NYC's Bleecker Bob's & Southpaw are closing down*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by eddiel, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

You know these stores stink because Jimbo does not shop at them. :D

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my weekly stops many years a go...so many of the great stores are gone.:(

Sounds
    Revolver
    It's Only Rock and Roll
    Second Coming Records

and a host of others...

also...Is The Strand Books Store still around?...I loved that place!

3. Jody

Jody Active Member

Take the path train across the river to downtown Jersey City and visit Iris Records. Maybe not as massive as Bleecker Bob's but there is stuff to be found. Majority of the records are $2. Mostly all used, but a small section of new issues/reissues.
    http://www.recordriots.com/iris_records_10.html

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Strand is still at 12th St and Broadway.

5. serge

serge Forum Resident

Second Coming Records closing was a loss... this not so much.

6. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

It is a very small world indeed , around that time a mate of mine who knew i was a big Ramones fan came into my record shop baring a gift of a CDr with a home printed (B&W) cover , he told me a mate of his from America had sent him it ..the name of the CD ?...Ramones Smorgasbord !

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Picked up my first "unofficial" release on CD at It's Only Rock and Roll.

A few years later, I would make weekly Friday night visits to Revolver on my way to work. Many a Yellow Dog went home with me on Saturday morning. Those were the days. :D

I would stop into Bleecker Bob's sometimes after crossing the park and visiting Second Coming, but don't think I ever purchased anything. Wrecked records. Wrecked sleeves. High prices.

All of that stopped after 9/11/2001. Traffic patterns became too much of a hassle.

8. Michael

first place I'm going If I return to NYC! Thanks John.:)

9. Michael

yes...me too! I was in both establishments weekly...
    Mark's wife Debbie was a sweetheart! Mark was a character indeed...loved them both...

10. Michael

both stores gone?:shake:
    They had a great vinyl store across the street from their main store...I must have bought thousands of promo albums throughout the years in minty condition!...parking was a bitch!:D

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

12. CDix

CDix Active Member

Generation Records is still there at least, ja? What is/was the one across the street from Electric Lady?

Haha yeah that Seinfeld episode was first thing I thought of!

13. johnlightning

johnlightning Forum Resident

Back in 'the day' (when punk and new wave music was essentially unknown to most), I shopped at Bob's as it was the only place one could get the 'new' (and first) Elvis Costello LP, and all the fine 45's from across the pond that were truly hard to find.

I never actually dealt with Bob, but his sales staff, most of whom were quite decent and helpful. Bob was an obnoxious, arrogant, priggish presence, yelling at staff and customers alike. And yes, even then, his prices for 'rare' items were ludicrously high!

I have not entered the joint in about 30 years! Friends of mine who have, reported that the 'are you kidding' pricing is still in effect for most 'rare' stuff, although Bob was not in evidence at last report, one positive for the place.

Well past it's usefulness but it seems moving to a new location... if the same old pricing is in place, it won't be long before BB's shuffles off as it should have decades ago!

On the other hand, Southpaw will be missed. Relatively spacious club, good bar, and lots of acts other clubs shunned got me in there a few times a year. Other than for the typically too loud PA BETWEEN sets that made conversation something you had to take to the lower level, a nice place with a fine staff. And BTW, Park ('The Slope') Slope has not been a problem area in years. Indeed the stretch of 5th Av. in Brooklyn that was home to Southpaw, is considered to be Brooklyn's 'little' Greenwhich Village, full of clubs and artsy stores, shops and eateries, a good place to go that did not require a trip into 'the city' (AKA: Manhattan).

14. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Always preferred Generation and its sister store on Bleecker...havent been up there for awhile;hope they're still surviving....

15. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

So are there any decent shops still near Times Square? I am going on Monday and Tuesday, and apparantly I should avoid Colony Records.......

I am looking for mostly new vinyl these days. But like older stuff of course.

16. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Generation is still there. And, last I checked, so is the cat that rules their (vinyl) basement... I've bought many records there that have given me the sneezes thanks to that beast!

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Quite to the contrary, I visit Colony whenever I am in New York. They have great memorabilia in their display cases and it's perverse fun to see what they charge for things. I would just leave my credit cards locked up somewhere. Plus, Colony is just down the street from the Brill Building, which is a real treat to see.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yeah, I used to live close to Bleecker Bob's and the prices were always high.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

So you are saying he was a native New Yorker? :winkgrin:

20. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

One time I was walking past Bleecker Bob's with a Generation Records bag in my hand. Bob called over to me and asked to look at what I had in the bag. I showed him and he told me I got "ripped off." I told him to follow me into his store where I proceeded to pull out the same records in worse condition for three times the price. He kicked me out of the store.

21. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Good to hear. I bought a lot of great stuff there, and the staff was cool. I literally lived across the street from Generation.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

LOL! Great story.

23. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Wonderful, great news, thanks! Will make plans to go next time I'm up in Nueva....

24. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Revolver was across from Electric Lady. Great store.

25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Soon to be replaced by overpriced (and overcooked) coffee!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.