New Dinosaur Jr CD and tour!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

But the U.S. version is mixed too loud too.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

He entered guitar god heaven a long, long time ago.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I have to agree with those who find Dinosaur's comeback nothing short of miraculous. To make one comeback album as good as your nearly-twenty-years-ago peak is impressive, but two in a row? Wow.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I picked up the vinyl yesterday - it is a little bit better. There is actually some space for that guitar solo on the vinyl. But the "bad" mix and mastering are doubtless at least to some degree intentional.

Leaving aside the mastering issues, this record and the previous one are simply phenomenal. Those who complain that rock isn't what it used to be ought to be forced to listen to this album. I'd put Mascis up there with Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, and any of the other guitar gods of the golden age.

5. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:agree::righton:

6. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Sorry to chime in so late, but good lord, this album kicks a$s.

Jeff

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Never to late to appreciate :)
    I've been farming since the album leaked.. and the cd hasn't left my car since I bought it!

...in other news, they have had to pospone "their September 30th Toronto and October 1st Montreal dates due to an unforeseen issue that demands one of the band members be in Los Angeles on these dates to deal with a health issue. The band sincerely apologizes to its fans and looks forward to making the dates up in January 2010."

Hope everything is ok there .... I'm waiting for them to return to Australia! The gig I saw supporting 'Beyond' was awesome

8. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I'm thinking Lord Of The Rings meets Dr. Suess...;)

Huge fan of Dinosaur Jr. , ever since I first heard Green Mind as a new release way back in college.

I thought Beyond was a great comeback album. Sounds like I'll be grabbing this one as well..:righton:

9. Definitely. My issues with the mix/mastering haven't stopped me from playing this album over and over andover. As previously mentioned, my not having a better mastering to compare this against at the outset makes it easier to get into that bludgeoning sound, but I think I'll also have to pick up the vinyl just to have a slightly better sounding copy ready for when I finally get a new TT.

Interesting factoid: I was wearing my Dino Jr tour shirt recently (the one where a green monster is sneaking up on a skinhead) and got three comments on it, including a couple of quick chats on how good Farm is, one of these being at the deli counter of the local supermarket. Haven't had that kind of reaction to a rock shirt in years!!

10. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

You know it. :cool:

The two Barlow songs are the real weak points. Nothing against Lou, I've always been a big fan, but the songs just don't seem to flow with the rest of the album.

11. levi

12. levi

I've been on this board for six years and in all that time I don't remember ever signing on to praise a new record twice in 12 hours.

But holy crap, this is great!

Jeff

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I was in the Rochester airport yesterday, with an old Tour shirt on. (91? early 90's anyway.) A guy walked up to me and started talking about the last 2 releases and how much he/we liked them! :righton:

14. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

It really is a great record.....To me the best record I've heard this year so far!

15. THD

THD Forum Resident

This is easily my favorite record of 2009. I am utterly floored that a band with a twenty plus year history and a ten year layoff can come back with these past two records. Beyond was a huge surprise, and then to see that it was just a warmup for the guitar explosion that is Farm? Amazing.

And if there is one band in the world I can forgive/understand its loud mastering, it's Dinosaur Jr. I'm not even 100% sure that more dynamic range would make for a more enjoyable record. To be honest, I enjoy listening to this most in my car, where I can blast it to volumes that would be just plain rude in my apartment.

16. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

Boy, how wrong can you be in one post? Disagree with everything you wrote. Guys, y'know, you can produce a brickwall (if that's what you want, for some reason) and still leave a little breathing room to stop the clipping and distortion from occurring. I guarantee anyone with ears would like a more dynamic version of this album when they A/B'd it, though. That's how you make guitar solos breathe!

17. Modern_Mannequin

Ugh, listening to this now. If Vapor Trails by Rush had a petition to be remastered, this one deserves it doubly. This is in my short-list of the very worst masters I've heard. Can't even tell there's drumming half the time: everything is smeared together. And apparently the vinyl offers no respite!

18. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

The vinyl saved this one for me. A remarkable album, but a complete joke on CD.

19. levi

The mastering should be better, but great music trumps everything else, imo. This is an awesome album.

Jeff

20. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

If it's any consolation towards my post (which is still what I believe), I was listening to the Australian version, which is mastered far less loudly than the accidental EU one.

And all these months later, I've actually cooled off on it a bit. Some of these songs are a little too samey for me.

And where's the bass?

:wave:

21. Modern_Mannequin

That's how I feel, too. The first half is quite strong, on the second half, it's not as compelling. The awful mastering doesn't help things in the "it all sounds the same" department.

22. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

oh wow, I still listen to this like once a week. Quickly moving up to the top as my favorite Dino Jr. album...

23. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

Loving Farm and seeing DJ at the TLA in October!

24. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Yeah, this one still sizzles for me. Think I'll pull it out tonight and give it a spin. :cool:

25. Dino Jr/loudness wars anecdote: just tonight, I was at my local and to counteract a bunch of Beyonce-type crap a waitress loaded up in the jukebox, I followed up with a set of great tunes that started off with Santana...and Dino Jr's "Almost Ready". Well, when that song started up it was at least twice as loud as ""Oye Como Va", certainly more distorted, and had the owner jumping up from her table and demanding the bartender "turn it down!!!" Can't disagree that it was too loud though, in a sense!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.