Neil Young “FU##IN' UP” (Ragged Glory re-recorded) April 20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 16, 2024.

1. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

he needed a younger band -- older members having health issues or passing away.
    Promise of the real have fans -- heard the last time they played my city , was a sold out show.

Adam Bosman and Big Blue like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Now being told by The Greedy Hand that the download won’t work until April 26th.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well the vinyl is clear and flat.
    Greedy Hand used an actual album mailer ( my first record from them ) so zero damage.
    Fed Ex brought directly to my front door.
    Got that raw fuzzy Horse sound, so I’m happy all around.

4. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

heard the album today and boy what a big disappointment. Really, my hopes weren't that high as I wondered how could this be an improvement over the original. I really don't understand his reason for redoing this . I found the original more vibrant and far more spirited. Probably never listen to this again; the original being one of Neil's top tier albums, sets a far too high of bar. It might've been better if he ventured out and redefined it as something newer rather than a re-recording that tried to recapture the mood of the recording that completely caught me by surprise when i first heard the original.

vegafleet, ranasakawa, ExHead and 4 others like this.
  5. MTCIII65

MTCIII65 Where The Loud Sound Abounds!

"Ragged Glory" is exactly the point where I became a fan of Young. I've read about plans for a deluxe treatment of it for years to no avail and was real excited to see this on the RSD list, initially thinking the day has finally arrived - (outtakes and versions cut during 1990 sessions!). Thanks to this thread I am going to hold out hope that what was dropped eventually becomes Disc 3/LP 5 of that still hoped for deluxe treatment -

slipkid likes this.
  6. Neil has said that what you (and the rest of us) want -1990 alternates and outtakes-will be part of Archives Volume IV.It might be some time until we get that.

7. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Promise of the Real are surely younger.
    Promise of the Real might have fans.
    Promise of the Real are terrible.

fra_pe, Larry Schmidt, ExHead and 4 others like this.
  8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Listening now. The guitar tones are wonderful and it seems to be well recorded, but that's about all I can say in its favour. Too many bum notes, right from the first bar. Trouble with time keeping. And Neil's voice is weak and terribly pitchy. I love Neil, but...

ExHead, Purple Jim and andyediewatt like this.
  9. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Some bum notes, pitchy vocals butttttt that guitar tone is mint. Worth the listen in itself.

10. Better than expected, but not as good as I had hoped. If they have some good songs to play NY&CH can still rock, but I don't think any NY fan will prefer these rough performances to the originals or the countless renditions already available on other live albums.

chickendinna, andyediewatt and Graham like this.
  11. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

A bit mind boggling when Rust Bucket was released only a few years back. I mean I enjoyed hearing it and but I feel sometimes Neil needs someone to say 'maybe releasing this gig isn't the best idea'. I thought he could of waited until the Love Earth tour to release something from that. The Country Home version from San Diego smokes the Toronto 2023 version. Anyways
    ..as I said I enjoyed it mainly I think for the glorious guitar noise.

bonus and Heart of Gold like this.
  12. I’ll get it and play it a bit but it is a pretty pointless release.If anyone including Neil thinks these performances are even remotely close vocally and instrumentally to those of the same songs on Rust Bucket and Weld they are delusional.
    Hard to imagine anyone deciding if they want to hear these songs live they will choose to listen to these versions.Or choosing to have this released over the once rumoured (by Neil) Weld Series.

Larry Schmidt, DTK and windfall like this.
  13. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

All of those other releases still exist though

I ALWAYS prefer new music over old. Even recent shows of old songs or eras. I've just heard RG so many times. At least this is some change up. I'll be picking it up today.

milankey and Big Blue like this.
  14. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

I had a listen and I don't see the point. Sounds bad and no drive.... I'll go back to Ragged Glory!

scottp and Alan57 like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Sounds like Neil f***ed up.

DTK, slipkid and fast'n'bulbous like this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

On a case-by-case basis.

Anyway, a nice companion to the real thing.

slipkid likes this.
  17. HeavyEarly

HeavyEarly Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for Ragged Glory - which is one of my fave albums - but, I mean, this album is what it is.
    It's a little Record Store Day gift coming alongside Crazy Horse going out on tour. They're like 80 years old now. That's the reality.
    And especially given Neil's longtime propensity for releasing (or not releasing) whatever he feels like, it seems better to have than to not have.
    Maybe it's because I live in Toronto and am annoyed I didn't get invited to the show at the Rivoli (a small club I've been to many times) but I'd rather hear this than imagine what it must have been like to be some millionaire who can have Neil Young come play your birthday party. I'd rather hear this than be scrounging the internet for some bootleg copy - which is exactly what you'd otherwise be doing.

Complaining about bum notes and pitchiness and the timing isn't tight - my dude, it's NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE!!!
    This is legit the most bizarre set of things to complain about.

Maybe it's not a great album. Maybe all the performances are better on the original album. Maybe (ok, definitely) Ragged Glory should be on vinyl already.
    But listening to them burning through the songs made me smile and made me want to see the band while they're still around.
    what more can you really ask from a rock and roll band?

milankey, kyodo_dom, Alan57 and 7 others like this.
  18. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

19. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

This album sucks!

20. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

Well duh.

I guess the well is officially "running dry"...

He had a brilliant run from 1966-2012 tho, no one can take that away from him. I quit buying every single thing he releases at this point, and I see how that has been a fantastic decision.

DaveJ and Alan57 like this.
  21. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

mmm its interesting ..got this today ..i know quite a few of the tracks .. but don't have the original Ragged Glory ..

22. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

You should get Ragged Glory. Now.

23. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The band must have rehearsed a lot. Because the first two nights of the tour they sound pretty tight and Neil’s playing is pretty darn good.

Twinge Crispy, Nosferatuz and bonus like this.
  24. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

I hope so. I’m going next month and I hope Neil’s lead guitar is better than on this awful record.

25. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

irrespective of the new Album being better or worse then the original -are the tracks different solo wise between the 2?