Porcupine Tree "Deadwing" first impressions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Great review!

I guess what I’m saying is that the band has really done well on this release but is slightly handicapped by being too good. Their previous disc was just that strong, but “Deadwing” is still a worthy follow-up, deserving of real estate in your CD player. Just don’t forget to turn up the bass, keep your hands behind the safety bar and enjoy the ride.

2. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Just picked up Deadwing today. It is amazing!

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

If you really like "Deadwing" then you'll probably enjoy "In Absentia". Eventually you'll want to work backwards and sample the rest of their catalog.

I must also chime in on Steven Wilson's side project "Blackfield". That disc is just as good as anything released by Porcupine Tree, great album.

4. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Blackfield is excellent.
    I've been on a heavy PT kick ever since just before Deadwing came out. I've been abusing the hell out of everything post Voyage 34. Deadwing is my drug of choice right now. It's taken me a few listens to fully appreciate it, but appreciate it I do! This is another one of those bands where I could never rank their albums in order of my favorites. They're all my favorite.

5. JohnG

I agree, I would have a hard time picking a favorite....they all have some great highlights.

I forced i'm partial to Stupid Dream because that was the CD I first purchased many years ago.

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Stupid Dream is excellent. My favorite is probably Lightbulb Sun. I really like everything they've ever done. I think Deadwing is among their best.

7. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I love Deadwing.

The new version of Up the Downstair with Gavin Harrison's drumming is also really great. The music is a perfect fit between Voyage 34 and The Sky Moves Sideways, I find.

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I haven't yet gotten the new version of Up The Downstair (I thought it was coming out next week). I do hav the new version of On The Sunday of Life, and I like it a lot. It's an improvement over the original.

9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Just got an email saying XM2 was shipped to me today....looking forward to that one!!!

And I think the UTD release date IS next Tuesday, in the U.S. Think it's been out for a bit now in Europe. I preordered it from CDuniverse.com (best price I've found) a while back, and have been patiently waiting for it for what seems like forever.

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Been digging XMII quite a bit. If you like PT, I definitely recommend this. Not sure it's even available anymore, so expect to pay $$ on ebay for it.

I also received the 2 disc remaster of "Up the Downstair" today. This includes the previously difficult to find (and expensive) "Staircase Infinities" on disc 2. The original UTD was pretty much (like the 1st PT album) a Steven Wilson solo effort, with a touch of Barbieri and Colin Edwin. The original electronic drums have been replaced with real drumming by Gavin Harrison for this remaster, and it sounds FANTASTIC!! It's like I'm hearing this album for the first time! Jump on this one, well worth it!

12. Robert Lan

I agree. This is the quintet lineup with John Wesley on backing vocals and guitar (he sings lead vocals on Fadeaway) and Gavin Harrison on drums. Five of the tracks are from Lightbulb Sun. There's also a superb version of Trains, one of my favorite tracks from In Absentia. The presence of Wesley's guitar makes for a much more relaxed presentation of the songs, I believe.

Seems like it's now gone. I checked a few minutes ago and it was out of stock.

Still listening to Deadwing on a regular basis. Some of my faves are Mellotron Scratch, Open Car and Start of Something Beautiful.

13. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

The DVD-Audio mix blows away the CD mix, and DTS mix. I have both the DVD-Audio (which includes DTS) and CD and can attest. The openness, airiness, instrument separation, and clarity on the DVD-Audio are miles ahead of the CD. The DVD-Audio mix is much less compressed than the DTS version. The DVD-Audio mix is very adventurous and the surrounds are very active and cranked up just as high as the front 3 speakers. There is no shortage of bass as well.

Here are some examples: On the title track, the rapid-fire "spoken word" type parts go from front speakers to surround speakers with each line. On Halo, the filtered-voice part alternates on all 5 full channel speakers on the second verse and then at the end of the song, Steven's voice spins around the room in a circle. On Glass Arm Shattered, it sounds like heaven's gates just opened with its massive soundstage, with the song ending with a scratchy record rotating through all 5 speakers (sounding like a turntable spinning in your room).

You also get 3 extra songs on the DVD-Audio (4 if you include shesmovedon) in 5.1, plus the 2 videos from the Deadwing website, lyrics, and an interview. Don't let the 24/48 mix fool you - its as good as any 96 khz mixed 5.1 material. This is reference quality stuff. A huge effort and a DVD-Audio to really show off this band in their full glory. :edthumbs:

14. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

15. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the bullets, Felix.

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Kind of ironic when the CD is clipped to hell. I must say I think the album is great, just got it a couple of days ago and hasnt been out my system, but I was a bit concerned about the drum sound and the general loudness of it all.

17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Just noticed that Deadwing is now available at yourmusic.com (and BMG I assume), for anyone who's potentially interested in picking this up but hasn't yet!

18. Tyler

This past week I received the "Lazarus" import single from amazon. It contains two tracks ("So Called Friend" and "Half Light) that were supposed to close the album before the superior "Glass Arm Shattering" was written and used as the album closer. Both tracks are excellent, but it's a shame that "So Called Friend" wasn't included on the DVD-A as a bonus track.

19. JohnG

"So Called Friend" was added to the special edition book version of Deadwing sold thru their website 2 months ago.

Also thanks for the reminder about yourmusic, I could do with another copy just for the car.

20. Tyler

I really wanted the DVD-A version, so I passed on the "Book edition" of Deadwing. Apparently due to license issues with DTS (who made the DVD-A version), the DVD-A disc couldn't be put in the special edition of Deadwing.

21. Robert Lan

Must be only on the 5.1 track of the 'book version'—is that possible ? The stereo track doesn't have it. Neither does the CD. (Note however that the 'book version' CD includes the new recording of 'shesmovedon'. The UK version of the CD does not.)

Both 'So Called Friend' and 'Half Light' are available on the vinyl pressings of Deadwing.

22. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

23. Tyler

Nice interview, thanks for the link.

24. Dave D

Dave D Done!

From the article:

:righton:

25. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I never even heard of these guys until a friend of mine mentioned them to me yesterday. Who are these guys? What do they sound like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.