - Black Coffee

1953 sessions
    • Peggy Lee - Vocals
    • Pete Candoli - Trumpet
    • Jimmy Rowles - Piano
    • Max Wayne - Bass
    • Ed Shaughnessy - Drums
    1956 sessions
    • Peggy Lee - Vocals
    • Stella Castellucci - Harp
    • Lou Levy - Piano
    • Bill Pitman - Guitar
    • Buddy Clark - Bass
    • Larry Bunker - Drums/Vibraphone/Percussion
    Recorded at Decca Studios - New York City, 1953 & Decca Studios - Hollywood, 1956

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

PRCD-11022-2 (re-issued under the Fantasy regime).

Ammons and Stitt get together and perform several standards, ably assisted by Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins. Etta Jones contributes two songs.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes it's often hard to discover a few things about an artist. It's not easy but I've learned to separate the man from the music as much as I can in certain instances.

Rosolino can really play though--and that is my favorite of his as a leader.

Mark J, Menehune and Bradd like this.
  5. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

About the recently discussed Eddie Johnson, I just remembered I had a recording of a guest appearance from 2002 in Chicago of Eddie Johnson playing When Sonny Gets Blue with the Von Freeman Quartet (sans Von). Great performance, unfortunately not on YouTube.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

He was a gifted musician. I recently listened to him on a Sonny Stitt led date. As Lon said you have to separate the musician from the person. Just because they were gifted doesn’t mean you’d like or want to emulate that person. Charlie Parker comes to mind as do other people in different walks of life.

Mark J, Robitjazz and Menehune like this.
  7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic (Warner Music Poland 50541 9 78874 3 7)

Newly arrived just a few hours ago, enough for a first listen. I have not listened to this album in a while, my bad because it really is a terrific jazz album played by a great band. SACD sounds very good. Time for another spin...

[​IMG]

8. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Chet from the SteepleChase years……….. Some really beautiful playing by Baker on this label.

Much like Bill Evans I found over the years it’s worth picking up any LP I come across by either of these two giants.

[​IMG]

9. Lonson

Sonny Rollins "A Night at the Village Vanguard" 2 cd set Blue Note US 2024

Released today a new version of this material purportedly from a better tape than any before.

It does really sound good. Does it sound better than my previous favorite, the Japanese "24 Bit by RVG" complete edition? Maybe, but I love the sound of that one (too).

[​IMG]

10. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Listening to this album by Stefano Bollani on classic trio with double bass and drums. The tracklist mostly revisits several Italian popular songs with much fun and joy due to Bollani's vein as singer as well. The bassist Ares Tavolazzi has been a member of the historical Italian prog-rock band Area.
    Great version of I'm Beginning To See The Light with short breaks by the drummer Walter Paoli.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8209023-Stefano-Bollani-Trio-Ma-LAmore-No

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  11. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Horace Silver with Junior Cook/Blue Mitchell, Paris Blues Pablo CD

[​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With Chet, I think it is worth getting any CD that you find.

For almost every Chet LP, the CD typically has bonus tracks never on LP .

Carlos B likes this.
  13. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

My question is whether you hear the bass better(?).

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  14. Lonson

Bass is not that different on my system between the Japanese 2 cd set (which sounds better to me than the later US RVG set with different cover). The bass here sounds a bit tighter. Cymbals may ring with a bit more clarity and the bass drum may be a bit punchier. I'll be keeping both sets.

15. Jazzfan58

Jazzfan58 Forum Resident

After buying KoB’s HQ version (above), my wife told me I should get some help ASAP :D

[​IMG]

16. [​IMG]
    afternoon of an elf ~ ERROLL GARNER (Mercury) SHM-CD
    12 stunning solo pieces all recorded in New York, March 14, 1955.
    7 selections were previously issued on Erroll's 7 track Mercury LP Afternoon Of An Elf (MG20090)
    The other 5 selections, all the solo pieces too, were originally issued on the EmArcy LP - Erroll (MG36069)
    *The Japanese SHM-CD edition sounds excellent and was issued 2023. Playing time is 67 minutes.

