Sky Arts and BBC TV- What's on Today**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Sep 26, 2020.

1. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

The Style Council did something similar with a film called Jerusalem. I have it on dvd, haven’t watched it in years, it’s very strange and was done at the height of their powers too. Not sure what Weller was on when they made that!

Zerox, ggggreenisaac and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes I have that on DVD, think it was a Style Council boxset with everything on it (promos, concerts and that film). Never seen it though.

Pop groups and film never really works.

EG.

bluearmy78 and Zerox like this.
  3. ggggreenisaac

ggggreenisaac Brutalised by bass / Terrorised by treble

Having got back into PSB recently I randomly decided to watch this on Youtube for the first time last night - weird coincidence! They got in some really good actors who did their best with what they were given, but I think its main weaknesses are just how long some of the scenes go on (the café scene and Joss Ackland stumbling around are the worst offenders) and the complete lack of a coherent narrative. They were clearly influenced by Magical Mystery Tour, but that was just 50 minutes, as opposed to this film's hour-and-a-half running time.

Given how they rip their music video acting to shreds in the PopArt commentary, the Boys must be absolutely mortified by this film now!

Eric_Generic and Zerox like this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Privately, I imagine they do, but Neil seems determined to defend it in public (which is understandable).

It was maybe a better idea on paper than how it ended up on film.

EG.

5. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

A lot of the bbc2 prog has been superb but I drew the line at u2 from glasto. There must be better in the vaults. But Jeff Buckley, Kate Bush, utterly classic performances. What we’ve lost with the Beeb ffs

Bink likes this.
  6. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

It’s in a very English tradition isn’t it, a bit Henry At Rawlinson End, a bit Punch and Judy Man.

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not quite music related, but I loved the (sadly only B&W) Parkinson interview with Shirley Maclaine that was shown tonight on BBC4.

:love:

EG.

oxegen likes this.
  8. Stannary

Stannary Groovin' on a Sunday afternoon

Have You Got It Yet? The Story of Sid Barrett and Pink Floyd

Sky Arts Sat 27th April 9pm

9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tonight on BBC4:

10:00pm - David Byrne: BBC Four Sessions

11:00pm - Talking Heads Talking Video

11:30pm - New York Rock at the BBC

12:30am - Christina and the Queens at 6 Music Festival 2023

1:00am - Eric Burden: Rock and Roll Animal

10. Bink

As Stannary mentioned above there is a Syd Barrett documentary on Sky Arts tonight. It is part of a Pink Floyd night that looks like this:

6:30pm - Pink Floyd: Endless River

7:40pm - The Story of Wish You Were Here

9:00pm - Have You Got It Yet? The Story Of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd

10:50pm - Classic Albums: Dark Side of the Moon

11:50pm - David Gilmour: Live in Gdansk

If that doesn't interest you, you may like BBC2's Neil Diamond night:

8:25pm - Neil Diamond at the BBC

9:25pm - Solitary Man (documentary)

10:25pm - In Concert (1971)

11:05pm - Electric Prom (2010)

12:10am - Radio 2 in Concert

Meanwhile on Channel 4:

8:50pm - ABBA: 50 years of Pop (documentary).

Zerox likes this.
  11. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

I'll dutifully watch the Syd documentary but I'll be amazed if I find out anything I didn't already know.

zobalob, coffeetime and Bink like this.
  12. DrAM

DrAM Forum Resident

I saw it in the theatre. It did have some new revelations. Was surprised to see Syd at Abbey Road.. Moreso. Was used to just that one pic for years

It's a very good documentary. I don't think it was truly revelatory though they did attempt to push the boat out.

Was surprised at the depth of new interviews. Jenny! Seems Storm was working on these for many years.

It's quite visual on top of being a genuine attempt at uncovering Sydinfo so... Enjoyable enough. A recommend.

13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Eric Burdon one that was on the BBC last night is a good one, if it’s the same one as before (a couple of years back ?). Interesting.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I wonder if I've seen the Solitary Man doc before, I will record it anyway as that interests me more than the concerts.

EG.

Bink likes this.
  15. DrAM

DrAM Forum Resident

Did people like the doc or

I'm not a big Floyd head post Syd so interested in the thoughts of those who know more

16. Bink

Somebody asked for thoughts in one of the Pink Floyd threads and I said the following:

I enjoyed it. I was comparing it to the BBC documentary from the early 2000s that was released on dvd. That documentary probably had more of an impact on me because it was the first time all members of the Floyd had sat down and talk about the early years on film in so much detail.

Have You Got It Yet featured talking heads not featured on that earlier documentary so you got more detail but at the expense of more interviews with the Floyd. I was quite surprised how little of Roger, David's and Nick's interviews were used!

In the case of Roger's interview, could they have used a less echoey room? Still it was interesting to see him being interviewed by Storm. Maybe my perception, but I have always thought Storm was more Team David so great to see them together.

I would also like to have heard more from Syd's sister Rosemary.

So it was an interesting watch, but I am not sure I will go back to it as much as that earlier doc.

17. ekkinak

ekkinak mostly liquid

Syd's sister, Rosemary Breen on the Fingal's Cave podcast:

Gavaxeman likes this.
  18. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

I thought it was good but I really could have done without any talking heads who didn't personally know Syd. It was great to see interviews with school friends, girlfriends and flatmates other than Duggie Fields. Some good photos and a reminder that, when Syd was off whatever medication he was on that made him put on weight, he was still a good looking guy in later life.

19. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

The new visuals in the Syd documentary were absolutely horrific. Sub-90s Floyd tour films that looked like they were shot when the 11 O'Clock show was still being broadcast. Bloke screaming while going down a slide. Awful. Also, the interviewer shouting over the guests all the time.

Gracchus likes this.
  20. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Gavaxemanspins on YouTube

Yep that was a great listen imo

ekkinak likes this.
  21. Bink

A couple of things of note on tonight:

On BBC4 at 10:40pm there is a repeat of an episode of Parkinson from 2000 which if I remember correctly is mostly based around Elton John who was promoting his live album One Night Only. Features Elton dueting with Kiki Dee and Ronan Keating.

On Sky Arts at 9:00pm it's The Rolling Stones: Bridges to Bremen, a concert from 1998. I have this on blu ray and enjoy it, although you may wish to avoid seeing what Mick does to the backing singer's feet during Miss You!!

22. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

How about Top of the Pops streaming full episodes 1967 - 1975 on one channel and 1976 - 1979 on the other channel. Yep your reading it right.

Markyp likes this.
  23. Bink

On Sky Arts in the very early hours of tomorrow morning.......

12:30am - Ray Charles: Live in France 1961

24. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

Sums up Sky Arts, they have wall to wall Andre Rieu every day and stick something good on after my bedtime. Some of us have got work in the morning!

Bink and arthurprecarious like this.
  25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Worst thing about Sky Arts is the constant replaying of every season of Tales of Unexpected.
    Never seems to get removed ............. just endless.

Gracchus likes this.