Porcupine Tree "Deadwing" first impressions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I also waited it out for the DVD Audio (for the bonus material) and CD Universe shipped it out Monday :goodie: .

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was lucky to find the DVD-Audio/DTS disc today at my local Tower. They only had one copy and I had the whole staff scouring the store for that one elusive copy.

Haven't had a chance to try the DVDA side but the DTS side was wonderful last night (as heard on the Limited Edition book version from PT's website).

I would imagine the surround mixes are similar but the DVDA tracks should sound even better than the DTS.

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Another off-topic comment - Porcupine Tree are releasing "XM2" later this month, their second live-in-studio album. The first one is excellent (got mine autographed when I saw the band in Stuttgart). Track listing for this one is shesmovedon, Fadeaway, Trains, Hatesong, Pure Narcotic, Russia on Ice, Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth before it is Recycled, and Feel So Low.

Only available through their website and at gigs.

5. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

6. JohnG

thanks for the info, I'll make sure I look for one at May 20th's show in
    NYC.

btw....for those without a dedicated DVD Audio player, you can still pick up the DTS version if your set-up is DTS equipped. If you enjoy DTS sound, get this disc!!! :righton:

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be picking this up.

8. JohnG

10. Mother And Child Divided
    11. Revenant
    12. Half Light

Concerning the 3 bonus cuts found on the DTS disc, I played them last night.

"Mother And Child Divided" is a nice 3 minute moody instrumental peice.

"Revenant" is a 5 minute harder tune that would have fit nicely in "Deadwing" proper. Sounds great in 5.1.

"Half Light" is another mellow moody tune, very pleasant.

On the extras is a 'making of doc' and a 2 minute trailer for "Deadwing" that is actually pretty cool. This should be shown on outlets like MTV. It would attract a few fans. It goes through the 9 songs with video images. Nicely done.

9. Tyler

I went to Tower records last night to pick up the Deadwing DVD-A. They've done some re-arranging since the last time I was there. So I asked the girl behind the counter where they moved the DVD Audio discs. She told me that if I wanted to buy a DVD, I had to go next door to Tower video.....

I found the corner where the SACDs and DVD-A discs were stocked. They didn't have a single copy of the Deadwing DVD-A (or one on order). They did have one copy of "In Absentia" on DVD-A though.

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I believe you can see that one on their Web site. I know I saw it somewhere.

11. Cyaneyes

Cyaneyes Forum Resident

Just listened to this for the first time yesterday. This CD is clipped to hell. :realmad:

I knew it would be bad when I played it casually on Tuesday, and saw my digital VU meter not budging from -0.0 db. Then yesterday I listened to Shallow through headphones, and heard something "funny" in the left channel at 14 seconds in. Sure enough:

[​IMG]

And it's not even a drum beat, it's a sliding guitar riff! You don't want to see a screenshot of how badly the drums are clipped, believe me. Who are these people? Do they not listen to their own music before it's released? Hot is one thing, this is simply defective.

Does anyone with the DVD-A know if it's a different mastering? (Free of clipression?)

12. The image looks to me like there is DC offset.

Andrew

13. Cyaneyes

Cyaneyes Forum Resident

The guitar is just panned left. It's that way for the whole track.

14. JohnG

Yes, the cd version is maximized to much. I noticed it when listening to the cd in my wife's mini-van (the van is very sensitive to over-maximized cds). In that van, over-maximized cds sound distorted.

It sounds ok in my own car (which has better electronics, I can tame a hot cd via my Pioneer EQ).

The DVDA version is much better than the cd version if you are sensitive to cds mastered to loud.

I guess even PT has joined the bandwagon of making music explode out of one's speakers even at low volume.

15. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

John, to what degree can we construe the DVD-Audio to be better? Can you illustrate it by sharing some examples?

16. JohnG

I can't do waveforms but to my ears the DVDA is the way to go if sonics are your main concern. Not everyone is bothered by hot mastering like we are, its par for the course for most hard rock cds these days.

17. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Don't forget there is a fourth bonus cut - shesmovedon (rerecord) in 5.1 - go to the extras menu and press up from any of the buttons to highlight the heart - press play and you're away!

18. JohnG

thanks for the tip.... I did not know that. :)

19. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Just a heads up - and there may be a better thread for this as well, if so my apologies - but Steven Wilson's side project, Blackfield, with Aviv Geffen is now available at yourmusic.com.

20. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

The Blackfield release is not like PT, IMO. It is more like an ambient thing, than the progressive rock of Porcupine Tree.
    I've not heard Deadwing as of yet, however they played most of it last night here in Toronto and it was great.
    A few weeks back I was gifted with the DVD-A of In absentia and it is far better than the CD version. I have only heard it stereo on my Arcam DVD player (non-DVD-A).
    Not sure if I should spring for the vinyl or the DVD-A?

Brian

21. JohnG

The more I listen to Deadwing the more I love it.

It really is a solid work.

22. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Deadwing is, by far, the best album I have bought in a long time. I can't stop playing the title track. The DVD-A surround mix is incredible. Another Elliott Scheiner classic!!!

23. Bob R

Bob R New Member

Ouch! I just spent $17 for Blackfield - and it's worth every penny.

Deadwing is a natural progresion from In Absentia.

Not much not to love here..

24. JohnG

I have that Blackfield CD and if you like Porcupine Tree, then you also dig Blackfield.

25. Tyler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.