New Steven Wilson album - 'Grace For Drowning'*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

I ordered this as well. I agree with you that no other sites mention this stand alone Blue Ray? Also when you search for it on Amazons web site it does not show it?

2. It's been quite awhile since his last song-oriented project. "The Incident" was two years ago, and Steven only wrote one tune for the Blackfield album done earlier this year.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, it no longer exists. My preorder is still there, but the product page is gone. :sigh:

4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Deluxe edition is now sold out at Burning Shed...

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

6. Myke

Canceled my pre-order. There is no stand alone Blu Ray.

7. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

8. Myke

Where did he say that ? Do you have a link please ? I never read that, is why I ask.

9. tcj

tcj Senior Member

You're not alone. You're not in much company, but you're not alone. I expressed a similar sentiment much earlier but it's gotten buried. Someone else posted something saying he only wrote one new song on Blackfield's album, so it's been two years since anything else, but that still doesn't stop him from contributing. He's a busy guy and while that's good and all, it does have a tendency to run the well dry after a while. I, personally, feel like we're starting to get a lot of rehash material from him lately. What used to feel fresh really doesn't anymore. Insurgentes, The Incident, Blackfield's DNA... this isn't Wilson at the top of his game. Between them, there are GREAT songs, but overall, I don't feel any rank among his best work. I can't remember when I last listened to any of these, to be honest. But I return to much of the rest of the P-Tree catalog and the other two Blackfield albums (and No-Man) quite frequently. It's not for lack of trying - I listened to them all a lot. But when I come back after a time away, those are not the albums I feel drawn to and it's because the music isn't all that memorable. I don't think SW has lost any of his abilities. I think he's simply spreading himself too thin. I'd rather have less releases that are incredible than mediocre music more often.

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am a big fan of Insurgentes and enjoy The Incident more than most people here it seems. But I enjoy the more experimental nature of both albums to forum favorites like Deadwing.

11. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

Cannot wait. I am also a big fan of Insurgentes. Pre-ordered, this will be epic.

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Just received an advanced copy of Grace for Drowning today and loved it on the first listen. Fans of his 1st solo album won't be disappointed. The epic Raider II is very Lizard-esque (King Crimson) with a vocal delivery lifted right from Cirkus.

13. CRSearle

CRSearle Member

As a fan of Insurgentes, this is great to hear. Can't wait to take it in myself.

14. CRSearle

CRSearle Member

Same for me. I'm letting the preorder sit in case there is some validity to it. If not, I'm sure Amazon will kill it.

15. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

From Steven's facebook page he says:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve...fficial-page/114657261887878?sk=wall&filter=2

Hi folks, some clarification, at least what I know (while I'd love to control every aspect of everything, I just can't!) : The deluxe edition is limited to 5,000 copies worldwide. Exclusive to the deluxe is of course the 120 book itself, and the bonus CD (though 3 of the pieces from the bonus CD also appear as extras on the blu-ray). The blu-ray disc / 5.1 mix will only play on a blu-ray player, ...no DVD version this time. I believe blu-ray will soon become standard for high res audio releases, and probably movies too - players can now be picked up for as little as £50 and note that you can play your regular DVDs on a blu-ray player too. A standalone blu-ray will be available too (not sure why no pre-order for that one). I think you can cancel your order for the deluxe if you just prefer the blu-ray - we can certainly use them if you prefer not to have one, it's selling pretty fast. I don't know what's going on with the high price of ordering from the local mail order companies, the whole idea was to try to make it cheaper for everyone, but I'm guessing the problem is still the cost of getting the copies out to them from the UK, even in bulk. Kinda frustrating (so here is a picture if me looking suitably grumpy). Anyway, looking into that. The double vinyl will include a drop card allowing you to download the album, but I don't know if that's lossless or compressed mp3. So a few things I need to clarify with the label - hopefully more info in a few days....See More

16. Myke

Thank you very much. I don't do Facebook, so I missed that, plus I appreciate you cutting and pasting the info. here.

Guess I'll just wait for a genuine pre-order to come up, hopefully Amazon where I have Prime for shipping. This is great news for those of us wanting only the Blu Ray.

17. CRSearle

CRSearle Member

I don't do Facebook either so thanks for the repost. Good to hear that Steve expects a stand alone BD. Considering the standalone DVD-A of Porcupine Tree's previous album outside the deluxe edition, it makes sense. Can't wait!

18. I've been waiting for one like this (more expansive, yet more cohesive than Insurgentes) for awhile. When Steven sings, I prefer him more in prog mode than metal mode.

19. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the Facebook info. Great to see a standalone Bluray coming..... :righton:

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Dissappointed that there is not a DVDA of the album, or even just a DTS DVD. Im not in a hurry to buy a blu ray player so that will wait while

21. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

22. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Amazon doesn't seem to list the Blu-ray for sale anymore. Any speculation on why or what's going on?

23. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

It disappeared from Play also, but now it's back. My guess is it will come back on Amazon also.

24. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Hope so. Unfortunately, Play does not serve us Yankee imperialists.

25. Doug Rogers

Doug Rogers Forum Resident

I've been listening to it for months, I helped Steven sequence it, IMO it's a masterpiece, his best work yet, and if you liked it on first listen, I promise you it will only get better over time like a fine wine!

Cheers,

- DR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.