Sherwood stereo receiver with phono input on sale at Radio Shack for $99.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

A $250 Denon stereo receiver isn't necessarily better than the Sherwood 4109.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

If I play around with the components I have available to me, I can assemble the following sub $500.00 system....

Sherwood 4109 stereo receiver $70.00
    Sony DVP-NS755 DVD/CD/SACD player $100.00
    Monitor Audio Bronze B2 bookshelf speakers $250.00/pair
    CD playback running through Entec DAC from ebay $50.00

All brand-new stuff too.

3. BradOlson

This would be a great system

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

This would be my bedroom system. Maybe able to squeeze in my Technics turntable. ;)

5. BradOlson

The Technics turntable is a must for that system.

6. BradOlson

BTW, the Sherwood is made in China under Sherwood's very high standards.

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Anyone know of a reproducible rebate form, or should I head out to RS to pick one up - unless they stuck one in the box when I ordered it online...

8. BradOlson

I think you should just head out to RS and pick one up.

9. thinker10

thinker10 Forum Resident

How good is it's phono section ?

Any built-in subsonic filter ?

Thanks

10. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Did this, and they looked at me like I had lobsters crawling outta my ears!

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

When I got mine, the RS POS (Point of Sale) terminal automatically printed out a duplicate receipt and a rebate form. The duplicate receipt is for you to send it back along with the completed rebate form.

I would show the original receipt to a RS store manager and ask for a rebate form. Just photo copy your original purchase receipt first.

12. DaWoofer

DaWoofer Member

That receiver is now $79.95 at the Shack.

13. BradOlson

The phono section is great. You can use direct mode (turns off all EQ adjustments and makes it a flat EQ) or you can use bass and treble controls with it.

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Thanks for the advice re the rebate, folks. Did anyone else who bought it online like me get anything?

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I have to go locate my rebate form. However, if it's workable, I can make you a copy and send it to you. I'll get back to you later today.

16. aviserated

aviserated New Member

With these cheap integrated amps, you can always return them within 30 days if you do not like. I preferded the sound of the 2 Channel AM/FM Denon receiver purchased from CircuitCity, over the sound of many other MORE EXPENSIVE amps (Odyssey Stratos, B&K, ASL 1003 tube amp). It's sound is 3D without being TOO forward and the sound is very adjustable with loudness button and tone controls (tone bypass included). FM radio is very fun to listen to...awsome 3D FM sound. You do not have to spend a lot of money to get great sound :)

17. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Thank you, soundboy - that'd be really great!

For fun, I hooked up some old KLH Model 100s I had in the basement. Well... they didn't sound so good, but it was kinda fun. What speakers are you guys connecting to this thing?

18. BradOlson

The speakers I have hooked up to it aren't labeled any brand but with the exception of the use of spring terminals, they are a decent sounding 2-way speaker for the Sherwood and I am using my vintage Pioneer sub to bring out more bass without having to adjust bass. Tone control bypassing is indeed the best way to determine what your recordings sound like, IMO and I know many others agree with me.

19. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

I'm using some Kenwood JL-507's that I picked up at Savers (a thrift store). I was shopping there with my girlfriend and picked these up for $17.99 each! The bass was really flabby and the treble too sharp at first, but those problems seem to be disappearing. Is it breaking in? I guess so. I also got a Technics tape deck that looks damn clean on the outside for only 4 bucks!

Here are a couple quick pics of my setup...the CD player and turntable got dragged out of the basement and I just set it up hastily. I have a small bedroom with a ton of crap in it and no furniture for this setup, so no laughing please! :help:

Attached Files:

20. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I bought one of these yesterday. They're on sale for $80 through 12/8. Hooked it up last night and it sounds great. One thing it is missing are convenience AC outlets. Not a big deal, but I don't think I've ever owned a receiver without at least one and I've always used them.

21. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

No laughing here, but you might want to give the Sherwood some breathing room. As a general rule I never put anything directly on top of a receiver or amplifier because they generate heat. And the Sherwood owner's manual specifically states that there should be plenty of space to the sides and above the receiver for heat dissipation.

22. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Yeah, I saw that in the manual :( I just need to shop around to find a compact shelving solution.

23. BradOlson

24. BradOlson

I never used those convenience AC outlets.

25. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I'm just using these Radio Shack Presidian speakers I bought for $20 the pair: http://www.radioshack.com/sm-presidian-2-way-book-shelf-speaker--pi-2104336.html. 50 watt (RMS), whatever that means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.