Neil Youngs "Greatest Hits" Great in HDCD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by creativepart, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Actually the second disc is DVD-V. But it sounds great!

Kubricker likes this.
  2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

They are NOT the same. DVD-V & DVD-A are completely different codecs. DVD-As will ONLY play as hi-rez on a DVD-A compatible DVD player, whereas a DVD-V will play on any DVD player. DVD-A players have settings to set the player for either codec. If you set a DVD-A player to behave as if it was a DVD-V player, it will only play that section of the disc & ignore the DVD-A portion (in order, for instance, to play a DTS track that is in the DVD-V section that is normally ignored when it is set to DVD-A). 16/44, 24/96, etc., has nothing to do with this. The Acura TL's car stereo, for instance, will play CDs & DVD-As, but it will NOT play DVD-Vs. If they were the same, then it would be able to play them also.
    I'm sure there are MUCH more coherent answers to this out there, but that's my story & I'm sticking to it! :D

3. Larry Geller

Yes, you ARE crazy. There is ZERO 5.1 content on this disc!

4. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Are you playing it in Pro Logic II? Depending how they're mixed, some stereo tracks provide a convincing 5.1-like sound in PL II. Also, does your receiver indicate a 5.1 track is playing?

5. Larry Geller

Correct.

6. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Very...It's the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.