Neil Young records new album with Crazy Horse-"Americana" due June 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Last night's live stream inspired this playing of the Blu ray here...LOUDLY I might add. :laugh:

2. I have to say that after living with this album for a few weeks, having it on in the backgroud in the 5 disc-player (with new Dylan, Knopfler x2, and new Tragically Hip (hey, I'm Canadian)), Americana has grown on me in a big way.

I hated it when I first heard it and now I dig it. I can't objectively defend it against his other work with the Horse, but it does have it's time and place and won't gather dust in my collection.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Psychedelic Pill is a good album, but no where near essential Neil Young for me. I'm glad I was able to pick up the vinyl for 18 quid since that's always how I prefer to hear Neil and the Horse, but I wouldn't have bothered at full price. I enjoy the long jams, but I prefer his more melancholy serious side. Spinning the vinyl for Sleeps With Angels now, and it's a much stronger effort, I forgot how much I enjoyed this album.

4. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

Just got around to picking up Americana and Psychedelic Pill and they are both fantastic.

I didn't GET Americana before I bought the album , all I listened to was a few single tracks. I really didnt like the idea of this.

However, holding the package in my hand and listening to the music, taking in the artwork and reading the booklet really made it make sense to me. Neil must have asked himself what Americana is all about and this is his answer.
    I love that in the booklet he has written a little history of each song, i really appreciated knowing where these songs came from and how they apply to Neils idea of Americana. Its a very clever album and shows a lot of respect to the old songs while branding them with his unmistakable sound. I am very surprised I ended up liking this because on paper it seemed like a bore, but after a couple listens I see this as a perfect addition to his discography.

As usual buying a NY record never disappoints. The sound quality is very high and of course the manufacturing standards of his vinyl and packaging is second to none in my opinion and is how I justify spending the stupid amount of $$ that I do on his records. These are albums I will treasure for life.

Stone Turntable and JoeRockhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.