Record Store Day 2024 - April 20th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 5, 2024.

1. J. Grimes

J. Grimes Well-Known Member

I believe the Kenny Dorham is a UK RSD release.

rjstauber likes this.
  2. I can't find it on the official RSD 2024 UK list. Strange. Update: It shows up under K, mystery solved.

P.S.: It does show up when I search for the artist name, however.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Simon A likes this.
  3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Continuing a proud fifty year tradition!

4. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

My Talking Heads Discogs order arrived yesterday and, as others have said, is pretty much perfect with just an occasional minor pop here and there.

I know many of you feel the same way and are just too shy to say it but I'm gonna say it now - I love my flipper.

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Appreciated the information as less money buying the Vinyl through Bandcamp instead of the cost with Shipping from the EU & UK Sellers to the US. Do you know if Bandcamp packages their Vinyl Records securely in appropriate Vinyl Mailers with 2 Sheets of Cardboard Stiffeners and/or a Layer of Bubble Wrap. Or does the Shipping depend on each Individual Music Artist selling their Vinyl Records on Bandcamp? I might be interested, as only own the Original CD, and getting a FLAC Download along with the Vinyl with a 2nd Record of Additional Songs has me strongly considering it even though I spent too much money already this RSD. I did not even recall seeing Sun Structures on the 2024 UK RSD List, or was it through another Country’s RSD from Europe?

7. Judestar

Judestar Well-Known Member

2 copies of Lennon’s “Mind Games” ep available on Assai Records UK at the moment.

John Gill likes this.
  8. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

It is, as others have said, a UK RSD exclusive - put out by New Land, mastered by Kevin Gray, and pressed at Pallas.

I've now had chance to listen to it and it is all very well done - as tends to be my experience with New Land. It's a decent quality jacket - printed directly onto the card - with a kind of matt finish, so I'm not sure how it will wear. But it looks to be good quality. The record is immaculate, clean, centred, little discernible surface noise. And the mastering is bob on, as you'd expect. However, I'm not sold on the music. It is what it is - Kenny Dorham singing and playing a number of jazz standards. It's a strong selection of songs, the horn sounds incredible - I'm a fan, and Quiet Kenny is one of my favourite jazz records.

However, the vocal performance is very questionable, to put it kindly. His pitch is an issue across most of the tracks, particularly as he comes into a different sections of the songs. By way of disclaimer, I have perfect pitch and so I'm super, super sensitive to tuning issues. And so it is entirely possible that this may not bother - or be that noticeable - to others.

And, to be fair, I've only listened to it once through, and it had been a long day - and so I may have just been in a cranky mood. I'll listen to it again this weekend, but the pitch issues are there. And that isn't going to change.

ToonGuns likes this.
  9. Malibu John

Malibu John Forum Resident

Bought the last one. Thanks! Not sure if it is the black or nuclear waste glow in the dark version. If my postman looks slightly ill when delivering it, it may be the latter.

BlueJay and ElevateMeLater like this.
  10. Judestar

Judestar Well-Known Member

Nice work! Enjoy. It’s the superior sounding black one you scored.

Malibu John likes this.
  11. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Anyone spin the Jim Croce Final Tour yet? I passed on it for RSD (regrettably) but found one this week at a record store. It’s on the way but wondering about SQ. I’ve streamed it and really like the dialogue. What a fun release.

djost likes this.
  12. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

I couldn't get to my local on Saturday but did order a few on Monday night. As I have weird taste there's never a problem getting what I'm interested in. I ordered:

Anne Briggs (my top choice - can't wait to spin this)
    Howlin' Wolf
    Frank Turner
    Viv Albertine

Unfortunately, they haven't arrived yet. Hopefully today!

13. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I did the same order from Sister Ray. I listened to it last night and thought all the unreleased tracks were better than the ones they selected for 'The Name of This Band is..' - the groups is super-tight and the sound is phenomenal.

14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Bandcamp is just the interface: the sales of physical product are handled by the individual bands / record companies, so it will vary from artist to artist.

15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Not a lot of chatter about these - are they any good?

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  16. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

Theres a Toronto store called Play De Records that has a Discogs page that had about 5 copies of the Blue Beat Prince Busters as of yesterday.

17. MonkeyTennis

Well, the good news for those patient souls among us is that there is currently no need for flipping when it comes to the Talking Heads release.

As I write, there are multiple sealed copies available on Discogs, from it seems reputable stores, at retail or as near too. Particularly for those blessed souls based in either Europe or the UK.

18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

"Out for delivery". Thanks again for the tip last Sunday. Next time you're in Raleigh, I'll buy you a beer.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  19. uzn007

No copies at all shipping from the USA, though.

20. MonkeyTennis

Yeah, I noticed that - which is why I stipulated Europe and the UK as being particularly blessed. I checked the other day and there were a couple up there from the US (I think) - so it may just be a timing issue.

More generally, I wonder whether demand was lower outside of the US, or whether the supply was greater? I had no trouble picking my copy up from my local store as remaining stock went live on the website.

21. uzn007

I think demand was very high in the US. When I saw that my tiny local store had six copies, I figured it would be no problem at all to pick one up (they often only get one or two copies, even of popular/big-name titles), but the album was scarce as hen's teeth, even at Schoolkids Records, a big store which usually gets large numbers of everything.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  22. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I hope that everyone who wants a copy gets one but are those U.K. prices close to what the retail price was? Aren't they flipper prices?

Even without shipping costs, they're all priced higher than what I paid.

23. Malibu John

Malibu John Forum Resident

I believe £42 was what I paid in store on Saturday.

LivingForever, uzn007 and Groovy like this.
  24. MonkeyTennis

I paid £46, but that was with postage. I'm seeing one copy on Discogs in that range. I think that there were two when I looked earlier.

25. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Rekkerds, Fantano, Simon A and 4 others like this.