Record Store Day 2024 - April 20th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 5, 2024.

1. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident

Prices on lots of titles are still falling on Discogs. You can see the sales history on each title Discogs, day by day. Some sold well on Sunday / Monday / Tuesday but haven't sold a single copy since then. And there are dozens of small record stores offering some of the slow-selling titles. Prices will be falling even further.

Starting at the top of my list: Cannonball Adderley's two 2LP jazz sets were quiet expensive on RSD. My local store still has copies of each for $57.99 in his bins. But you can get either title below $40 now from multiple USA dealers on Discogs. That will soften the blow of paying over list for the Talking Heads, for example.

J_D__, ex_mixer, panasoffkee and 3 others like this.
  2. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

3. Gematria

Gematria Well-Known Member

Delivery 1 of (hopefully) 3 of my RSD purchases has just arrived: Dalton, Sorrow, Royal Trux. Very happy with those for ~£50.

4. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

I ordered the Talking Heads set from Park Ave., and live about an hour away. They sent an email noting that they were processing over 2K RSD orders, and that they would notify me when they ship. It might have been faster for me to just drive over there. :laugh:
    All that just to say, don't expect them to ship too soon.

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

If you call them, you probably could have them pull it for you so you could drive over.

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  6. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

I'm okay to wait, because they also said this:

panasoffkee and uzn007 like this.
  7. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

For what it's worth I received my shipping notice from Park Ave today!

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I initially passed on it on Saturday, but ordered on Sunday after reading the feedback here (and being so impressed with the Nat King Cole set from the same venue and time period). The recording really is a remarkable find and Art is as brilliant as ever.

9. Dewey M

Dewey M Senior Member

10. I just spend a few days in Chicago, and I was able to find quite a few RSD titles that seem to be hard to find. It takes patience and visits to different stores, but I even found a copy of the David Bowie LP, and I had pretty much given up hope on that one.

I think for most titles, I had the chance to buy it a second time at a different store, sometimes for a bit more money.

On top of my head, the only title that I really only saw on RSD itself (the store I visited had two copies) was the Nat King Cole. But that one will - as it seems - get reissued soon (probably without the RSD sticker).

Anyhow, I think this RSD had a good selection of titles, at least for my taste (Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock/Soul).

So, if you're still looking for a specific title, there is a chance it can still be found.

There were a few titles I was interested in from RSD UK, but there seems to be no good online source with reasonable prices. But that is no big deal.

As I had already mentioned, this was my very first RSD to participate in, and the collection of titles I was able to get (visiting more than five different stores) will also be a reminder and a memory of the good time I had (I took vacation for this RSD, so I could only "concentrate" on that). It sure was fun, and I will be looking forward to spinning the titles I got once I am back home.

Not sure if I will do it this way again, because when you are actually in the physical store, it seems like you pick up a few more titles compared to just ordering the titles you really really want online.

Gematria, tulumdedoo and Simon A like this.
  11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]

ARK and kt66brooklyn like this.
  12. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Has anyone purchased from Darkside records online in Poughkeepsie, NY? How’s their shipping and customer service?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I have, they were fine. Very friendly, included a bunch of stickers and stuff in the box. Well packed and promptly shipped, but I wasn’t ordering on/around RSD either, just a regular purchase from Discogs. But yeah, no troubles to speak of.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Glad to see some love for this set! The original 1953 tapes (several hours' worth) were physically delivered to me in Salina, and the production team and I spent a lot of time going through the contents. My (admittedly rough) memory all this time later is that one pass of every song that was on the reels appears in the set, as it was important to us to get basically everything of quality "our there."

By the way, a lot of detailed restoration work was needed on these recordings; many technical defects to overcome, but it turned out well in the end, and as hinted above, this was recorded just a week or two before the RSD Nat King Cole set, presumably recorded on the same equipment.

Some of my favorite moments involve the banter, i.e, requests from the audience, comments from the piano bench, overheard conversations. Maybe the best is when Tea for Two is underway, and you can overhear Art urging guitarist Everett Barksdale to get ready, and when it comes time for the electric guitar solo....it's basically acoustic! At the end of the song, you can hear Art asking what happened, and Everett replies along the lines of, "The fuse blew."

I also like the comment about, "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!" Fun stuff, and I love the performances, of course.

15. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. No surprise those tapes from 70+ years ago needed love. Incredible job; just can't get enough of this recording. Indeed, those intimate moments between cuts is absolutely priceless. Cheers

MonkeyTennis, CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  16. pearceharrison

pearceharrison Well-Known Member

Very disappointed in Elmhurst Records. Ordered the Bowie release, paid for it, no issues. They now state 'out of stock' after a week and have refunded me. Very weak.

hutlock likes this.
  17. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I'm in Chicago. Have only been to one place, but was wondering, in any of your travels to the different stores, did any of them have a copy of the RSD poster left that you saw? The girlfriend and I have a collection of the last 5 and the place we went to this year didn't order them.

Thanks in advance!

18. If anybody becomes aware of any vendors in the U.S. that may be posting some of the new Talking Heads, would you let everyone in this forum know?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  19. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

For me that's the joy of going into a music shop, versus online. The fun of discovery doesn't really happen the same way.

I can't tell you how many albums/artists I've discovered simply by picking up an album in a store, that I would've missed out on if I only shopped online.

20. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Listening to The Rain Parade - Emergency Rail Power Trip

This is a great pressing and has to be the most unknown great 80's album for me. I had never heard of them until somebody on here talked about their Stone Roses influence last year.

What a RSD find. This could be a top 80's album for me and anybody who loves psyche

Fractured, Rekkerds and Dewey M like this.
  21. Same goes for the Gandalf lp. If anybody hears of any for sale online, would you kindly advise?

22. Gianni Ovalsand

Gianni Ovalsand Forum Resident

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

One thing I discovered today is that there are two versions of this on Discogs. One of them still has some US sellers but they're hella pricey, e.g. $125 from a seller with 96% positive feedback. o_O

24. Thank you very much. I received an order number so we'll see if it's meant to be. That was kind of you to share that link. Let me know in the future if I may help you in some way. I've been to Fingerprints before. I bought a used copy of Opel by Syd Barrett in excellent shape for forty dollars, which I thought was a fair price.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

It's currently going for over $100 on Discogs.

Why sell it to you for $25? :shrug: