Mobile Fidelity Announces Bob Dylan and Miles Davis Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It seems it's more that they announce a title before they even have received the tapes and begun the mastering... Some titles were canceled because the master tapes couldn't be found or were reserved for other reissues...

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Right. Let's not pretend these delays are because MFSL is working meticulously to perfect the transfer before pressing the CD's. They announce these things LONG before they can even be certain there will be a finished product.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That comment makes perfect sense. I imagine that once the tapes are in house they remaster it in a day.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Whatever happened to never over promise and under deliver?

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

6. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. I can't wait for the MILES DAVIS SACD's! Any word on those? I might call them tomorrow and see if they have a ballpark date.

7. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Just got my Dylan Basement Tapes shipping notice.

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Basement Tapes is on the way!

9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Please do — and assuming that Milestones is first up in the pipeline, I'd love to know when both the mono SACD and vinyl (which I've pre-ordered) are shipping.

I'm quivering with excitement — the audiophile devotion lavished on umpteen Kind of Blue versions has been in inverse proportion to any loving, pristine, cost-no-object treatment of Milestones, which is an equally great album IMO. AND THE MOFI IS MONO!**

** (sorry for egregious all-caps outburst)

10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I guess I can wait for my Miles preorders to ship. I don't have a turntable at the moment. :(

11. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

They will be released on hybrid SACD's too, you could get both the SACD and LP! I am assuming that Milestones will be first. Of all of the releases Mofi has put out (which most I have LOVED) these are it for me. I will probably buy 2 or 3 copies of each, because Miles means so much in my musical life. I KNOW these will AMAZE!!! I will put a call in tomorrow and post an update when I hear back.

12. Josquin des Prez

I get bored too easily with digital (and I even have a decent digital front end). I will wait patently for the vinyl and a table to play it on. :)

13. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I understand, some people may think vinyl enthusiasts are nuts, but I think there is a certain realism and "naturalness" inherent in analog sound that is missing from most digital (if not all). As of now I am only doing SACD, until I get the funds for a good turntable. I don't even play my 70s Sony, crap sound. But I digress...

14. Josquin des Prez

I'll have a new turntable soon enough. I have the money, I just have to wait for it to become available.

As for digital I mostly buy used or discounted classical CDs I rip and stream. Sometimes I buy high-res FLAC. But for critical listening (classical, jazz), vinyl rules the day.

15. Shadderz

Shadderz Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered the Bob Dylan LP's from Amazon.com (definitely the cheapest option for anyone based in Europe!). Will order the Miles Davis albums closer to the time.

These are probably the re-releases of the year for me....hope they are worth the wait!

16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Bob Dylan MoFi

I went to pre-order the new AF Greatest Hits disc, and I saw that there's a slew of upcoming MOFI releases coming pretty soon. Hybrid SACD discs and 180g vinyl for Blood on the Tracks, Bringing it all Back Home (45RPM), and Blonde on Blonde (45RPM). And a slew of Sundazed releases as well, they're also doing a regular 180g of Bringing it all Back Home.

Any thoughts? I'm excited about the mofi vinyl. I'm curious about the sonic differences between Bringing it all Back Home, and if I should upgrade Blood on the Tracks from my old hybrid to this one. I recall Michael Fremer having great things to say about the current Sundazed Blonde on Blonde, I wonder if MOFI could improve on it. Great time to be a Dylan fan!

17. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

I ordered a few. Not sure when they are coming out.

18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

wait, 45RPM on mofi???? I hate the 45rpms, 4 sides!

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Yeah, Blonde on Blonde is going to a 4LP release! I really want to know how it sounds.

20. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Just noticed that Amazon now lists release dates for several of the Miles Davis MoFi titles:

Milestones: July 24
    'Round About Midnight: August 28
    Sketches of Spain: November 13
    In a Silent Way: December 11
    Four & More: December 11
    Kind of Blue: December 18

21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yes!

Looks like they're also posting some release dates for the Dylan stuff; for example, Blood on the Tracks is due on November 27.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Is that vinyl or SACD? The above posts from May 14th. I pre-ordered the Basement Tapes SACD from Music Direct months ago, and I haven't gotten it yet.

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Vinyl

24. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

Please note that these dates are for the vinyl only. Nothing yet for the cd's :realmad:

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.