Sly & the Family Stone remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Garrett, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Wow, this box set is just in time for my upcoming birthday. I haven't been this excited about a box set since Vol 6 of the Complete Motown Singles came out in November 2006.

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

This afternoon I received an e-mail from Best Buy saying that my credit card was charged and that my box set was being shipped.

3. stever

stever Senior Member

4. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Could anybody buy a copy at BestBuy for me? If there's actually a bonus DVD and it's around $50, I'd gladly send the money to get it shipped to my humble home in France...

Else, it will be CDUniverse, as usual.

5. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Will do. Check your PM box.

6. zurge

zurge Forum Resident

A picture of the set, for those interested:

[​IMG]

7. zurge

zurge Forum Resident

I apologize - someone else already posted the box set picture. Gorts, please feel free to delete this and my previous post.

8. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

9. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there will be a lot more mono single mixes than what was originally believed! In any event, Tuesday can't get here fast enough!!!

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Big Al is right,I do see some extra mono 45 mixes I did not see on the original track listings....but,I still think there are other mono 45 versions that are not included. Do we know what version of "Dance To The Music" is included? It says "mono single". It would be nice to get the original shorter mono 45 version(the first pressing) I guess we are getting the common 45 version.
    I also don't see "Hot Fun In The Summertime" or "Everybody Is A Star" as mono 45 mixes...would have been nice to include them somewhere in this collection.

JF

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Does anyone know if it will appear in the Best Buy retail stores at the same price?

12. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Sorry couldn't tell for sure, but do all Best Buy online orders contain the bonus DVD or must they be purchased in the store?

Thanks,
    Dave

13. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Yeah, it is really odd those 2 tracks aren't on the box. I think Greatest Hits might get a reissue at some point. CD Universe has had it listed as a pre order for ages..

14. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member Thread Starter

In the website listing, there's a small notation "Best Buy Exclusive" - I assume that refers to the bonus DVD. If it turns out to be only an in-store thing, I'm going to be mighty peeved, but I'd be surprised if they had different versions of the same set for online and in-store sales. Most of the Best Buy exclusives like this have the extras packaged inside the sets.

15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Ok - thanks. I figured the same thing and ordered it.

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I went ahead and ordered from BB. Worse-case, I got the set for cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it so far, even if it doesn't have the DVD. Plus, I can't imagine how often I'd really watch the thing (assuming it's just a collection of vintage TV clips, a la the Byrds one, which I've only ever watched once).

17. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

My Best Buy order for the Collection just shipped. :goodie: Can't wait to hear these, and hopefully it will come with the bonus DVD.

18. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

I wonder why these are 'limited' editions? You would think at least Stand and Riot would at least stay in print.

19. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Could just be these particular digipak versions that are limited. They might be coming out in standard cases later or something. I'd imagine these editions will replace the current versions and stay in-print indefinitely. Sly's never been out of print (at least on CD) so far, right? :confused:

20. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

BB shipped mine today. Shipping was a whopping $1.49. woo-hoo. Thanks for the word on this offer.

21. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

I am so curious to know what's on the Best Buy bonus dvd!

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Me too, though it's the collector in me that would want it.

I almost never watch these bonus DVDs, or if start them I rarely finish them.

23. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I hope they include "Thank You" from the Dick Cavett show. It's an amazing performance. That 1968 NBC Show is pretty cool too

24. oldgoat

oldgoat Forum Resident

Live at the Fillmore

Wolfgang's Vault posted two shows recorded on 10-05-68 recorded at the Fillmore East which I believe is the album considered for release:
    http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/Concerts.aspx?stype=artist&id=6533

25. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I believe that the problem with the release of the Fillmore Concert is due to Sly's manager. He is also the reason that Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Royal Albert Hall hasn't been released. I understand he's a little tough to work with. Hopefully we'll see both of these concerts released in our lifetime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.