Question for Steve--Sony Rock Artifacts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jgrig0, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

My pleasure. I only found out because after I read this thread, I immediately went to half.com and ordered all four! I can't wait! :0)

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Michael,

You are probably right, or a better memory of what I have in stock!

Bob:)

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have all four volumes and like having them in my collection. If I were to guess why the sales figures were so low, I would attribute it to (a) many of the tracks being very obscure and (b) artwork that almost screams "Don't buy this disc!" What probably seemed cute or funny in someone's mind instead was just unappealing from a consumer perspective.

Beaglemaster likes this.
  4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

From the day they were issued, I said that the artwork was a total and complete disaster.

Why didnt they just put a nice Vintage CBS owned record label on the front of each vol?

Like, the green "Date" Label for Vol 1, The old Red Columbia "360" label for vol 2, etc...... It would have looked 1000X better.

Mikey

Beaglemaster likes this.
  5. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I know what album you're talking about. It's called "Pop Classics Of The 60's". Besides remixing "Red Rubber Ball" without the calliope, they also remixed "Kind Of A Drag"(was that ever in stereo before this release?), "Mr. Tamborine Man", "More Today Than Yesterday", and "I Left My Heart In San Francisco". It was released in 1989 so this was done before Bob Irwin started doing compilations for Sony. All of the remixes and remastering were done by Mark Wilder.

Beaglemaster likes this.
  6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I picked up Volume 3 and enjoy the sound. Really obscure stuff on here, sounds like regional hits on AM radio.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I am listening to Vol 2-a great recreation of 70s top 40 radio-wow! I haven't heard a few of the songs on here-Playground In Your Mind-Clint Holmes and Son Of My Father-Chicory. The best Versions of Magnet and Steel, I Go Crazy, It Never Rains in Southern California, and Wildfire I've heard .

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Jack_Straw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.