New Deep Purple Album (=1) Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StunnedAndRotund, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Do you mean that you think the album cover is fake?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Not sure what @rjstauber meant by their comment, but I kinda hope it IS a placeholder cover (although at this late date I doubt that's the case). I mean, I get the minimalist concept, but it's INCREDIBLY basic, and not in an attractive way (IMO). They could have presented the same idea in a manner that is much more pleasing to the eye.

I definitely get that it's the music that really counts but gosh... I sure hope they didn't pay someone for that "artwork".

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The slipcase looks better ;)

[​IMG]

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

In for the CD+DVD set.

Matthew Tate and zen like this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

Eight. I don't count Satriani. Sorry Joe. No art, no deal.
    Agreed.
    TTC is pretty cool for non-essential; and, the last time with Steve Morse.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  6. Joel Zerns

Joel Zerns Forum Resident

I am highly optimistic about this. I have a feeling they are going to lean more towards the "rock" vibe vs the "prog" feel of the last 3. I am going to try and not listen to any of it till it comes out. That will be tough!

Matthew Tate, zen and Rufus rag like this.
  7. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. For me their last three albums have been their best since Purpendicular. Interested to see if the sound is very different with Simon McBride on board.

Paice and Raziel666 like this.
  8. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Agree, even though Purpendicular is hands down my favorite non-70s DP album.

Now the sound *should* be different to some extent. I expect more rockers and different guitar soloing!

Joel Zerns likes this.
  9. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Is there any info about that '22 live stuff in the Deluxe Box Set, is it with Steve or Simon?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Depe_

Depe_ Well-Known Member

If memory serves, some of the tracks that are listed have been performed only with Simon McBride, and never with Steve Morse (e.g: Anya, 7 and 7 Is, and probably some other). Actually, they began playing Anya only in summer 2022, by the time 7 and 7 Is had already been dropped out of the set… so, this is likely to be a compilation of more than one concert.

But I could be wrong, this is just what I recall. When I saw them in Milan (october 2022), I’m 100% sure 7 and 7 Is was not played, nor Throw My Bones

11. alakulju

Where did you find the track list of the live stuff in the box set?:confused:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Actually, Anya was played when Steve entered the band and at least until 1995...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Depe_

Depe_ Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, my consideration was only about how the setlist changed during the 2022 shows. Sorry for the lacking information I wrote above.

For those interested, the live tracks are included only in the limited box set, and the tracklist is the following (from the official DP store):
    Tracklist – 10” Vinyl #1
    SIDE A Pictures Of Home / No Need To Shout
    SIDE B Nothing At All / Lazy

Tracklist – 10” Vinyl #2
    SIDE A Strange Kind Of Woman / Hush
    SIDE B 7 And 7 Is / Throw My Bones / Time For Bedlam

Tracklist – 10” Vinyl #3
    SIDE A Anya / Perfect Strangers
    SIDE B Smoke On The Water / Black Night

14. Danikk74

Danikk74 Forum Resident

Ive loved everything Purple has done since Perpendicular. can't lie, I'm nervous to hear what they sound like without him. I'm sure it will be quality, just not sure what it will sound like.

15. ToonGuns

ToonGuns Alright alright alright.

Am in two minds whether to go for the boxset or not. Those live tracks are very tempting, but I know prior releases have also had various bolt-ins which are always tempting when fomo kicks in but are usually forgotten 6 months later. I need to hear the first single I think before deciding how emotionally attached I am to this album. The final covers album aside, I love everything Steve Morse has done in DP.

16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Not that I have any intention of buying the box set but what a ridiculous and annoying idea to spread those live tracks over 3 1o" singles.

You can almost guarantee they'll get issued a few months down the track as a special edition add on to boost CD sales anyway. That's how Ear music operate.

17. alakulju

They did the same thing with Infinite and Whoosh. Being a completist chump, I got them.
    I haven't seen those live tracks released separately yet.

Those 3 10'' singles would make one nice cd!o_O

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

They won't release them separately but possibly as a bonus disc.

Actually I was thinking of the bonus CD in the 2Cd set of Infinite which became the DVD on Woosh!

Ear music are renowned for recycling live stuff over many different releases (see Alice Cooper and Foreigners recent stuff)

Matthew Tate, slipkid and JulesRules like this.
  19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

artwork is not impressive, but I'm in it for the music of course.

the 3 studio albums with Ezrin are really good, and for me, the stand out moments on each of them sit comfortably way up there on a "best of Deep Purple" compilation.
    (I leave out Turning to Crime in the equation - a covers album which I'm sure wouldn't have happened unless the world was locked down)

I'm curious to see what McBride brings to the table. Live, he has given them a kick in the a**e (not that they were slacking with Steve!!) - but what he can do writing wise is another matter.
    Looking forward to it immensley, regardless. It's a surreal time these days; Ian Hunter, soon to be 85, just delivered a superb new album, and Deep Purple, pushing 80 (at least the mk2 guys) are about to drop another studio album.
    10 years ago - I would have thought this was bordeline impossible.
    Fast forward another 10 years? Not happening.

It's a luxury fans should embrace.

Dark Horse 77, zen, Paice and 2 others like this.
  20. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

First track drops tomorrow

21. Lynxwizard

Lynxwizard Forum Resident

Don't like the records Bob Ezrin did for them at all, when he came on board the heavy sound got lost. someone on here said he made them sound better live, I dont get or see that at all

bombardir499 likes this.
  22. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Yes. My plan is to buy the vinyl on release day and the expanded CD a few months later

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  23. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I think Ezrin gave them a new lease of life at a point when they desperately needed it. Whether one likes his style of production is another matter, but he was definitely a crucial character in the Deep Purple story when he came on board.
    It had been 8 years between Rapture...and NW, and the latter was, certainly to me, the sound of a revitalised band.

Had they not teamed up with Ezrin, who knows what might have happened. No studio albums and continued relentless touring? Would they have stayed together another decade for that?
    Instead, we have 3 studio albums since then, all of which, again imo, have moments of pure brilliance. It has even brought some chart success.
    I'm sure this has prolonged the life of Deep Purple.

slipkid, Dark Horse 77, Paice and 3 others like this.
  24. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

The 3x10" vinyl from the Infinite box set feature a good handful of tracks exclusive to the box.

The Rio 2017 tracks from the Woosh box set appear on a Woosh 2 cd set exclusive to japan.
    (annoyingly, there's also a german edition with two Rio tracks on it, which are NOT on the japanese version! Haven't been able to locate a copy yet)

Matthew Tate and Jimmy Agates like this.
  25. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

on the eve before a new Deep Purple song is launched, it's a strange feeling to think that it will be the first time in 28 years a brand new Deep Purple track will NOT feature the talents of Mr.Steve Morse

Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.