"This is a solo piano masterpiece by Erroll Garner, a great talent who maintained a one-and-only style. The "behind the beat," in which the right hand melody lags slightly behind the left hand rhythm, creates an unparalleled sense of swing."

Just over 10 years ago Dr J posted the following very positive comments about this Erroll Garner title (on the Jazz Beat thread)

Jazz Beat - Part 20

....honestly he's one of those guys who when I initially got into jazz I didn't really "get" but he's now one of my favorites. Just utterly unbelievable player, up there with Tatum in his own way in my opinion. The Mercury CD reissue of AFTERNOON OF AN ELF is all solo and has to be heard to be believed, just track after track of breathtaking on the spot composing, sometimes emulating several sections of an orchestra at the same time. But it all goes down so easy and with such good cheer and humor it's easy to miss that he's essentially doing the impossible.

After reading that I just had to get hold of a copy (if I could find one!).
    I picked up a copy last week and it is just as crucial as I knew it would be.
    Many thanks and respect due to Dr J.

17. Menehune

Menehune Annoying Fool

Larry Carlton
    Alone / But Never Alone
    MCA

This is what many would probably label as “smooth jazz,” but it is so well done and never sounds derivative or cheesy. Carlton plays acoustic guitar and occasional electric bass, with Rick Marotta on drums and a few others on keys. The SQ is superb. I consider this a disc for auditioning new equipment. Soundstage is holographic, reminds me of Donald Fagen’s The Night Fly.
    [​IMG]

Gugaz, Six String, Carlos B and 3 others like this.
  18. Lonson

Betty Carter "It's Not about the Melody" Verve cd

(With today's change it is like hearing this cd for the first time in subtle ways. Wow.

And I LOVE this cd.)

[​IMG]

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was hoping my copy of the new version would arrive today, but hopefully it will tomorrow.

Lonson likes this.
  20. For details see this thread: Do you restore old album covers?

Thanks for the prompt.

Yup, Feb 13.
    This was announced a while back and I have the audio book queued up after 3 Shades of Blue.
    Are you planning to read it?

Wow. Can't un-read that.
    I have the LP of this one, and like it a lot.
    I have another Rosolino record queued up for later, and will try and keep the artist and personal life separate.

Also available 24/96 on Qobuz streaming for the streamers here.
    This reminder was helpful.

Your wife is right. You need help finding the SACD for the surround mix.
    Plus a mono original.
    And I'm not seeing the UHQR or at least the original Classic stereo.
    You found the right place for help.

Stu02, fingerpoppin, jcarter and 7 others like this.
  21. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

22. WP: The Red Norvo Trio – The Red Norvo Trios

[​IMG]

WP: Frank Rosolino Quintet – Frank Rosolino Quintet (VSOP 1985, Mode 1957)

This was recorded June 1957, released in mono, then stereo in 1959.
    Would that be reprocessed or just very early stereo?
    I'm not hearing the hallmarks of reprocessing, but this is my first listen.

[​IMG]

NP: The Newport All Stars – Tribute To Duke (MPS BASF US 1974)

Live '69 set with Braff, Burrell, Kessell, Norvo, Venuti et al

[​IMG]

23. Jazzfan58

Jazzfan58 Forum Resident

Yup, I don’t have that particular SACD, I didn’t have a player when it was released, so I kinda forgot about it. Then I got the current version.

I have the Classic version (2001), also the Anniversary edition (the blue one), but the Classic is much better. No mono or 45 versions.

I probably will get the UHQR version, although not sure, you know after I hit 65 I started to look at everything differently.

24. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Bill Evans Trio - Explorations
    Original Jazz Classics remaster [Riverside]

[​IMG]

25. djost

djost Hyperactive!