Pet Sounds Mono CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Freed, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

It's also worth noting that Capitol released the abriged version of Summer Days on cd in 1987 (I'm not exactly sure of the year, possibly 1989?) and retitled it California Girls. It uses the same cover shot as Summer Days, Summer Nights.

I have it and like the sound on it, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Pastmasters or Greenline versions.

2. Many thanks for the explanation. Until today I didn't know there was a Greenline Pet Sounds and now I have to add one to my collection just out of curiosity.

3. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

I remember seeing that, and thinking, oh no, here we go again! I think that California Girls CD was a "trial balloon".

4. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Can anyone tell me when the Japanese ECS-70111 LP of Pet Sounds came out and what source was used? The only date I can find is on the OBI "1877/1977 (circular logo) 100 years of recorded sound". I don't remember when I got it, but it was pre-CD.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Let's not forget that the 1990 Capitol cd has some varispeeding issues. How on earth were those missed during the transfer and mastering? :confused:

6. Feelflows

Feelflows New Member

Just in case anyone is wondering about the 2800 Greenline Summer Days & Summer Nights it's the same tape source as the CP21 Pastmasters disc. I remember reading that the folks at Toshiba tried their damndest to get the proper mixes for both tracks, but simply released what they had when the deadline came and Capitol hadn't located the tapes. I guess they just pressed the CP28 up again under a new catlog # now that there was proper permission. Same peaks, same Copy CRCs- nearly the same sound when played back on a component CD player.

Hope that clears things up. I'll still keep both for the different OBIs & back covers- though maybe I should sell my Pastmasters to help subsidize my CP28-1002 SDSN acquisition :shh:

7. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Can you elaborate on these varispeeding issues further?

Derek

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Good to know that I don't need to replace my $15 Pastmasters Summer Days & Summer Nights :righton:

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'll have to dig up the cd but I recall a major one in Here Today, after the 2nd chorus just as the short organ bit occurs. I know there are a few others.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sadly, it's the old 1990 version :sigh:

In fact, all the 1998 mini-LPs are from that re-issue campaign - or rather, they are cloned from the single album discs that Capitol decided to release in the mid 90's using the mastering from the original two-fer series but split into ~30 minute CDs with no bonus tracks :wtf:

If you look at the mini-LPs you will see the TOCP.... catalogue number with the US catalogue number below.

However...

The titles in the 1998 mini-LP series that weren't included in the original two-fer series are from much better sources. So, Endless Summer and Spirit Of America are both great sounding discs. Made In USA is the same as the standard US release as I recall - another great sounding CD, complete with the 'alternate mix' of "Wouldn't It Be Nice". [I forget, what's the story on that?!]

I wrote an apology a couple of years back about all this as I had originally posted that the mini-LPs were better than the two-fers - with at least a little excuse to let me off... ;)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=81201

[it seems the image links are dead - it's a server problem at work. The files are there - I'll see if I can get our tech dude to sort it out]

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The images are back up :thumbsup:

Incidentally, I started another thread to get to the bottom of the confusion over the CDs derived from the "1987" digital tape copy here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=197858

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.