Neil Young “FU##IN' UP” (Ragged Glory re-recorded) April 20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 16, 2024.

1. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

I prefer this to the original. Wonderful album. Less polished in regard to the overall presentation, not reined in by any commercial considerations, better sound on the guitars and the drums. Looser, ragged and glorious. As @Steve G pointed out above "this is more Coltrane than Clapton". Spot on.

2. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

White Line is fantastic here. Always wondered why they hadn't played it.

Why is LOAL Titled 'A chance on love'? That's not a lyric in the song.

mick_sh likes this.
  3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

No, it's a lyric from Love to Burn.

Incidentally, they got that wrong too in the book Shakey. :confused:

“But the general thrust of the album is optimistic, expressing not only the pains but the growth that change can bring. “Take a chance on love,” he wails during “Love and Only Love,” a declaration so desperate it sounds like he’s addressing himself in the mirror at three A.M."

Shakey
    James McDonough

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    supernaut, slipkid and andyediewatt like this.
  4. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I picked this up on RSD, and I was absolutely blown away by this performance. The clear vinyl is perfection, and the mastering is off the charts excellent. Neil had mentioned after the gig that it felt better than it has for a long time, and you can literally feel it on this recording. You can feel the room as well.

I have always loved Ragged Glory, but this is on a completely different level as far as delivery goes. Both are essential, but this live performance is so loose.

Perfectly imperfect in fact. Ol’ Black shines with a hint of anarchy, and Micah Nelson is a perfect fit with these legends. He brings so much texture to the proceedings, and all five of them are locked into the muse. Five brilliant musicians who have the ability to play in the moment with authenticity. Simply brilliant.

5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Why are people comparing this to the Ragged Glory studio album and thinking it’s some sort of redo or revision or intended replacement? It’s just recent live versions of the album. Nothing more.

I'm happy to get a professional recording of a recent show, especially one that was secretive.

And remember you can add Cinnamon Girl from the free download that was available on the archives site a few months ago. Only missing Rockin in the Free World and it would be complete.

6. Not at all.

7. Neil is 78. I, we, are blessed that he is still out there and kicking it. His voice is indeed weaker but f it, he can do what he wants at this stage of life. He owes us nothing.

8. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

He’s leaving it all out on the field. Saw him last night. We are so blessed.

9. Tom1111199

Tom1111199 Well-Known Member

he’s released live versions of albums before: Dreamin Man (harvest moon) and Return to Greendale - arguably both usurp the original studio LPs

ARK, 905 and richierichie like this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

My favorite part of the album is the segues. Really, you hear it differently as a continuous piece. Anyone know if it was actually played that way?

milankey likes this.
  11. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I played it today. As much as I want to like it............I'll stick with one of my favorite albums of all time Ragged Glory from 1990. When I saw Neil in 2013 it was a magical experience. The Horse & Neil was still in the groove then.

craigobau and andyediewatt like this.
  12. davers

davers Forum Resident

I'm sure this has already been hashed over but for some (admittedly irrational) reason I just can't get excited about purchasing a recording of Neil playing a paid, private party - the lyrics of "This Note's For You" keep ringing in my head.

I'll probably get over myself and pick it up someday.:)

13. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Dude, that clear vinyl with my glow-in-the-dark turntable mat is pwning so hard the chicks can't stay out of my listening lair!

supernaut and Stone Turntable like this.
  14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It’s because it has been promoted as rerecordings for some reason, same way that Before and After was even though that was a live album as well.

I think record labels are seeing the success Taylor Swift is having with re-recording her albums and trying to jump on the bandwagon.

bonus likes this.
  15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yeah, not sure where I said or even implied he owed us anything, just offering a response to the album. My bad I suppose.

andyediewatt likes this.
  16. Westerwick

Westerwick Forum Resident

I just listened to a piece of one track and thought I liked the original version more, I suppose it was the vocals that didn’t seem so authoritative which is hardly surprising, thirty odd years later. You have to admire Neil’s work ethic, he is so prolific, long may he run.

supernaut and dtuck90 like this.
  17. andyediewatt

He's definitely been a hypocrite in his time. I was disappointed too especially for a CEO of Canadian Goose or whatever it's called. I'll take any NYCH album however he should of waited till Love Earth tour to release something more polished and ethically sound.

18. andyediewatt

Respond away- we can all have our opinion both critical or positive.

windfall likes this.
  19. DavyBhoy

DavyBhoy Forum Resident

Neil Young's new album has new titles...but it's old fave songs, as Ragged Glory becomes even more Ragged and even more Glorious!

Sean, 905, moops and 3 others like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Well, I gave it some listens. I kinda want to like whatever Neil puts out there but for me there is not much added value here. Maybe I will stream it sometimes again but I will not be buying it.

I realise very well he is already 78 but his more 'vulnerable' sounding voice does not make a great case for this album. It might be good for an acoustic, intimate set but not for this set of rocking songs. Musically the soloing and his guitar tone are great as always but that piano here and there takes away some of the impact these songs have.

I was hoping this would be a nice live companion to the three latest studio albums he had put out with 'Crazy Horse 3.0' as I would like to call it. But I find it somewhat underwhelming.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The Horse don't jump. They ain't spooked by no Taylor Swift.

zobalob, 905, dtuck90 and 2 others like this.
  22. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Please. He releases new music every year, with tons of archive releases in between. Neil is still EASILY one of the most prolific 'classic' acts still putting out tons of new music.

23. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I picked up Taylor Swift last week, and Neil today. Don't miss out on either, seriously

24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I might. I just listened to the album twice in a row and enjoyed every non-stop minute. I've never been as passionate about Ragged Glory as some fans.

This is a most welcome recording.

25. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

Please.

I purchased every single album and movie he released from 1966-2012.

After Psychedelic Pill, something changed and I didn't need every single release any longer.

Pissed me off when Archives II had like 3 or 4 albums I had already purchased like Tuscaloosa, Homegrown, and Hitchiker in it, so I quit buying any of them as stand-alones.

I'll pick up Archives III when it comes out.

lothianlad likes this.