Record Store Day 2024 - April 20th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 5, 2024.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Received my copy of The Rolling Stones today. I have three other copies of this album (one is the US version) and this is the best of all of them by far. This is the closest I'll probably hear to an "audiophile" treatment of the Stones' 1st. It really sounds great and can still be had relatively cheap.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. ScottishStuart

ScottishStuart Stay Hard, Stay Hungry, Stay Alive

ex_mixer and MonkeyTennis like this.
  3. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

You’re joking, right? You have to be.

hutlock and pearceharrison like this.
  4. I did not pay attention to the poster, not sure if it was available.

I would recommend a visit to "Groovin' High" on Belmont Street, they have a 25% off sale this weekend only, including still many RSD titles. That is where I found the David Bowie, and they had several copies of the Elton John 2-LP set left as well. Also the "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" and many many other titles. With 25% off, it makes these quite reasonable.

Simon A likes this.
  5. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Talking Heads - Live At Wcoz 77 (Ofgv) [Record Store Day] | Fingerprints Music

I placed an order last night, too. It's still showing as "In Stock" this morning. Hope we both managed to actually snag a copy! (Thanks for the tip, Gianni Ovalsand!)

6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Of course I am!

Elmhurst Records is a VERY scrupulous business. I certainly felt that way when they canceled my David Bowie RSD order yesterday as well.

hutlock likes this.
  7. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Thank you. Ordered one copy to my sister’s house in Austin, Tx.I went with her to David Byrne’s show in Les nuits de Fourviere here in Lyon and it was amazing !
    It was quite a long time ago (maybe 10 years).
    I hope she will appreciate the present for her birthday next month.

8. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Got my copy of Richard O’Brien’s Rocky Horror demos yesterday. The only release I was really interested in this time around.

I bought the ‘73 demos as mp3s from some obscure website a few years ago after failing to find them on the high seas and have been enjoying them since. I’m a big Rocky Horror head from way back, so stumbling onto these demos and the ‘75 Belasco Theatre audience recording has been a revelation.

Kinda funny to buy a record presumably pressed from a digitized version of a beat up old cassette (warble and speed fluctuations very much intact), but cool to have this stuff officially released. And with a few extra tracks to boot!

The cover art is abysmal, though.

M1ke2345 likes this.
  9. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

10. Now all we need are tips about the Gandalf release and everything will be perfect.

11. RogerDurutti

RogerDurutti New Member

I did, and I'm playing it again now. To my (very much untrained) ear, it sounds fine. Clear, can pick out instruments, adequate low end.

No info on sleeve to indicate whether it's been remastered, so couldn't say.

(Disclaimer: I spent a few years working on the bar in a live venue, so my hearing may not be 100%)

12. putz

putz Forum Resident

Jackpot Records will be releasing the non RSD version later this year, so don't kill yourself trying to score this one.

Skibum2 and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  13. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

As for the music (which is the most important thing), I'm with you, but from a collecting point of view this was a must have (if, like me, you can't afford to buy an original).

14. Thanks for the tip. The guy at Jackpot Records told me the same thing just now. It will be released on standard black vinyl, but it's unknown when it will be released. I guess we will all have to just wait.

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Matthew you did a beautiful job. This is a gas to listen too. And as many have said, the SQ is a very pleasant surprise.

16. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

For anyone interested in the Tommy McClain LP, I was adding it to my collection on Discogs and saw that stores are selling it as low as $10 before shipping.

17. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Highly recommend picking this one up - my favorite RSD release this year. Total steal at that price.

18. pearceharrison

pearceharrison Well-Known Member

Simple, because that is what they advertised. I will buy it once the scalpers are done with it, or the label decides to reissue tons more copies.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  19. pearceharrison

pearceharrison Well-Known Member

Really. You think they are scrupulous...I think maybe you meant unscrupulous!

20. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Which is what happens every RSD. The stuff that is expensive, is the stuff that sold out.

21. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Sounds nice. Was it solid green or more translucent? Generally I try to go for the more "translucent" ones, they look so much kicer!

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

23. All the mentioning of this release in this thread and the many positive comments made me go back to "my" record store and get the last copy of this they had. Now I really can't wait to listen to it, but it will be a little while.

Simon A, MonkeyTennis and MLutthans like this.
  24. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

Indeed - Mike Oldfield is an amazing artist with one heck of a back catalogue (with really only 2-3 "stinkers" IMO)
    I strongly recommend Amarok (in one sitting listening on a good stereo), Tubular Bells II, The Songs From Distant Earth and Return To Ommadawn as his best work from 1990 onwards.
    I love his pop-rock stuff, from 1979-1984 but anytime he tried to do the pop stuff after that, he kind of left me dry save for one or two exceptions.

As for the demos:

The Tubular Bells demos were finally released over two separate deluxe editions of TB proper, and finally saw release as Opus One on RSD a while back. Because, as you mentioned, the nature of the original demo tapes recorded in his own studio and various other places, nooks and crannies - the sound quality is a bit to be desired, when compared to the proper album; however my vinyl version was pressed perfectly and sounds great (for what it is, a copy of a tape transfer....)

As for the Hergest demos: they are recorded much better than the TB demos, as they were initially done in a proper studio environment (albeit multiple studios apparently), and later were added to and refined back before the final mix at AIR Studios. As such, the music sounds pristine but it clearly lacks some of the production and overdubs from the finally released version.

I will be posting a more thorough review of this title in the RSD 2024 Quality thread.

I am a massive 12" extended remix fan (being a child of the 80's and all...) and was stoked to find these to add to my growing SM collection.
    I ended up getting the Canadian 12"'s for Sanctify Yourself & Alive And Kicking.

Sanctify has an extended version and dub.
    A&K has the album version and a dub.

I'm pretty stoked for those, to be honest ;-)
    (although they were not RSD titles...but still!)

25. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Mine is on the way, I can't wait!!!

Dennis Metz likes this.