Michael Pinder (Moody Blues) RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by roman.p, Apr 24, 2024.

1. GAW Jr.

GAW Jr. Forum Resident

RIP Mike P. "(Thinking Is) The Best Way To Travel" - one of his best. In the 'Imagine' book which came out same time as Ultimate 4 CD Box, Mike wrote about his experience joining Lennon's 'Imagine' LP session in 1971.

The Promise - 1976 LP

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My favourite member of the Moody Blues. "Have You Heard Part 1, The Voyage, Have You Heard Part 2" together as a three-part suite is one of the very best classic Moody Blues signature tracks. RIP!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  3. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another key Pinder moment I somehow left off my earlier list:

Beyond
    This instrumental was credited to Graeme Edge but it turns out that was just Mike’s way of gifting the less-prolific drummer some royalties. The track is basically a tour de force demonstration of the Mellotron’s possibilities.

BeSteVenn, Jon H., shadlet and 5 others like this.
  4. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

A real epic song.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

Sad news today. :( Rest in Peace, Mike Pinder. I've been a Moody Blues fan since I bought On the Threshold of a Dream on 2 Jan., 1970.

Simple Game has been sneaking up my list of favourite tracks by the band for a while, but I do think Lost in a Lost World is his finest song. Then there's Have You Heard, Out and In, The Best Way to Travel, How Is It We are Here, My Song, and more ...

The Promise, title track of his solo LP, is up there with his best. And let's not forget this off the same LP -

Mike Pinder, I Only Want to Love You:

6. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Shirt i own. Mike has a lot to do with it.
    [​IMG]

7. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

8. afields

afields Well-Known Member

You gave love freely to those with tears
    Your eyes were sad when you-, you saw the need
    You know that love lasts for eternity
    Let's be God's children and live in perfect peace
    Peace, perfect peace
    Perfect peace
    Peace

Would that it be so~
    RIP
    You gave love freely

9. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Apparently John’s Mellotron was an unplayable mess. Probably broke Mike’s heart a little seeing that.

10. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

RIP Mike!

11. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

In addition to Mike's family, my condolences to John and Justin. Although they hadn't played with the man in a very long time, they loved him. That was evident. John invited Mike (and Ray) to play on his 2015 solo album. Imagine how it must feel for the "Blue Jays" to lose their three bandmates in the last few years. Life is precious and I'm sure they appreciate every moment more than ever now.

In 2017/18, the DOFP 50 tour, it was great to hear Mike's songs live again. I wish the band had done more of them over the years, even if Mike himself was mostly retired. Here's a rare performance of a Mike song from about a decade ago.

12. alanhed

alanhed Forum Resident

When You’re a Free Man from Seventh Sojourn is my favorite song from Mike I think.

13. The mellotron is my favourite instrument and nobody could play it like Mike Pinder did. He will be missed.

Jon H. and Zardok like this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

RIP, Mike.

Mike and the mellotron:

[​IMG]

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

16. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

As I get older, more and more of those who influenced my life have left us. It doesn’t get easier. Mike and the Moody Blues were instrumental in my personal musical journey, and his legacy will outlive us all. Rest easy Mike, your spirit is finally free to fly forever.

17. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

[​IMG]My favorite pic of Mike, as he's the only one that I know of from that era that flashed a peace sign and didn't look like a phony. You know that he meant it.

Jimijam, Jon H., GAW Jr. and 5 others like this.
  18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I could not have said it better myself. His mellotron playing will forever be burned into my brain.

Jon H. likes this.
  19. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

There's a really nice documentary from around 1990, Legend of a Band. It was my introduction to them, in a way. I knew some songs, but it made me a fan. What's unique about it is that it's also a greatest hits, with full song performances mixed in with all the talking. Justin, John, Graeme and Ray are interviewed extensively, and of course they talk a lot about Mike. Anyway, during the end credits (as Vintage Wine plays), old video footage is seen and this image of Mike ends the show. For those who haven't seen it, I think it's out of print now, but hunt it down, it's worth a watch. Really well done.

20. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

There are a couple of pre-owned DVDs at Ebay. I bought a copy there in 2021. The Moody Blues - Legend of a Band for sale | eBay

Oatsy and Houston_Music_Fan like this.
  21. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

Wow, my musical heroes continue to pass.
    Thanks Mike for the beauty of your music which truly opened my young mind back in the day.
    R.I.P.

22. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I don't know how this news escaped me for two days, but the thought of a world without any of the original Moody Blues - a band who has enriched my life in so many ways, from my formative teenage years to present times - saddens me profoundly. RIP, Mike.

John54, Oatsy and Zardok like this.
  23. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Yet another huge loss words can’t adequately convey. One of the more important musical groups and inspirations for me personally during my lifetime.

Fly on beautiful soul.

Houston_Music_Fan, Jon H. and Oatsy like this.
  24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I watched this years ago and enjoyed it.

Houston_Music_Fan likes this.
  25. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Moody Blues are one of the few major bands with no proper biography.
    None of the band have bothered with memoirs. So that’s that.
    The massive tomes by Marc Cusham are wonderful. Great reading about the music. But for the story of the band members worlds in and out of the group and the inner sanctum tales and any of that i do bemoan that we’ll never get such a book.
    I do recommend this one though. My memory of reading this book was a lovely experience during a week in mexico at this great place, i read it on the beach and enjoyed some of the albums in the earbuds. This is a great fan book. There’s a volume 2, but this one ends at just the right time for me.
    [​IMG]

Jim57, Big Pasi, Strangeblue and 4 others like this.