Mobile Fidelity Announces Bob Dylan and Miles Davis Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Before anyone asks, they are SACDs. Someone might look at your post and think MFSL decided to releases CDs instead of SACDs. ;)

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Will anyone be picking up Kind of Blue (vinyl) to compare with the Classic Records version?

3. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. I'm not doing much vinyl now, but can't wait for the SACD's. Well, I've had my eye on the new Rega P6....but that's for another thread.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh no! mfsl go to 45 rpm! so bad... for me 45 are just a merchandise technique ... (maybe sound a little better, but I hate the 4 sides) please mofi offer a normal version! 2 sides version :(

and why no Highway 61 Revisited??? why skip that album

5. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Let the 45rpm people have their day. They get so few of them. If you want convenient Hi-Rez, get the SACDs.

I'm getting the SACDs when they finally come out. If these were 90's Dylan albums I'd buy the 45rpms. I like that period a little better - to each their own.

It's a thrill any time we get ANY well-mastered hi rez of great titles. I don't care if they are late or inconvenient. Just give me the quality. I won't sweat the schedule or the playback logistics.

ccm

6. KeithH

Good question. I like the DCC gold CD and the Sony SACD, but I would like to hear what MFSL could do with the album. Maybe MFSL felt there was limited room for improvement in light of those other discs.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I don't think that's really a factor for MFSL when selecting albums to release, especially since those two mentioned reissues are OOP.

8. KeithH

I don't know. Highway 61 Revisited is one of Dylan's best-known albums, so it is a glaring omission in their SACD series. The DCC gold CD and Sony SACD are out of print but are readily available cheap. Maybe that played into their decision. We're just left to speculate.

While we're speculating, perhaps MFSL will release more Dylan SACDs, including Highway 61 Revisited, if the forthcoming titles sell well.

9. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Thought I read somewhere that the original stereo master for Highway was degraded or lost, so they wouldn't be able to put their tag on it as part of their Original Master Recording series. Anyone?

10. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Any ideas if the new MFSL Dylan will be mono or stereo?

11. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Stereo.

12. KeithH

I hadn't heard that. If so, when was this discovered (lost or degraded), and which tapes did Sony use for their SACD?

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is there good reason to believe that the Dylan/Davis MoFi SACDs will be superior to the original masterings (beyond the hi-rez aspect)?

14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I would think so...the Mofi mastering guys are quite good...in fact since their return they really haven't put out a bad mastering (which is not something that can be said for the old MFSL).

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My experience with recent MoFi releases would be yes and the mastering is my primary interest in these titles

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Ok, thanks. Not to derail the thread (needs a bump anyhow), but what are 3 examples of available MoFi SACDs that support this. PMs will work. Appreciated!

Additionally (and back on topic), is it known what all of the delays are related to? Are there any SACD release dates yet?

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Hmm... considering the cost of the 45rpm set I may just pick up the Sundazed mono.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Actually it's one of the few early Dylan stereo masters that isn't too degraded.
    The multitracks are lost though, that's why it wasn't remixed when issued originally on SACD.

19. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Right on, thanks for the clarifcation.:edthumbs:

20. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Of course. I will definitely review it. The Classic 45 RPM set is reference quality as far as I'm concerned.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Check out any of The Doobie Brothers SACDs, just as a quick example of stellar sounding work. I could go on. Little Richard on MFSL SACD is great. I could go on.

22. Bill

Bill Senior Member

23. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Just wondering how they will divide the 14 tracks of Blonde On Blonde over 8 sides, since
    "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" takes one side (I'm guessing it will stay that way).

Any suggestions?

Here's the current list:

A1 Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 4:35
    A2 Pledging My Time 3:55
    A3 Visions Of Johanna 7:30
    A4 One Of Us Must Know 4:57
    B1 I Want You 3:10
    B2 Memphis Blues Again 7:07
    B3 Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat 3:50
    B4 Just Like A Woman 4:52
    C1 Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine 3:30
    C2 Temporary Like Achilles 5:07
    C3 Absolutely Sweet Marie 4:57
    C4 4th Time Around 4:37
    C5 Obviously 5 Believers 3:37
    D1 Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands 11:20

24. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

25. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this is old news, but according to mfsl the SACD's of Milestones, 'Round About Midnight and Freewheelin' will be released "sometime in July/August". No estimates yet for the rest of 'em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.