New Steven Wilson album - 'Grace For Drowning'*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It looks that way...I can't keep buying these hardbound books, too expensive unfortunately. They say there will be 3 additional selling sites, 2 countries, and the US to hold down shipping costs for some...but I can't find anything but a circle that takes you back to Burning Shed.

3. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

Reply from Burning Shed: There might be a Standalone blu-ray version later

4. Myke

What I should've waited for, when I bought one of 1,000 red Anesthetize books with DVDs and CDs I NEVER PLAY !?!?!?:help:

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You never play it because you don't like it or because it's a DVD and not a BR?

Anyway, you should sell it, someone will be happy to get it. :)

6. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Just be aware that Burning Shed will charge your c/c now, despite the 9/26/11 release date. This was their practice when I pre-ordered "DNA".

7. Myke

Can't, it'd break up the set. It's a hardbound book, numbered, limited edition, with the same material on the CDs, the DVDs, and the Blu Ray. I only watch the Blu Ray. It was an impulse buy of the highest order (ordered immediately when I received the e mail announcing it...sure enough, all 1,000 copies sold out in about 90 minutes). Local brick and mortars couldn't care less, and it'd be a bitch to ship...so, I just keep it, and know it's a valuable collectible.

8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Ordered it...at under $100AU landed I think its great value.

9. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Great soundclips -- sounds like I'll enjoy a lot more than the Incident. Now, to decide on the format... Choices, choices, choices...!

10. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

the deluxe set look georgous, but I think I'll pick up the 2cd set thru amazon or a local store and hope for a later bluray only release, as for the demo/bonus tracks disc I may just have to miss out on that. Too many releases I want this fall to drop $100 on this.

11. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

Interesting that, considering I live in the US, it would be $12.83 cheaper for me to by from Burning Shed in the UK that to buy from Newbury Comics in the US. I was hoping to save on shipping buying stateside.

12. Myke

Does Newbury Comics charge your credit card NOW as well ?

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It's showing as $106.15 total from Burning Shed (plus my credit card charges 3% for foreign transactions) and $100.98 from Newburry Comics for me.

Did you change your country settings to US in Burning Shed? It shows the UK shipping rate if I keep it on the default UK.

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I got the same totals from Burning Shed vs. Newbury Comics. I placed my pre-order with Newbury comics and add expedited shipping. That added $4.00 to my order, so it is near a "wash" on the price (other than I won't get foreign transactions fees on my card), but I will get the set 2 days after it is mailed (as opposed to a week or more from Burning Shed), since expedited used priority mail.

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It's generally been cheaper for me (in the USA) to order from Burning Shed than from any US retailers. Once in a while there will be a UK reseller on Amazon Marketplace that is cheaper (that worked for King Crimson ITWOP).

16. Myke

Repeating...please...

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Only purchased from them a few times in the past (and never a pre-order)... but I can tell you that my card was pre-authorized with a pending charge for the full $104.99.

So I'm not help at all (until I checked the FAQS on their website). :)

Actually - if you checked the FAQS on their website you would find this:

So I guess I could be of some help after all.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

19. Myke

Thanks Mike ! I appreciate you doing that while I drove home from work. :righton:

Happy Weekend to us all !

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I like Reesman's Goblin shirt

[​IMG]

22. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Pre-ordered the vinyl from Kscope today. :cheers:

23. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

Hi Steven, thank you for contributing here. Looking forward to your new release.

It's been a while, and I don't know if you remember me, but we spoke on the phone around the time of the London bombings re: the Deadwing DVD-A the summer it came out.

A Q about the Grace For Drowning Blu-ray...will it be authored so that it will spin up in a "direct-play" audio mode so that one does not have to fire up a projector of turn on the TV for menu navigation if audio-only playback is intended?

Cheers,
    Felix

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Amazon U.S. lists the 2-CD version for 10.82:

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Drownin...UTF8&coliid=I3QUC6THDXFRXP&colid=K9QEZYLNPR5J

That almost sounds toooo inexpensive for a new 2-CD release?:confused:

This is probably the way I will go, since I only listen to music in stereo (and, I might add, don't want to pay circa 100.00 for this title, since my wallet is hearing the siren's call for other soon-to-be released items this fall).

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for posting the link for that very interesting article/interview.

I think SW is a musical genius & it's great to see how his career has taken off. :thumbsup:

For me though, I am pretty much a one dimensional "it's all about the guitars" type of music fan, so although I will probably pick this up at some point I doubt it will be something I listen to very often judging by these comments:

"I think [with] the metal thing for me, the party’s over....I’m kind of bored with it. The guitar really is not the instrument creating the heaviness on this [solo] record. There’s very little guitar on it at all. There’s a lot of keyboards, woodwinds, percussion, drums, choir and orchestra — there’s a very wide palette of sounds on this record..."

To be honest Insurgentes didn't really do that much for me and this is probably along those lines, not "hard rocky" enough for a cretin like me, and with even less guitar.

I am eagerly awaiting what's next with Ptree though and hope his comments about being bored with metal/guitar is a passing thing, and that with Ptree he goes back to plugging in his PRS and setting the amps to 11. Ptree has always been an evolving thing to my ears so maybe the pendulum which swung them to a metalish prog sound the past 4 albums will now be swinging to something else. Guess we shall see (& hear).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.