"Nashville Skyline" - Orig. Columbia CD or current remastered CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

True. "John Wesley Harding" didn't benefit much at all. (I never bought "Oh Mercy" either as it was from 89 and sounded fine)

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The SACD slays all other digital versions. The Redbook layer is also excellent. The original master reels were discovered in a storage vault in Nashville, TN. As Steve Hoffman points out, they weren't used since the original LP cutting at CBS Nashville studios (the old Bradley Studios).

3. tps

tps Forum Resident

That's great news! I guess I'll be stopping by the record store on the way home to get a copy of the SACD.

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I prefer the remaster or the SACD to the Columbia

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I just ordered the SACD and I'll get it next week.

6. street legal

street legal Senior Member

:agree: The redbook-only remasters of "Bob Dylan" & "The Times They Are A Changin'" are also vast improvements over the original CD's. I beleive these are also both mono, which I prefer to the unnatural sounding stereo versions, with the guitar in one channel, & the harmonica in the other. I HATE that!

7. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

:righton: They are both wonderful! (Now, Columbia...how about Hard Rain...?):D :D

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm skeptical. Blonde on Blonde was a unique case, because it was specially remastered in 1999 for the standalone SACD. I assume since the remastering was already done for that, they thought it made since to slip that version onto the regular CD too. No extra work or expense required. It doesn't make sense to me that they would go to the time and expense of remastering Nashville and then throw it out there as a secret remaster.

9. street legal

street legal Senior Member

And "New Morning", "Shot of Love", & especially "The Basement Tapes".
    Hell, give us all of them. I have a bad feeling that we'll never see the less "popular" titles, however. Oh well, keep on the lookout for clean, minty vinyl, I guess.

10. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

I'm also going to go on record and state that I think Infidels sounds better on the old Columbia CD than it does on the remaster. To me, the remaster sounds a bit too "bright". The original Infidels CD is perfect.

11. OldJohnRobertson

Yeah you're probably right. Well then, the only thing I can say is that I like the sound of the old Columbia CD, so the SACD must be damn near perfection.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In my opinion the current Basement Tapes CD actually sounds very good, in terms of mastering anyway. Now of course I'd love to see an expanded/complete version that is stereo and doesn't feature overdubbing and non-Basement tracks by the Band. But if you want a CD of that album as it was originally released in 1975, the existing CD is just fine.

I haven't heard Infidels, but I think the current remaster of Blood on the Tracks is too bright, and some folks have made that complaint about other remastered Dylan CDs too (I forget which ones... Blood is the only one I've heard that I have a problem with, but I haven't heard them all). Unfortunately the original Blood CD is no prize either, sounding weak and limp and most likely not from the master. There is no really good-sounding CD of Blood on the Tracks, sadly.

13. dee

dee Senior Member

While it's still fresh in my mind, from last night, as I've been on an SACD Dylan and Stones binge, these are my impressions of the Blood On The Tracks SACD.

I think these sound especailly nice:
    You're A Big Girl Now
    Idiot Wind
    If You See Her Say Hello

I also thought these sounded pretty good to me, as well:
    You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome
    Shelter From the Storm

Some of the others I wasn't quite as enthused about.

14. dee

dee Senior Member

Of Another Side, Freewheelin', and JWH SACD's, I really like the sound of:

Ballad In Plain D
    (kinda like My Back Pages, and maybe I Don't Believe You, as well)

Corrine, Corrina
    I Shall Be Free

I like the versions of A Hard Rain's, Don't Think Twice, and I'll Be Your Baby, from the GH Volume II Remaster - more so than from the SACD's/Redbook.

:)

Love the Times Remaster, and like BIABH, BOB, and HW61. As much as that, i like these "listening projects." They're FUN!

15. dee

dee Senior Member

The one reason I didn't want to let NS go (to a friend who really likes that particular cd, and wanted it on the cheap) was just because I thought it sounded really good. But since the 2 songs I really like, I already had on a studio comp, and also from a live cd, I decided to make my friend happy and I sold it to him, then and there, for 5 bucks. :)

16. OldJohnRobertson

Everyone needs friends like you. :D

17. dee

dee Senior Member

:p It was like his favorite Dylan recording, so just one of those things!

18. OldJohnRobertson

It's mine too. :D I think Blonde on Blonde->John Wesley Harding->Nashville Skyline is his best 3-album run.

19. dee

dee Senior Member

20. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

21. Mike D'Aversa

I can't recall (off the top of my head) the sound on the remaster of the debut. But, the one for TTTAAC is in stereo.

I've never really had a problem with his original stereo mixes, sparse as they are. It wasn't just an afterthought, like like it was for the early Beatles. "Folk" music was based more around albums, than AM radio or 45's. It was deemed a more "serious" art form, that pop music wasn't really given until '67. They probably spent more time on the stereo mixes, than they did with the mono...

22. Mike D'Aversa

Well, maybe not for you Jason. But, for those of us who don't find the SACD too bright, there certainly is... :)

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, it sucks to be me. I have no problem with the mastering on Blonde on Blonde or Nashville Skyline (the only other two remasters I've heard so far) but Blood on the Tracks is just too bright for me.

The best-sounding Blood on the Tracks CD I have is a boot needledrop of the acetate with the alternate versions.

George P likes this.
  24. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I found one of the biggest improvements of the lot to be 'Oh Mercy' (SACD layer).

25. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

How do you get that kind of information? Is it in the press kit or something?
    I love the current SACD. The old CD sounded thin and lifeless, even compared to my old and scratchy used vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.