New Dinosaur Jr CD and tour!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Exactly. This record is seriously great.

2. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

Yeah, this is one of my favorite albums of the year so far. I ordered mine directly from the label and they included an autographed poster...a nice surprise.

3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I just picked up this one today and will listen to it tomorrow when I have time. I'm looking forward to it! This is one of the few groups I look forward to putting out new material. I just wish I could catch them live.:edthumbs:

4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Picked up the vinyl today, have not had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm excited! Love the artwork.

5. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:righton:

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Best Buy lists the regular and deluxe 2 CD version each for $7.99 on their website. (Search "Dinosaur farm" on their website.)

The bonus disc in the deluxe 2 CD version has 4 extra songs not on the album.

Best Buy will match their online prices in the store, if the item doesn't already ring up at the same price.

7. smc2541

smc2541 Forum Resident

I bought it this afternoon at Best Buy. They only had one copy of the deluxe version and it rang up at $7.99.

Steve

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Crap. I ordered it 2 days ago online for $10 + 3 shipping. Well, $13 is still a good deal overall for a new CD with bonus tracks ... (I'm telling myself!)

9. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Well, this could have been an awesome Dj album, but the mastering is as bad as it gets. Unlistenable. Ridiculous. A CD full of great music that I can't listen to. WTF?

Calbi mastered this?? He should be ashamed of himself. :sigh:

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

dinosaur jr are on jimmy fallon's show tonight

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Holy ****!! If you thought the Dinosaur Jr. remasters were loud, these are L O U D.

It is even painful to listen to at low volumes.

"Farm" is Alternative Rock's "Death Magnetic".

Waveform for "I Want To Know You" (track 2):

12. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Beyond absurd. What a waste of a great album. :sigh:

13. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

I guess they are trying to replicate their live sound, ever see em? every song is a wall of noise.

14. TimJo

TimJo New Member

I picked this up a couple of days ago. I haven't had listened yet (still making my way through the eight sides of the Pavement reissue of Brighten The Corners). Like Brighten, it looks like Ray Janos cut Farm, and I'm sure he did his best with the tapes he was handed...

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Farm is Dino Jrs. best album. The candy pop songs wrapped in massive guitar overload have never been hookier, Murph and Barlow are the great thunder team they always wanted to be and J. Mascis enters guitar god heaven on this thing. His solos are pure emotion wrapped up in six strings (listen to "Said The people" or "I don't Wanna Go There") lyrical and sky soaring, his chording is heavy and always inventive. He has never played better. I can't believe there are people here who find this unlistenable. It is pure rock joy. I'll take being moved and thrilled by music over perfect sound any day.

16. It sounds so odd when the solo comes in - there's no space for it in the sound, with that wall of guitar, so it sounds like it's coming from behind the speakers or something. It's sure not well integrated in the mix.

I'm disappointed that they took this approach to the mastering - and I guess the vinyl is no better? - but, unlike bad remasters, where one has better sounding copies to negatively compare the remaster against, I don't think this CD sounds unlistenably bad. At least the EQ's OK. I mean, it's not Wolfmother bad!

17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Last time I saw them, Nirvana opened up.

And after hearing "Farm", I'm kicking myself for not seeing them last Sunday.

18. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Well, nobody is talking about perfect sound. Not with Dino Junior. They have never been about perfect sound. I've been a big fan since Bug hit my ears. What I'm talking about is a painful earbleeding mastering mess. A butchered disaster.

I think we all agree this is a remarkable album. That is the real tragedy here. A great album by a great band, but far too painful for me to listen to. :sigh:

19. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Anyone here got the vinyl?

I'm going to order it anyway, Beyond on Vinyl was quite a bit better than the cd, I'm hoping Farm will be the same.... Turning up the Beyond vinyl gets closer to their live sound than an ultra compressed & clipped cd mastering ever will :)

Still loving this album!

20. TimJo

TimJo New Member

I listened to the vinyl one time through on headphones, and yes it is loud.

I put it on, right after listening to a few sides of the Pavement reissue that came out on Tuesday (also cut by Ray Janos) and I had to turn the amp down or my ears were going to bleed. :sigh: I don't know that much about cutting albums, but I listen to a lot of vinyl cut by Janos, and he always does a brilliant job with what he is handed. My guess is the loudness here could be a factor of the recording, and possibly a conscience decision on the part of the band (or at least J Mascis) to make it a loud release.

Its a great album probably deserves to be remixed.

Farm - The Quiet Mix by Hoffman/Gray.

21. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Well, thank god for the vinyl. Not nearly as loud and compressed as the CD, which is godawful. Still louder than most cuttings, but the dynamics are not squashed to death like the CD. Quite listenable.

Damn, what a killer album. 20 years ago they were hitting their peak, and now 20 years later they have all that Dino jr magic back again. :cool:

22. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Just picked this up at Waterloo Records (Austin, TX). Thought I'd mention that I also received a download coupon for two tracks from the tour only 7", "I Don't Wanna Go There" and "Tarpit."

23. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Don't see all the fuss over the mastering! Just as bad as everything else out there. Sure its not audiophilic and perfect but...? I don't know. I don't really care to be honest.

The only complaint I would have over the mix is that, to be honest, let's just say if someone told me they had no bass player, I'd believe them.

edit - oh, and the solo on I Don't Wanna Go There is about 4 minutes too long.

24. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

Just seen Dinosaur Jr. yesterday here in Halifax (for free!!). My first time seeing them though I've been a fan for a long time. They were fantastic, played new stuff, classics, and they even covered The Cure's Just Like Heaven which was great. J. sounds just as good live as he does on record and man can he rip that guitar apart. Highlight for me was "Sludgefeast". Epic.

25. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/45912

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.