New Deep Purple Album (=1) Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StunnedAndRotund, Apr 24, 2024.

1. StunnedAndRotund

StunnedAndRotund Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seems like Purple fans will want to talk about the upcoming album. Hoping to separate it from discussions about various lineups and what former members are up to.

Here's the official announcement:
    It all adds up to 1 – Deep Purple

Album release date: July 19, 2024
    First single release date: April 30, 2024 (rumoured to be Portable Door)

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I loved Now What?! and didn't like anything that has come after...I'll try and keep an open mind.

3. StunnedAndRotund

Yeah. I enjoy all the Ezrin stuff, but I'm interested in hearing how McBride influenced the new one. He certainly brought some energy to their live performance.

Crimson Witch and JulesRules like this.
  4. erock85

erock85 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to what Simon McBride brings to the table, Bob Ezrin not so much...

5. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

They seem to be quiet cheeky with their album titles nowadays, you know what this album title reminds me of? Maybe its intentional, but anyway:

: )

Yeah, a smiley face, if you keep looking at it long enough anyway. But anyway looking forward to this. Cool to see them still keeping on with new material.

6. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, I love the last 3 (4) Ezrin produced records.

Kind of bummed about Steve, disappointed that when the end DOES come for this band he won't be a part of it. But I've heard good things about Simon and Purple almost never lets me down.

JulesRules and MYQ1 like this.
  7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm all in. I love all the Ezrin era records, including Turning to Crime.

zen, Sean and StunnedAndRotund like this.
  8. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Which Mark of the band are we up to now that McBride is on-board?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. StunnedAndRotund

9 (Should be mk 8. Joe Satriani is usually counted, which I don't agree with.)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  10. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Thanks. I was unsure (and was starting to run out of fingers)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Sounds interesting. I don't really keep up with them but am interested in this. No idea what is up with Steve, didn't know he left.

12. StunnedAndRotund

I had an industrial arts teacher who wouldn't be able to do it.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

He left to be with his wife who died of cancer in February: The Highway Star — In memory of Janine Morse

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

I mean at this point, this band will do whatever they want, but yeah we are at Mark IX....... I've said this many times on this forum, all I ask is, can there at least be a Mark X as well? (I hate the number 9, and I don't care if its a roman numeral or not... it's still 1 away from 10... you might as well go all the way)

Does beg the question, if Ian Paice or Ian Gillian go, for whatever reason for example, will they still continue? The only vocalist I guess would be Glenn Hughes, he's still going, Turner's still going but I'm guessing there's bad blood there, David's retiring apparently....... maybe Rod Evans will surprise us and appear again? Guess I doubt it, but life is funny sometimes.

15. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

The most amazing thing about Deep Purple is that some people still don't know how to write Gillan correctly.;)

16. Mojo7575

Mojo7575 Forum Resident

Deep Purple was the reason that rock music became a part of my life (I signed out "In Rock" from the school library and played it a hundred times or more). Now 50 years later and some perspective I still love blasting "Child In Time" and "Flight of the Rat" and together with Fireball, Machine Head , Made In Japan and Perfect Strangers is what Purple was all about. But that's where it ends. Everything the band recorded after Made in Japan was sub par, regardless of who was in the band. Endless live releases (never close to Made in Japan) and weak studio work. Ritchie Blackmore was never replaced and after keyboard wizard Jon Lord passed, the only thing their newer stuff connected with the original, was gone. The above mentioned perspective makes me realize the difference between kick-ass, quality rock & roll and bands that are trying to be and are failing. They can release an album every year, I don't care and won't listen to it.

tyinkc likes this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have listened to McBride’s solo stuff. The guitar sound is good, but his songs sound boring. I have no hope, the new album will be better than the others, butchered by Bob Ezrin.

18. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

100% agree!

tyinkc likes this.
  19. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

I am quietly optimistic.

Paice and Airey are consistently worth listening to.

Glover is solid and plays for the songs (which is fine).

Gillan is still decent and sings within his limitations now he’s lost a fair bit of range, but that’s OK, rather that than trying to rely on fake studio magic.

I heard McBride live with Don Airey’s solo project one time and he was impressive. As others have said, my general feeling is that he’s more of a straightahead rocker than Morse, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I had a ticket to see the new lineup on the last tour but being in hospital at the time killed the opportunity to go - will see them in November though.

So the worst I am expecting is a solid, enjoyable release from a legacy act.

Also it would be great to hear new music from the Steve Morse Band, Steve (necessarily) only showed a small percentage of what he could do with DP, both from a compositional and playing standpoint.

20. Depe_

Depe_ Well-Known Member

I agree, although in the last studio albums released during the Bob Ezrin era his voice has often been drowned in a lot of effects. That does not make his performance fake, but still it's something that I didn't quite like.

100% agree. I saw DP live in Milan in 2022 with Simon McBride, and to be honest I really loved the show. Too bad they will not touch Italy in their next autumn EU tour... just a couple of dates in the summer, which I won't be able to attend. The Bob Ezrin albums are not the best in their catalogue, but definitely non the worst either.

21. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

Some of this overlaps with the content posted in the official site album announcement in the first post of this thread, but there's a little more detail around tracklisting, formats etc, so hopefully useful to some:

The Highway Star — =1 it is

22. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Although I don't agree with you, I can appreciate your opinion.

However, if (for whatever reason) you "don't care" and "won't listen to" the new record, I wouldn't think that you are going to get much out of this thread, are you?

Personally, I look forward to hearing what they come up with.

23. Looking forward to a new album by the band. Will see them two times live this summer in Germany.

The album cover is a joke, I think.

24. StunnedAndRotund

I just pre-ordered the box set. Not at all interested in the lanyard, picks, prints, etc. but do want the DVD and live stuff.

I wish they'd offer a vinyl + DVD version. Given the average age of the audience, I'm a little surprised the trinkets in the box would appeal to many at all.

25. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

I'm kinda with you here. I thought Now What? was great but thought the following albums tailed off a bit. Not bad by any means but Now What had a few little twists and turns that made it interesting and the later ones became a bit more ordinary.

slipkid, Anthrax and Curveboy like this.