New Steven Wilson album - 'Grace For Drowning'*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

My hires download from Burning Shed has no info, whatsover, on the musicians appearing on the album. No credits at all, actually. Is that info available elsewhere?
    Steve Hackett is on the album???

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I hate this idea though that jazz musicians don't "intellectualize what they are going to play beforehand." What? Some maybe, but that's not an accurate statement in my experience with jazz (including firsthand knowledge of musicians).

3. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

You are right, I think Wynton Marsalis has said so many times in interviews.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I also think he's way off base when he implies that religion is only two thousand years old, seeming to say it started with Christianity. No matter what side of the fence one falls on regarding religion, that's clearly not true. Religion is much older than that.

Still, Steve is a highly intelligent and talented and entertainingly different individual, and I enjoyed the interview.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Just got this album. Wow, I like it much more than I expected as I am definitely not a fan of Porcupine Tree. Maybe I'll have to give them another listen.

6. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

I am a big Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson fan. Overall, this is a fine album and well mastered, but it just seems a little too "atmospheric" to me. I prefer my atmosphere... with a little more energy/aggression... more in the vein of PT.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That's post 2000 Porcupine Tree. Their earlier music was more psychedelic, atmospheric. TBH it's what I prefer to listen to these days when I want to hear PT.

8. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Yup, I have The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify, both great albums, but my listening preferences lean towards Stupid Dream and later releases.

9. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

Having now watched the 4 studio session clips from the forthcoming album, I absolutely cannot wait for more!

10. MoveAlongHome

MoveAlongHome Well-Known Member

Has anyone else received a really bad vinyl copy of Grace for Drowning? Bought it new and the surface noise ruined several of the songs :(

I might be willing to try another copy if someone can tell me I just got super unlucky!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.