"Nashville Skyline" - Orig. Columbia CD or current remastered CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

Who's website is this is? :p

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's his business to know. If he told you he'd have to kill you. :D

3. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

By the way, the "Nashville Skyline" cover shot of Dylan holding his guitar and hat is Bob imitating the Eric Von Schmidt Prestige lp cover that is visible on the "Bringing It All Back Home" cover photo.
    And there's a later Von Schmidt lp that Dylan wrote the liner notes for, and those notes contain Dylan's take-off on Johnny Cash's "Naxhville Skyline" liner notes.
    Got that?

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Maybe I should get it as I do love "Oh Mercy" (it's a special album coming after The Wilbury's success in '88. It was his best since "Infidels" to me at the time):righton:

5. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

In regards to the SACD's - I never bought the Dylan SACD Box when it came out, partly due to money, and partly due to the fact that I didn't think I had a good enough system at the time to justify buying it. Now I read that SACD is dead. I guess my question is this; is it worth buying the SACD Box? And if so, do the discs still sound good with a non-SACD player?

6. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

Yep. To my ears, even the redbook layer sound great.

7. duggan

duggan Senior Member

8. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I'd recommend hearing it, especially if you do SACD - surprised the hell out of me.
    Infidels, Planet Waves I could barely hear much difference. Love and Theft I thought benefitted quite a bit which was odd. Would have loved to have heard TOOM, shame that one got dropped as it was on the list.

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

That was a project done RIGHT! Bravo at all involved! "Street Legal" is now a polished "gem"!:righton:

10. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Apart from the fact that these are obviously not the same version as on the official release and cannot be compared in terms of sound, the bootleg - which is still great to have - has very loud surface noise. It is not unlistenable, in fact it is a pleasure, but the statement that it is the best sounding release of BOTT cannot and should not be taken seriously. That is, if surface noise from an acetate is not "sound" to you (but splinters of an audiophile's enthusiasm)!

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hey, I grew up listening to records. I just kind of tune out the surface noise. :) Perhaps a better way of putting it would be that I prefer the tonality of that bootleg to either CD release. I also prefer my old LP. And I'm certainly not one of those people who thinks vinyl is always better, I just don't like how they mastered either CD version.

12. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

Okay I finally broke down and bought the SACD of Nashville Skyline tonight. WOW!!!! This thing sounds so much better than the original Columbia CD. I now own 3 copies of this record (SACD, Columbia CD, and UK Simply Vinyl) and I think the SACD sounds the best of all of them. Props to the team who remastered it! I don't have an SACD player, so I'm basing the sound quality off of the redbook layer.

Now, I know that Steve said the SACD uses a "first generation" master, but I'm still unclear as to what "first generation" is in reference to. Does that mean the unmastered mixdown tapes; the ones that would have been delivered to the mastering engineer for transcription to an LP cutting master? Steve can you explain?

Also, does the regular 2003 remastered CD use those "first generation" tapes or are they unique to the SACD version?

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The 2003 redbook CD features the exact same mastering as the SACD. The only thing different is the format.

15. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I will not circumvent Steve in an effort to give you the answer. I will only say cryptically, that you should always try to follow your instincts... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.