"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut"--Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ProfBoz, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't know; they already released a portion of them on the standard deluxe edition reissue at the time the box set was released, so any new release containing the demos will have limited sales potential considering many targeted consumers will either have the box set of the standard CD version. Still, resurrecting this thread was a reminder of how ineffectively this box set put together.

2. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Especially considering that the entire 5.1 version of Quadrophenia was released separately just a couple of years later!

dee likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, the incomplete 5.1 mix was a head-scratcher. Perhaps a deadline approached and the 5.1 mix was unfinished for whatever reason, so they simply included an incomplete version. Very odd indeed. That along with no band outtakes or 1973 live material (two different multitracked concerts in the archives screaming for an official release); no original mix; and bonus content exclusive to Townshend demos (some given modern-period overdubs) guaranteed that this was one of the most underwhelming and disappointing box sets ever issued. Still, it is Quadrophenia -- at the right price, hard to pass up for Who enthusiasts. Oh, what could have been....

WhoTapes1 and dee like this.
  4. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Roger was probably the biggest complainer in this regard!

5. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

I don't like the overdubbed drums, but they're only on three songs. I rather there be NONE, but they're really not bad. Plus, Sea & Sand is available on Scoop 3 in it's original, naked form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.