Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle 30th Anniversary remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

The DVD has a Dolby 2.0 option on the Documentary and the Concert. The Album in 5.1 is just that. Anyway there is the CD in PCM if you want stereo of that. There is no PCM on the DVD.

2. aftermath6202

aftermath6202 New Member

Since I grew up with this album being a near constant mainstay on my turntable in my high school years, I was excited at the prospect of a 5.1 mix. But color me dissappointed. Sounds exactly like many posts in this thread; way too bright, some instrumental sections missing (Space Intro is completely MIA; the funny little making- out squeal in You Send Me, etc.) and it just sounded bland to me.

But on the other hand, the conventional CD blew me away. One of the best remasterings I've heard in years. There's so much more presence and detail to the instruments with things jumping out that I'd never noticed before. MUCH better than the re-release of a few years back.

The half-hour documentary is great with a lot of info I'd never known about Steve (his Dad's friendships with Les Paul, Mary Ford and T-Bone Walker who often hung around the house) and a great story about how the "beep" sound at the end of the album version of Fly Like An Eagle came to be....and you get a two hour concert with over 20 plus cuts, too.

Jeff

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I've still got the original one with the so-called glitch. Haven't opened it. Anyone determined what the difference is?

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Sounds like a "I'll pass" re-release to me. I'm tired of this lp by SM anyway. FM radio has wore it out - give me a remastered "Joker", or "#5". The latter is his shining moment - "Jackson-Kent Blues", with SM on echo-plex guitars is a real mind - f**k . "Going To Mexico"? - now we're talking...

5. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I must be listening to a different version because I don't hear this brightness. There is also an adequate amount of bass and believe me, I like lots of bass usually. To me the high end is not there enough. It is somewhat muffled. The percussion could be clearer. This is a release where I am glad that I ignored the naysayers and picked it up. The concert is also well done. Haven't listened to the CD yet. Does anyone have the little spackling issue with the CD label? Almost looks like they put fine grains of sand on there before they put the label on. May never find out whether it affected the playing of the disc though.

6. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

JVC issued an XRCD of The Joker in 1998 that sounds pretty good.
    The Joker

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Methinks they're talking about the brightness of the CD. Not the 5.1
    Don't forget which forum you're on. ;)

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks, Joelee - I'm going to try and track that cd down.

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Do you have the DTS CD of this title? If so, how does it compare to the new DVD?

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Post #29 had some comparisons

11. MikeT

Thanks. I didn't really want to read the entire thread again. :shrug:

I wonder, though, if the "fixed" issues with the DVD actually had some effect on the surround sound mix? I guess I will "break down" and order this thing from the most inexpensive place possible.

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

As my wife needed to make a quick "WALMART" stop yesterday afternoon (Yeah, we both hate WALMART too, but it's so damned convienent and what else is left sucks!)

Per usual, I go back to their comedy routine of a music department and lo and behold, they actually had one copy of the 30th remaster for $19.88. Not being able to pass up those falling prices...Yeah, BIG DEAL, right! Just the fact that WALMART researched the fact that people will buy tons more product, if you make it 88 cents versus the usual 99 cents, found everywhere else, just pi**es my off to NO end!

Whatever! I'll hopefully give the 5.1 surround a spin later today. For the record, I was one of the few that was NEVER very satisfied with the original DTS version of this title in surround! One of the few from DTS, that left me cold. I'm hopeful that the surround on the new disc, will be more playful and detailed.

Chris C

13. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I don't have the DTS version. It was always too expensive up here. Over $30. This one has so much more for less.

14. timw

timw Senior Member

I never had the original dts either but I believe this was one of those early dts releases (With the HDS logo on the cover). I had the Poco-Crazy eyes dts/HDS disc and hated the mix. The balance between the front & surround channels in the mix was so off...it actually sounded better if I listened facing the surround channels!! I swore i would never get one of these HDS discs again...even though I was tempted with this Steve Miller classic!

15. seasideboy

seasideboy Senior Member

I was told the glitch was in the concert footage. Supposedly the audio and viedo weren't synced up properly. Haven't viewed it myself though.

16. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I'm sticking with my DCC. Might get the anniversary version much, much later. Anybody here try the DCC "Eagle" with Dolby ProLogic II?

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Get it now!

Speaking only about the DVD:

The 5.1 mix is fantastic! Best Dolby Digital sound I have ever heard for a music only disc. Robert Vosgien did the mastering and it sounds beautiful. I hear no artifacts or shrillness or anything negative. Compare this to something like the Ben Folds dualdisc which sounds pinched and veiled. Great mix by Ed Cherney. The simple songs have a simple mix (love how you're in the middle of the drums on Take The Money And Run) and stuff like the title track and Wild Mountain Honey are very discrete and busy. Best surround purchase in a long time.

The documentary is really good and I only sampled the concert but it was great as well.

Jam757 likes this.
  18. MikeT

If Daved64 says its a good surround mix, it HAS to be a good surround mix. My order is in with CDUniverse.com. Looking forward to it now.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks Mike. I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised. Like I said, stuff like Take The Money And Run and Serenade are not Flaming Lips type mixes, but overall, it's a great disc.

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Without reading the whole thread......anyone know what the deal is with Space Intro? Was it just deemed too long or was the tape damaged?

21. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Like I said......

22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Just got my copy today from CD Universe.

Can't wait to give it a spin after the kids/wife go to bed!:)

23. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

When I play the 30th Anniversary edition and my DCC version on my computer, the album cover image on the monitor is the DTS cover. Any ideas about what's happening here? I guess the program that identifies the discs has only that image associated with this title.

24. Bill Sherbon

Bill Sherbon Forum Resident

What program are you playing it with? On the computer I use J. River's Media Center and I point it to album cover images I get from the walmart.com site (these are larger images than most other places like Amazon). It's a little more work doing it manually but this way I get the cover I specify and its usually a better image than one from automatic downloading. Acoustic Sound has good images too (and I'm sure many other sites as well).

25. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I'm playing them on Windows Media Player (9, I think). I've just listened to the CD from the new edition and I think it sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.