Ramones 1st lp, Spotting an original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geoman076, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I'm reasonably sure only the first two albums were marketed by ABC in their initial pressings (Warner Bros. after that.) I'm not entirely sure how you'd determine 1st pressings on the later ones. I could check matrix info in the runoff groove area -- I bought most of the LPs when they were issued.

2. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

[​IMG]

It's one of the greatest debut albums ever in my book. And I cherish my US white label test pressing. It sounds stunning!

Cheers, Robert

bonestorm likes this.
  3. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!! Thread Starter

I think you win the "Most awesome post #5" in the history of the forum Robert!

A test pressing?????:eek: :eek: :righton:

Welcome!!

4. Robert Haagsma

,,I think you win the "Most awesome post #5" in the history of the forum Robert!"

Thanks, I like this forum quite a bit. I'll be back :^)

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Robert, that is a gem of a find. nice one! :)

6. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

There has to be a story on how it came into your possesion.

7. Robert Haagsma

No, there is no great story behind how I got this album. Somebody dumped a nice rock & punk collection at a local record store over here in Rotterdam (Holland) many years back. I was one of the first to check these new arrivals. I think I paid about $ 25,- for it. It was played once or twice, not much more.

As a writer for various Dutch music mags and newspapers I have interviewed the brothers a few times over the years. Nice guys, especially Joey.

Cheers,

Robert

8. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Robert,
    Thanks for recounting your find. It's always neat hearing about serendipitous acquisitions.

9. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

Thanks for the info on the Specialty mark. That's certainly what it is. I should also add a "Doh!" about the Sterling. I've got a lot of pressings with that marking. It's pretty easy to ID.
    I didn't know what the "antenna" marking was, though. Nice bit of info to have!

10. ChrisG

ChrisG New Member

I love the track listing typo! Sounds like a great new thread. The Ramones set another Punk Rock trend- Off the top of my head, I know the Sex Pistols and Generation X both had track listing typos.

11. Robert Haagsma

Yup, BTW Blitzkreig (Bliztkrieg) Bop is another one.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Years ago NY Rocker magazine printed the lyrics to Ramones debut album as copied from the Japanese traslation to English. It was hilarious! I wish I had kept a copy.

13. glea

glea Forum Resident

I have a white label test pressing of the first album. got it in the mid 80's. Doesn't even have a proper cover, and just a one sheet with track details. have to check the spellings...

r

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

it seems first press have two typos?

Misspellings on label:
    A1: Blitzkreig
    A2: Beat Is On The Brat

please owners of 1st press share the deadwax info!

15. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

My eighties German WEA is o.k. i guess.
    But originals are always cooler.

16. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Heyyy, why didn't this thread start with "1, 2, 3, 4"? :D

17. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

The first time I bought this record when I was about 18, I remember the back cover saying "Previously released as SASD-7520". I always wondered what was up with that and eventually figured out it was a 2nd press. I found this record probably about 10 times and it was always the 2nd press, but I finally tracked down an original on an online shop some years back for around$20 - note also I've come across probably 5 copies of "Leave Home" with "Carbona" in the bins, even bought some for friends to have, but never the s/t first press. I'll have to check for the spelling error and Sterling stamp when I get home, but I know the catalog number matches up correctly, and the corner is also cut in the same fashion.

18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I have a really nice Sterling mastering of this lp and it sounds great. I'm sure it's not a first pressing but the mastering is what I'm after regardless. The all analog Bellman cut reissue sounds pretty good for this one too.

19. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I used to have a promo LP of the first Ramones album on ABC. I wish I held onto it. It's probably worth a ton now.

20. Streetwaves

Streetwaves Well-Known Member

Hello. Stumbled across this forum looking for answers regarding the true first pressing of this LP. I had a beat up copy that I sold a couple of months ago and finally found a replacement copy. It arrived today and the vinyl is NM---too good to be true, I thought, so I looked for info on Discogs and the matrix numbers are slightly off. Everything else is there---misspellings, STERLING stamp and ABC Records. Anyway, I was wondering what matrix #'s were in first pressing deadwax and if there was any variation.

21. Uncle Floyd's Agent

Uncle Floyd's Agent Well-Known Member

I'm reading the new book "Ramones at 40" and just learned about the misprints on the label of Ramones/"Ramones." I had no idea.

I quickly checked my LPs and I do have a copy like that so it must be a first pressing. I also have pressings from Canada, Australia and Italy, as well as a couple of copies with the corrected "Beat On The Brat."

It's fun when I learn something new 40 years later!

22. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

i own an early us sterling press and rhino reissue vinyl...the rhino is just as good imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.