Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle 30th Anniversary remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

When I bought the LP back in 1977, the "space intro" seemed to
    me to be this superfluous thing that I hated having to "wait thru"
    when I put on Side 1 of the album... But its absence (or
    extreme truncation) on the DTS cd somehow completely ruined
    my ability to listen to the multichannel version...

Knowing that its mssing (AGAIN!) on the the new postponed/recalled
    set is not increasing my desire to buy the set.

If Target ends up selling it at the price they recently advertised,
    I'll probably still bite... but it will be for the bonus tracks on the
    CD and for the concert video.

Any comments about the quality of the concert video ?

I'm assuming the jerky video quality for the 30 minute
    special feature (interview/documentary?) is limited
    to that part of the disc. I'm hoping the 2 hour
    concert video looks "normal"...

2. Don C

Don C Member

The concert sounds very good, studio quality audio. It doesn't look quite as good, the show was in the evening and the stage lighting colors everyone's skin tone orange or magenta. It's not blurry or grainy, just tinted and saturated. Great performance though. Even at the 22.99 that I paid, it's a lot for the money.

3. Lexxy

Lexxy New Member

4. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

How is the remastered CD?
    At the moment, I listen a lot to the "Book of Dreams" DCC (my favorite Miller album) - so a good sounding Fly Like An Eagle CD should be next (I only have the DTS-CD and a German Mercury vinyl). But I don't like spending more than 30 Euros for it.. so, is it good enough??

Martin

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

Capitol confimed to me that there was a "technical problem that has now been corrected" for the July 18 street date. Can't get much more info than that, so we'll have to compare sets when July 18 rolls around...

6. Don C

Don C Member

It doesn't sound quite as bad as it looks, but I'll let the graphic speak for itself. This is a comparison of the dynamics of the same song, Rock'n Me, from two different Fly Like an Eagle discs. The software is Nero wave editor. The 30th anniversary CD is on top and the DCC gold CD below. Unfortunately, the story is becoming familiar. They have driven the levels beyond 100 percent, trying to make it sound louder. I hope that this is what they are going to correct.

Attached Files:

7. Don C

Don C Member

Here's a visual comparison of the tonal balance done with RightMark audio analyzer. The song is still Rock'n Me. The red and yellow is the DCC gold CD, while the green and white are the new 30Th remaster. You can see that the new version is louder, with less signal at the extreme high and low bands. I think that the other graphic does a better job of telling the story.

Attached Files:

8. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Perhaps they decided they haven't driven the levels loud enough and they corrected the master to feature a complete buzz cut. Louder! LOUDER!!

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

How will the corrected versions be identified? Will there be a SK1 sticker?

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The first version was recalled, so whatever one you see on the 18th should be the new one.

11. Don C

Don C Member

Is anyone going to get this today?

12. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I hoping to pick it up after work. If not, then sometime this week.

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

WHat prices are you guys seeing down there? If it's cheap, I may need a "smuggler".

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I heard from a friend in the tower the DVD had issues, not the cd itself. the DVD had a "glitch" is how it was phrased. So they redid them all, unlike the beatles boxes.

You'd think after their Beatles debacle, they'd do better quality control before going to print with this stuff.

Yes they did call all the boxes slotted for sale back for repressing on this one. Seems promo copies have not been recalled, so anyone buying a "promo" copy could get the glitched copy.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I saw this today in BestBuy for $22.99. I have the DCC issue and the DTS CD, so I am in no hurry to get this for the CD, but I am interested in hearing the new surround mix of the album (as well as watching the video), but am not to high on it being just Dolby Digital.

If I really wanted this I could order it from CDUniverse.com where it is priced at $17.49, along with a few other items in my wish list to hold down shipping costs.

I wait to hear to what others think about this release now that it is officially out before I bite.

16. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

Has anyone actually been able to find this anywhere today? I checked three stores including Best Buy and a local music store and nobody had it. BB checked and nobody in the region had the disc in stock. Has it been delayed again?

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

If you read my post right above yours, you would see that I saw it at the BestBuy near me in East Hanover, NJ. They had three copies marked $22.99.

18. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Best Buy in Houston had many copies at the Richmond @ 610 store. I also Asked the guy there if they had any SACDs or
    DVD-As and good golly he went to the back and brought out a cart full. I picked up about 12 I didn't have.

Circuit City at San Felipe had NONE, no soup for you!

Jim in Houston

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They really screwed things up by recalling it as Target had it advertised for $13.99. Target's ad said it was recalled, so "no rainchecks". Now it's out, and Target doesn't have it on sale!

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, of course. And the same thing will happen with that Prince collection whenever it gets re-released.

21. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

HMV has it in Canada. Low numbers in stock at each store though. $24.99

22. Reggie K

Reggie K New Member

I got it for $13.98 at my Best Buy today, because I pricematched with the old Target ad. The cashier never bothered to look at the date.

23. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I saw it today at CostCo. I don't remember the price but it was under $20.

24. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

This thing is freaking fantastic. One of the best discs this year. Talk about detailing! And there is adequate bass as well. It does not sound thin or strident at all. Totally different from the album version I remember. Run out and buy this one! The things like cymbals could have a bit more presence but everything just hangs together so well. Also, the surround is perfect. You really forget that this is Dolby. It would be nice to have this in high-rez but I am not disappointed at all.

I am talking about the 5.1 of course. The "bonus CD" is likely to never get played.

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Does the DVD have a stereo track of any kind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.