Sherwood stereo receiver with phono input on sale at Radio Shack for $99.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

If one wants a budget headphone amplifier to go along with the budget equipment, and one that allows one to hook up to 4 headphones, I recommend the Samson S-amp mentioned in this thread.

2. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I guess receiver manufacturers, even at the low end, are starting to take note of the vinyl resurgence.

Wally Swift likes this.
  4. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Now if only they would make them look retro. Like wood panels, big, lighted dials. Kinda like how a lot of car manufactureres are coming out with retro looking models.

- Sushimaster

Wally Swift likes this.
  5. BradOlson

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Our local RS has one of these hooked up. It was hooked up to a DVD player used as a CD player and was driving a pair of Yamaha indoor/outdoor speakers. Sounds nice, has a hefty discrete power amp section and is heavily built for a budget piece. I can recommend this as the best budget receiver in that class.

7. BradOlson

For Christmas, I will definitely put this receiver on my list and it will for sure put my cheap RCA home theater receiver to shame, as I have stackable gold banana plugs, I can use as many speakers as desired.

8. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Brad.......

Are you trying to say that you'd hook up more than a pair of speakers to this receiver by stacking the plugs? If so, please post back to let us know the color and smell of the smoke from the receiver. I am not an electrician, but I think that stacking the plugs might give you a 'parallel' circuit for all of the speakers on a particular post.

Speakers are resistors and they typically come in 8 or 4 ohm impedance (resistance). I'd bet a ton of money that the Sherwood isn't designed to drive 4ohm speakers. Anyway, hooking resistors in a parallel fashion has the effect of reducing impedance. If the amp can't handle this, you get a brief light show followed by deathly silence.

Just trying to help.

9. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

I remember in the late 90's and early 00's this brand had a very good reputation because of its very good sound at an affordable price. Is'nt this a Korean owned company?

10. BradOlson

My speakers are 8 ohm anyway. I did this with my Marantz SR-63 and it ended up working just fine to this day. I used 2 par in both sets of binding posts and stacked a subwoofer, and that's what I'd do with this one.

11. BradOlson

Yes, it is a Korean owned company.

12. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Hooked up in parallel, they won't be. There is a formula to calculate the resistance of parallel loads but I don't remember it. But I think that you will dip well below 4ohms using this setup.

I really am not being combative. Just don't want to see you make a $100 mistake. The Sherwood looks like a good unit and I think that you'll get a lot of pleasure from it......from two speakers.

13. BradOlson

Actually, since it does have 2 banana plug inputs, is that one can use 4 full range speakers natively or use 2 speakers and a sub but I used 4 speakers and a sub once on a Marantz no problems and since you can hook up 2 sets, one can do that with no problems on the Sherwood as well but I won't use a sub with the Sherwood as with a 4 ohm load and the speakers I have, I will get plenty of bass.

14. thinker10

thinker10 Forum Resident

Hi,

Let us know how is the phono section please

Who got them in Ontario ? Ottawa

MSRP is listed at $179.95 on there web site.

Thanks

15. BradOlson

Enter the impedance of the speakers that are connected in parallel (starting at the top).
    Data Input:
    Speaker one's impedance? = 4 ohms
    Speaker two's impedance? = 8 ohms
    Speaker three's impedance? = 8 ohms
    Speaker four's impedance? = 8 ohms

Data Output:
    Two speaker's parallel impedance = 2.667 ohms
    Three speaker's parallel impedance = 1.6 ohms
    Four speaker's parallel impedance = 1.143 ohms

If I stack one sub and have 4 full range speakers at 8 ohms, this is what the impedance rating is.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

How about a Sherwood receiver designed for two pairs of speakers to be driven at the same time?

Sherwood RD-5502 stereo receiver

Sherwood's parent company is one of the biggest OEM of the world. Sherwood pre/pro were also sold under brands such as Atlantic Technology, Outlaw Audio, Boston Acoustics, etc.

17. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

This is going to result in a meltdown for this receiver. My very high-end amps would struggle/die with a sub-2ohm load. The Sherwood is a great receiver that can produce a very musical outcome......with two speakers.

18. BradOlson

Thanks to Dave N., I will only use 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers.
    Data Input:
    Speaker one's impedance? = 8 ohms
    Speaker two's impedance? = 8 ohms
    Speaker three's impedance? = 8 ohms
    Speaker four's impedance? = 8 ohms

Data Output:
    Two speaker's parallel impedance = 4 ohms
    Three speaker's parallel impedance = 2.667 ohms
    Four speaker's parallel impedance = 2 ohms

19. shload

shload New Member

20. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Agree. Don't do it folks!

21. Gorilla

Gorilla Forum Resident

I just hooked up a SHerwood 4103 receiver (predecessor to the 4109 montioned here) to a pair of Dahlquist M-907 speakers. I was impressed with the amount of control and authority in the bass and low mids. Even the highs and mids were quite good, though I didn't have anything to compare to at the moment. The 4109 seems like an exceptional value, considering the price and the phono preamp.

Are the Sherwood receivers unique at that price ponit for using discrete amplification? Could someone explain what that means exactly, in relation to what other companies are doing with their entry level receivers (ie Pioneer, Sony, etc.)? Thanks!

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'm not questioning that, what I am saying is that for a small increase in funding, you can obtain superior performance. Going by Richer Sounds in the UK, you can get Cambridge Audio 540 amp and CD player with Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers for £500 ($1000 at a straight exchange rate).

Bearing in mind US prices for hardware are cheaper like for like, you'll pay maybe $750 for example (or whatever) for the same gear. For instance, the Monitor Audio Bronze speakers a previous poster mentioned go for £200 in the UK. Big difference.

This isn't hifi snobbery at all and the secondhand market is always worth considering too given the quality that can had there for not much money and that's speaking from experience.

I couldn't agree more though, if this opens doors into listening to music, that's a result in itself!

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Discrete means having actual transistors in the power amp section instead of integrated circuit modules which don't sound as fine. Sherwood seems to be the only company at this price which offers this feature. Down the road, it's more reliable.

24. BradOlson

Thanks for this glowing recommendation.

25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.