Sherwood stereo receiver with phono input on sale at Radio Shack for $99.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

I always used them; I was surprised not to see them here. My old Denon had two and I used them both :)

also, thanks for that link, I'll need to go check those measurements!

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

There is also this: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...e&cName=Furniture+&+Storage&sName=Living+Room if your CD player and cassette player are smaller in measurement and great for those with minisystems and this design does allow easy access to turntables and gives receivers breathing room without top shelf requirements but the left and right shelves are so small that there are lots of components that don't fit on the left and right shelves but I'd still recommend 2 of these http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...e&cName=Furniture+&+Storage&sName=Living+Room for your system as the 4 shelves underneath each other allow space for more components and/or you can use one shelf to store headphones and other accessories of that nature.

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Well, my Sherwood just died. Turn it on, and it turns itself right back off.

4. BradOlson

Mine is still going strong. Report this to Sherwood and Radio Shack.

5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Lesson learned, I guess.

7. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

That's the old one, the RX-4105. Note that it doesn't have a phono input. This thread is about the RX-4109 which, incidentally, has a plethora of excellent reviews.

sharedon: I'm sure that Radio Shack or Sherwood will be happy to take care of you. At least, they should :realmad:

8. BradOlson

Every electronic has a good and bad batch. I'm glad to have one in a good batch.

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

10. Dragun

Dragun Forum Resident

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Based on this discussion @ Audiogon.com, they sound like decent speakers. Come on, they are $15.00/pair!! That's cheaper than a CD :D

Despite having several pairs of speakers already, I am very tempted. I just need a way to sneak these into the house.

12. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

It says $14.99 each speaker at Radio Shack.Not per pair!It says Presidian 2-Way Book Shelf Speaker .

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

See the "What's in the box" section....

- Presidian 2 Way Book Shelf Speaker (2)
    - Owner's Manual (1)

14. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Pretty sure that's an error.They have other speakers that are sold in pairs and it says clearly pair .

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Hang on, confirming with local Shack over the phone.

Edit: $15.00/pair confirmed. Speakers comes in one box.

Btw, called your local Shack to confirm availability first. Whatever availability information at Radio Shack's website when you punch in your zip code isn't particularly accurate.

16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

My mistake.Not bad if you need a pair of speakers quickly and cheap.

17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

No problem. You raised a legitimate concern. Now everyone's better for it.

18. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Is this the time of year when speakers and other audio gear is heavily discounted?

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I actually think summer is that time. Usually, manufacturers announce new products at the CES in January. Then current lines are discounted to make way for new products during spring/summer.

I think Radio Shack is just clearing out these speakers for something new.

Regarding the Radio Shack speakers, obviously there're better speakers out there. I mean, for around $50.00/pair, there're small bookshelf speakers from Sony and Pioneer that may outperform the RS speakers. The Pioneer is recommended by goodsound.com.

20. BradOlson

The Sherwood is back on sale for $79.99

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

So new speakers and receiver for $100.00 :D :righton:

22. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Returned my dead unit. Took 45 mins. at my local RS. Ah, well.

23. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I'm no audiophile, but yes and yes.

As someone else said, for $15 a pair they are a steal. I've been using mine mostly for vinyl in a small room about six hours a day for two months, and they have made me a very happy man. I don't need another pair, but I'm seriously considering getting one and packing them away until the need arises.

Radio Shack appears to be blowing these out. If that's the case, better get 'em while you can.

24. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I'm so happy with my Sherwood receiver at work, that I've decided to replace my home receiver, a 12-year-old Sony that seems to have had a blown phono preamp for the past three years, with another Sherwood, instead of investing in an outboard phono preamp. Good to know they're on sale again (until 1/5). Perfect timing, because I'd decided to go ahead and get another one thinking I'd blown it by not acting on the earlier sale!

25. BradOlson

Try again, you may have just had one in a bad batch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.