Sherwood stereo receiver with phono input on sale at Radio Shack for $99.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Thanks for this info Soundboy as a lot of vinyl collectors who are after a new receiver would want to get this receiver at this price.

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Did anyone pick up a Sherwood RX-4109 at Radio Shack?

3. BradOlson

My mother got it for me with her Radio Shack credit card and I have it hooked up and I'm going to pay her back for it.

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How about Cambridge Soundworks Model Sixes, for a wee bit more - $149? It's the Henry Kloss/AR sound, for peanuts! A good match for the Sherwood, I'll wager.

5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

6. BradOlson

The Sherwood is a great sounding receiver. One of the best systems money can buy. The phono preamp is great, the headphone input is great and the only kind of headphone amplifier one would really need is something like the S-amp that allows you to hook up to 4 headphones with their individual volume controls, the bass adjustments are great, the treble adjustments are great. The midrange is built in to the discrete amplification, and everything. Very high end quality for a budget price just like Kent Teffeteller has stated above.

7. thinker10

thinker10 Forum Resident

8. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

What does this mean? - The midrange is built into the discrete amplification and everything?

9. BradOlson

There is no midrange adjustment, but there is bass and treble, the midrange just ends up blending right in.

10. BradOlson

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I saw the Sherwood receiver at one of the Reno, NV Radio Shacks. $79.95 - $10.00 mail-in rebate....net cost $69.95 + sales tax. I was sooooo tempted.

12. BradOlson

Soundboy, buy the Sherwood.

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Anyone know if that Black Friday price was definitely one day only?

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Two days, Nov. 23 and 24.

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Just ordered it online at the sale price - free shipping, too!

But the RS link to the PDF rebate form is gone...

Thanks for the tip on this one, Brad!

16. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Oh man, this is exactly what I'm looking for, a hi-fi system on a budget. I just bought it! Came out to be $86.79 with tax--I got free shipping and a $10 mail in rebate :)

Now to begin the search for the matching turntable, speakers, and maybe SACD player...

17. BradOlson

I use my Numark TT-500 with my Sherwood and it's great. I am using some of my garage sale speakers with the Sherwood and they go great with the system.

18. BradOlson

Hushypushy, your Technics will go well with the Sherwood.

19. BradOlson

20. BradOlson

Did you get your Sherwood off the shelf or online?

21. Eric

Eric Member

I tried to get a friend of mine to buy this Sherwood, he wanted something to use with his 8mm film projectors. Sadly he decided to try a used Sony he found at a thrift store for 40 bucks, which turns out to have a hum he can't get rid of.
    I owned a Sherwood back in the late 70s and very early 80s, it was a nice intro level receiver.

22. BradOlson

He should get the Sherwood.

23. BradOlson

When I posted my review on Amazon, I got this feedback: Lynden A. Cyr says: I agree that the Sherwood 4109 lives up to Sherwood's well earned reputation for quality and excellence. I had a Sherwood back in the early 70's which cost the equiv. of $600 in todays money and it was a fine unit which lasted me for many years. It was also built like a tank and very heavy. In this last respect the 4109 is also pure Sherwood, it is twice the size of the Technics SA190 it replaces.

24. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Well, it's a hand-me-down from my mom (who bought it brand new in '83, haha), and I don't think it's ever been maintained or serviced. When I got it, the rubber belt was so old and loose that it was at least an extra inch too long. I hardly ever use it for a lot of reasons, among them a worn-out stylus, worries of bad anti-skate, bad tracking, wrong stylus weight, and a very loud buzz (bad grounding, sounds like) unless the motor is actually on and spinning.

I'm not sure if I should get a new cartridge and have it "tuned up", or if I should just start fresh and get a new TT. I guess my main problem is that I don't know where to go or what to buy for either of those choices! :shh:

I got it online. Can't wait to get it in the mail!

25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I give in and purchased the 4109 at my local Shack. Roughly $87.00 including sales tax, but before rebate.

BTW, the owner's manual has the 4109's power ratings at 20 - 20K Hz instead of 40 - 20K Hz. I wonder how the 4109 stack up against Sherwood's own upscale Newcastle RX-770?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.