Porcupine Tree "Deadwing" first impressions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'm surprised by that. I think Stupid Dream fits in nicely between Signify and Lightbulb Sun. I think their last 5 albums have been very consistent. I would've thought that if you like one, you'll like them all.

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Agreed, though I think even in trucated form Even Less is a great song.

3. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

How true ! I even dig Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape. If you like On The Sunday Of Life you have to get this. It's like the second half of a long, trippy album. Looking forward to the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun re-issues.

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

The Providence show should be a memorable one. Blackfield, Porcupine Tree leader Steven Wilson's other main project, will be opening for Porcupine Tree. This show is on September 28th, the only show on this tour where Blackfield will be the opener.

5. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Deadwing ... strong album ... it's great thesse guys still producing good stuff. Most bands have a honeymoon period then it all goes downhill.
    Must try to get hold of Lightbulb Sun.

6. Tyler

If you haven't heard Steven Wilson's "Blackfield" project; there's a great video for the song "Pain" here: http://www.blackfield.org/?s=news

Scroll down to the October 23rd 2004 post. There are three sizes you can download, the largest file has exceptional audio and video quality.

Blackfield is one of the best releases of 2005, Porcupine Tree fans should enjoy it.

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I'm going to see PT for the first time on 10/10, and R. Fripp is opening act. :winkgrin:

9. Rando

Rando Active Member

Sorry, I'm way late for the party.

I'd heard "Porcupine Tree" mentioned on this board, and saw a forum member with the cover of "Deadwing" as an avatar ... so yesterday, when I was at Good Guys during their final weekend of the "Going Out of Business" sale, I saw the DTS "Deadwing" DVD-A for sale. I bought it for $7.50.

Good god. How could this band have slipped under my radar? Unbelievably talented, incredible tunes. The surround mix is knocking my socks off.

I went back today and got the DVD-A of "In Absentia" for $7.50. That's blowing my mind as well.

Yet another example of this board expanding my musical horizons. Thanks guys! :wave:

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

They are awesome. Try and catch them live sometime.

11. Tyler

I'd suggest picking up a copy of "Signify" next. One of Porcupine Tree's best albums, Stupid Dream, will be reissued as a CD/DVD-A sometime early next year.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I agree with Tyler's recommendation. For someone coming into PT via Deadwing & In Absentia, I think Signify is a good transition into the rest of their material. Coma Divine after that, perhaps?

I'd also strongly recommend Stupid Dream & Lightbulb Sun (and Recordings!), except that they're not in print. Definitely worth picking up the upcoming remasters for anyone who doesn't have them.

I was also hoping these (SD & LS) would follow suit with the other remasters - meaning a bonus redbook disc of related material (b-sides, unreleased tracks, etc) but it doesn't appear to be the case.

13. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Agreed. Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, Signify, and Coma Divine are all excellent. The band's website also has a couple of excellent live cd's: XMII and Warszawa.

For earlier stuff, I also like The Sky Moved Sideways, Up The Downstair, and On The Sunday of Life. The earlier you go the trippier, more psychedelic they get.

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I liked Deadwing a lot at first but I dont listen to it much now. The CD version sounds clipped and maxxed too.

15. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Seems to be one person or another has recommended every release in various formats. Could this be a sign?
    I might add that I would like to add more DVD-A titles, as liked In Absentia, way more than the redbook. I also preferred Deadwing on vinyl over the redbook.
    There is also a vinyl only (I believe) compilation called Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape, Archive Material 1984-1991 that is quite essential for those of use who like the earlier trippy material. I bought it at one of their shows a couple of years back, so i'm not certian of its' availibility.

Brian

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Other than that this is a normal thread?

"Hey guys, what's the best album by [artist]?"

then 4 pages where every album, comp, reissue, vinyl, and Japanese mini-LP is listed :)

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

18. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

After several listens of Stupid Dream I finallly like\get this album. Very good.
    Any one compared the Euro's\USA's, Remasters of the earlier titles?

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

That's because every one of their albums is great. I personally like their last 5 better than their first 3, but I really like them all a lot.

20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape was also available on cd, in a very limited number. It fetches big bucks on ebay these days, unfortunately. There's one on there now that's up to $61.00, with 5 days left. And a vinyl copy with a buy-it-now price of $250.00.

21. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

spaceboy, there is an official cd version of "yellow hedgerow dreamscape."

usually as pricey as the vinyl, maybe a bit less.

you can very often find the vinyl at their live shows, but i have not seen the cd at a show.

22. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Agreed! I like all their stuff. I saw them in May of this year in Toronto and they had no mechandise for sale. Only paid $40 Canadian for the 'Dreamscape LP.

Brian

23. Rando

Rando Active Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys -- I have a lot of new music now to digest. :)

24. Delta Steve

Delta Steve Forum Resident

Saw Porcupine Tree last night in Cambridge UK at the Junction, the last night of the tour, had'nt seen then live before, Stunning!! Nearly 2 hours of a great cross section of their material including Lazarus (we almost got a christmas chorus!)and several other tracks from Deadwing. Also stuff from I Signify and In Absentia and some earlier stuff which also went down well from Stupid Dream which Steve Wilson said was due to be rereleased in 2006. What struck me was though was what a tight band with GREAT sound from the desk. There was also some great intersong chat from Steve. If you have a chance go see them in 2006. And I must not forget Mr Robert Fripp supported PT with a 40 minute soundscape which was apprieciated by "most" of the audience. Still think he is a genius with the soundtreatments he adds. What a night!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.