Pet Sounds Mono CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Freed, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I know that the obi was green as opposed to the black obis in the Pastmasters series. I think it also came out before the Pastmasters series hence the Greenline distinction, but I'm no expert.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thank you. And thank you, everyone. I've got enough different versions that I'm gonna let this one go.

3. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

$129.00?

Why?

It's made from a Dolby A dub copy of the second gen. tape.

Get the old Capitol green label 1980s LP for $6.00 and get a better sound (fuller, richer, no 10k boost).

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The Greenline series was released in the late '80 (CP28-****). Don't confuse these with the 2 CD sets from the CP32 series which also have a CP28 catalogue number (2,800 Yen X 2 CDs = 5,600 Yen price point) - these are not part of the "Greenline" series.

The CP28 "Pet Sounds" isn't a promo release as far as I can tell, nor is it extremely rare, although, it isn't falling from the trees, either. I keep reading it was pulled without seeing the original source mentioned. Maybe they were pull (I don't know), but these can be found on the shelves in the used stores with a bit of searching. Some of the Beach Boys CP21 Pastmasters CD are easier to find than the CP28 "Pet Sounds" and a few of the CP21 titles are much harder.

I didn't like the CP21 Pastmasters version of "Pet Sounds".

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't much care for the one I've got. The plastic wrapping is so tight, the case is too much trouble to put back. So I never listen to it. Some aspects of collecting are just stupid.

8. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

If I remember right, the CP21 was made from the Duophonic tape of Pet Sounds, hence the poor sound quality.

9. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I always figured that the difference between the GL and the DCC was similar to the difference between the Japanese 35DP4 "Wish You Were Here" CD and the Sony SBM Mastersound (The 35DP4 has that smoother Japanese sound and the Mastersound, while not as smooth as the 35DP4, has more detail and dynamics. I could be totally wrong on this, and I don't want to be putting out bad information (Remember, I've never heard the DCC), but I've wondered if that was an accurate description.

Anyone?

10. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I DO know that I will be getting the Audio Fidelity CD when it comes out.

11. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

What's the skinny on the L.A. cut?

12. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Why? I'll tell you why! Tepp Records is not exactly known for their good deals. Their prices are usually two to five times the going prices. It's really not that rare. Sure, it was withdrawn by parent company EMI, but it must have sold a lot of copies before it was pulled. A patient buyer can find it for a whole lot less.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The real reason is becase that seller knows there's a sucker born every minute!

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thank you for the link :)

Could someone tell me the cat number of this one? I will look out for a copy

Thanks

Simon :)

15. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

N-16156

Attached Files:

16. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Is the CP21 actually duophonic? If so, I want it!!! :righton:

17. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

The Greenline is not a flat transfer, about that there is no question. In previous threads it was mentioned that it's the same mastering as the Pastmasters Pet Sounds (which everybody hates), the original 1990 CD, and the 1998 Japan mini-LP CD, and therefore sounds, or should sound, no different than any of those. But I too find it sounds better than any of those, but as far as why, I don't know.

18. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

I will! However, WIBN doesn't sound good on there either.

19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:righton:

Thank you

Simon :)

20. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

It is labeled "Greenline 2800" on the spine. There was also a Greenline 2800 CD of Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) which I've been trying to track down.

21. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

The Greenline CD is not the same mastering as any other Pet Sounds CD, Japanese or otherwise. The proof is in the details.

The Pastmasters CD is simply a reissue of the original 1966 album, with no bonus tracks. Presumably, it was made from whatever copy of the original PS master tape was sent to Japan in the 1960s..

The Greenline CD came out in 1987 and, unlike any other PS release anywhere at any time, features only two bonus tracks -- "Unreleased BKG's" and "Hang On To Your Ego." The digital master tape for that variation was prepared by Mark Linett in 1987 for worldwide release as the first shot in a planned "Beach Boys on CD" reissue program. In preparation for that, a copy of the master was sent to Japan. Shortly thereafter, the reissue program got caught up in internal Beach Boys/Capitol politics and the PS release was cancelled. Somehow, though, Japan didn't get the word in time and they actually put it out -- briefly, before it was quickly recalled.

In 1990, the reissue program finally kicked into gear, but the Pet Sounds master was redone to include a third bonus track ("Trombone Dixie"). New tapes were distributed worldwide, and the album was remastered with the new tape.

The 1998 Japan mini-LP package used (I think) the no-bonus-tracks remastering that was done for the Pet Sounds Sessions box set. (I'm not 100 percent sure about this, but since it doesn't include the two bonus tracks, it certainly isn't the same mastering as the Greenline CD.)

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

The 1990 CD was the first Pet Sounds I'd heard since 1978, when a huge chunk of my "B" albums got lost or stolen during a move. I played it so much, "Trombone Dixie" has become an essential track for me. Hence, I like the 1990 CD better than any other. I hope "Trombone Dixie" will be included in this new release.

23. Traxinet

Traxinet Active Member

Yeah, I've never heard of this "Greenline" release either. Strange. I'm extremely satisfied with my current DCC copy, though. From what source will Mr. Hoffman be mastering his newest Audio Fidelity version with-- a safety copy of the tape?

24. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, I thought the 1987 digital mono master was used for the "40th Anniversary" edition out in 2006 with the intro to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" restored by fading out the intro from another copy???? It was remastered in 2005. Am I wrong?

Chris

25. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Mark Linett, from Keyboard magazine:

"Recently Capitol did a search in their library and discovered a tape that I thought had been destroyed, which was the original flat digital transfer we had done of the original mono master prior to working on it in Sonic; it was 16-bit, 44.1 transfer. We put it up and it sounded incredible. So I remastered the album from that, and I think finally the mono album sounds on CD the way Brian Wilson originally intended." [emphasis mine]

While the same basic master tape may have been used for both the Greenline release and the 40th Anniversay release, they're obviously different remasterings. There's also the fact that the digital transfer Linett is talking about contains only the PS album proper. From it, he would've had to create a new master tape for the Greenline release in order to add the two bonus tracks. Who knows what EQ and processing differences may exist between the two masterings? IMHO, the Greenline release sounds much better than the 40th Anniversary set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.