Sherwood stereo receiver with phono input on sale at Radio Shack for $99.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

hmm, I realize you may also (or only) be talking about my CD player. I've never really found any info or opinions about it, though.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Brad,

You can easily hook up 4 pairs of speakers to this receiver, but you have to do it in a series parallel combination.

For example take two speakers and hook them in series and you have 16 ohms. Now take the other two speakers and hook them in series as well. Now you have (2) 16 ohm loads which can be run in parallel. This would bring the total load impedance back to 8 ohms. The amp will be happy, but you must understand that you only have so much power available. You may not have enough power to drive all 4 of them as loud as you would like, but you just might. For example if you had a 100 watt per channel amp, each of the 8 speakers would only get around 25 watts.

I've hooked over 60 speakers up to a 100 watt per channel Sony STR-197 which can generally be had for under $150.00. I've actually done this in a few systems and they have been running for years pretty much full time.

Btw, they generally don't play them that loud, but I've turned them up before and you would be shocked how much sound I could get out of that little sucker with no obvious distortion driving all those speakers. In one case the hotel owner told me not to mention how inexpensive the system was because it was a high end hotel and he said the system sounded like a million bucks. :D

3. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I bought one for my office a month ago as a result of this thread and have been EXTREMELY happy with it--playing vinyl, CDs, and DVDs through it.

My home receiver's (a Sony) phono preamp crapped out over two years ago, and I've been too lazy to buy a replacement outboard preamp, but since that would have cost me between $25 and $50, and since my receiver's already 11 years old, I've been thinking of replacing it with another Sherwood. Wish I'd known about the sale. It's back up to $99.99 on their website. :cry:

4. goldwax

Can I hijack this extremely helpful thread for a second to ask if anyone knows of a really good CDP (preferrably a 5-disc changer that can also play mp3s) that is as good a value for the money as the Sherwood receiver we're talking about is? I'l like to spend no more than $200 if possible. Is that even realistic (no pun intended)?

Make/model would be great; a link would be even better! Thanks!

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

6. BradOlson

Replace it with another Sherwood.

7. BradOlson

Numark TT-500 or Technics SL1200 MK2 should be your turntable Hushypushy

8. BradOlson

For other budget turntable options to go with this receiver, go to www.kabusa.com

9. goldwax

Thanks for the research, Brad! After I posted this, I snooped around some more on this thread and saw the OPPO 980 that Sushimaster recommended, and then found its dedicated thread. For $169, I was sold, and was becoming willing to give up the multi-disc feature. But now it's all up in the air again! :)

I saw the Sherwood yesterday--the non-playing of mp3s is a bummer in this day and age, though.

At first I was excited about the Onkyo, but the reviews are mostly pretty poor on the link you provided. Too risky.

The Denon looks like a keeper, though. Is it worth $80 extra (over the cost of the OPPO) for multi-disc? I think so. I've got two small kids at home who I play with a lot, and it's much more convenient to stick in a disc or three and let 'em rip than to interrupt our playtime to load in a new disc. Reviews are good, too.

10. goldwax

Well, that's really the only option for me. Just a matter of time. Quick question, though, is it powerful enough to drive the 2 Kenwood 3-way floor speakers I have? I'm not tech-savvy in this regard, but here are some specs I grabbed off the back of one of the speakers:

Maximum music power: 200 watts
    Rated power: 100 watts
    Impedence: 8 ohms nominal

Whaddya think?

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

12. BradOlson

Yes, it is powerful enough for those speakers.

13. BradOlson

The refurbished Onkyo is now $109.00. I'd either get the Denon brand new or a refurb Onkyo at shoponkyo.com

14. goldwax

Sorry, but those user reviews have put me off the Onkyo.

I take it that Denon doesn't have a refurbished shop? I looked on their site.:(

15. BradOlson

Denon does sell refurbs to secondact.biz (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

ecost.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

PC Mall.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

Onsale.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

uBid.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

Mac Mall.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

Club Mac.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

Dakmart.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only - An e-bay Reseller)

Stampede.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

Overstock.com (Refurbished Products, Factory Reconditioned or B-Stock Only)

16. BradOlson

17. goldwax

$109? Hot diggity!

18. BradOlson

The refurb Denon at ecost costs just as much as a refurb Onkyo at shoponkyo.com, in other words $109. I'd go for the refurb Denon.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Don't forget the $10.00 credit Onkyo gives when signing up to shoponkyo.com. Not to mention free shipping.

20. BradOlson

So the $10 credit on refurb Onkyo will help pay for itself.

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Essentially the refurbished Onkyo CD changer would be under $100.00 shipped directly from Onkyo. I am not an owner of the Onkyo changer but I read that it's excellent sounding. OTOH, Denon changers tends to have reliability issue, based again on what I've come across on the 'net.

Can't we get back to the Sherwood 4109 stereo receiver? :D

22. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Yes! I bought it on a Black Friday (well, Saturday) impulse with the low price, but I've been wondering...what makes everyone say all that great stuff about this receiver? I can't really find anything substantial about it with a quick Google...

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Sherwood makes excellent components that sells at rock bottom prices. It's not a well-known brand when compared to, for example, Denon. On the other hand, is a $250.00 Denon stereo receiver really 3-4 times better than the Sherwood 4109?

So what do you guys think? Pioneer DV-414 DVD player (weighs 10 lbs and made in Japan) connected to Entec DAC, then to the Sherwood, which will power either a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B2 bookshelf monitors or Energy Connoissur C-3 monitors.

24. goldwax

There are 18 reviews on the RadioShack.com.

Plus I've had one about a month--used for mostly vinyl, but also CDs and DVDs, and I love it.

25. BradOlson

This would be a great system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.