Sky Arts and BBC TV- What's on Today**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now I am having some doubts that the Paul Simon programme is a full concert - I suspect it's the documentary that features clips from that concert. Timed it in just in case!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Gavaxemanspins on YouTube

I enjoyed Blinded by the light - good movie

Bink likes this.
  3. Bink

BBC2 are celebrating the 50th anniversary of Abba's victory at the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest tonight with a series of programmes about the group:

8:35pm - More Abba at the BBC (a new compilation of clips from the BBC vaults).

9:35pm - When Abba Came to Britain (a new documentary looking at the group's relationship with the UK).

10:35pm - Abba at the BBC (a repeat of the previous compilation of clips from the BBC vaults).

11:35pm - Abba in Switzerland (TV special from 1979 featuring guests Kate Bush and Roxy Music).

12:30am - The Joy of Abba (a repeat of a documentary from a few years ago).

And if you want more Abba, on BBC4 tomorrow:

8:10 - Eurovision Song Contest 1974 (coverage of the song contest from 50 years ago).

4. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

It feels like every hour of every day somewhere on some TV channel in the UK there is an ABBA documentary showing - there is however a good reason for this particular ABBA night!

5. Bink

I remember in 1992 there was a 30 minute documentary broadcast on BBC1 called A for ABBA. I loved seeing all the old footage and wanted more.

With all the documentaries that have been shown on tv as well as the footage released on deluxe versions of their albums we have been pretty well served.

If only they would revisit the footage from the Australian 1977 tour that was used in ABBA - The Movie. The concert footage is awesome but the plot of the film is a bit daft!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Jimi at Woodstock on Sky Arts at 11:40 GMT

Bink likes this.
  7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

You can add Queen to that list also.

bluearmy78 and arthurprecarious like this.
  8. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread!

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'll do the More ABBA at the BBC, everything else I have somewhere from previous showings.

EG.

Bink likes this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

So when they came to Britian has been previously screened?
    I thought these were new .... as with a Blondie similar doc a few months ago.

Bink likes this.
  11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Ah, that seems new as well. Missed that on the list. I'll let the HDD run, so it has them all (like I did with the 2-tone evening last week).

EG.

Quadboy likes this.
  12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It got me thinking which non British act that caused fan hysteria (when at their peak of popularity) could feature next in the episode of 'Came to Britain'?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. the no guy

the no guy Cat on the moon

I'd love it to be Neil Young and the Tonight's the Night tour in 1973, but it will probably be the Kids from Fame

Quadboy likes this.
  14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The Beach Boys or Motown.
    IIRC there is an old Motown In Britain BBC doc?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Bink

They did a kind of pre-cursor to this series many years ago on Madonna called The One and Only Madonna which focused on her relationship with the UK. They could do an updated version.

Quadboy likes this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

We heard an absolute diabolical mess of a BBC Radio 4 programme just ended, as part of this ABBA season.

Fragmented, bitty, banal and far too many talking heads. Miniscule clips of ABBA themselves or their colleagues and recordings. Horrible cover versions (mercifully not of entire songs), and a presenter who sounded half-asleep. A really annoying and miserable mess, about such a brilliant, and beautiful music subject as ABBA.

It felt to me a bit like someone was trying, and completely failing, to get a similar "vibe" as the same radio station's highly-regarded and long-running show Add To Playlist.

Anyway, here's a link, as someone might like it or be interested.

BBC Radio 4 - Archive on 4, ABBA: Inside the Music

Bink likes this.
  17. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

The Osmonds.

18. Mover

Mover Forum Resident

“Here’s one you’ve heard before…. But not necessarily before tonight.” Genius

19. Bink

Presumably to coincide with the release of her biopic, BBC4 have an Amy Winehouse night tonight, although I don't think there is anything new:

9:05pm - Later with Jools Holland

9:40pm - Arena: The Day She Came to Dingle

10:40pm - Glastonbury 2007

11:40pm - Ten Pictures

12:40am - BBC Sessions

20. Bink

Nirvana / Foo Fighters night on BBC2 tonight:

9:25pm - Kurt Cobain: Moments That Shook Music (a new documentary focusing on Kurt's death - I thought they could have come up with a nicer way to start the evening!).

10:10pm - When Nirvana Came to Britain (a repeat of a documentary from a couple of years ago).

11:10pm - Foo Fighters at Reading 2019

1:10am - Foo Fighters and more: Live Lounge special

Gavaxeman, rjw and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. Bink

Pet Shop Boys night on BBC4 tomorrow;

9:00pm - Pet Shop Boys at the BBC

10:30pm - Imagine..... Pet Shop Boys: Then and Now

12:00am - Live in Hyde Park

1:05am - Reel Stories

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Rather naughtily, Sky Arts have scheduled the PSB film It Couldn't Happen Here tonight as well, while the BBC4 programmes are still on. It started at 1.00am. Thankfully (!) I have the BFI Blu-Ray/DVD release.

EG.

Zerox and Bink like this.
  23. Bink

Tonight on BBC2 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of BBC2:

8:25pm - 60 Songs: BBC2 at 60 (4 hour compilation of songs from the BBC vaults).

Alternatively, on Sky Arts there's this great documentary about James Brown:

9:00pm - Mr Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown

muzzer likes this.
  24. Zerox

Zerox Forum Resident

I've never watched 'It Couldn't Happen Here', although I saw the bits of it which were used in the various singles videos around the time. Is it any good?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It's.....an acquired taste!

I was disappointed/nonplussed by it in 1988 and then again in the 90s when I watched it on VHS, but I am going to give it another try one day. They were on such a roll musically at the time with the imperious Actually, I didn't really expect something so...odd.

EG.

Lost In The Flood, muzzer and Zerox like this.