Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle 30th Anniversary remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

I got my copy today...... love it for the bonus cuts. The Red Book is a very good remaster (IMO) although DCC's version is still my reference.

2. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A great set! I would agree with all the previous comments about the quality of the DD 5.1 mix. This sounds as good as, if not better than many of my SACD's and DVD-A's.

I would rather have a true hi-rez version, but I would not hesitate at all to purchase additional 5.1 DD music that is done as well "Fly Like an Eagle".

"Dance, Dance, Dance" and "Mercury Blues" are fantastic sounding in 5.1.

Now bring on "Book of Dreams"!

Brian

Jam757 likes this.
  3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The more I play this the more I wonder what brightness people are hearing? This 5.1 mix has one of the mellowest top ends I've ever heard.

4. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Blocking Artifacts?

When Amazon failed to supply the Steve Miller set,I picked it up at Walmart.I noted some "blocking"artifacts(from bad mpeg video data reduction) on "Abracadabra" & "Jungle Love".Could this be the "glitch" that got the first pressing recalled? However.I should note that the sound/picture synchronization is perfect on my set.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Just saw this at Costco for $15.99!!!!

I'm mainly interested in the video.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Re: Blocking Artifacts?

the glitch is a couple of seconds of dialogue, not music where steve is seen talking and the sound is not in sync to his lips, he saw it and flipped, insisting capitol recall them all. A friend of mine has the "glitch" copy and he still hasn't found this flaw, its not a defect on how the disc plays, they played fine. "Glitch" :sigh: is probably the wrong word, "sync error" is more like it

Seems that this recall cost Capitol hundreds of thousands of dollars, and when they went to take re-orders, had a lot less of them the second time around. So they losing some dough big time on this reissue.

seems that Miller signed off on on this release approving its content etc. via "his people", so Capitol is trying to get the lost $$$ back from Miller, since his camp "OKd" the discs as fine for release.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Well I finally picked this disc up. I love the CD, really nice sounding. But the DVD, now that is a different story. I love the 5.1 MIX, but the mastering sucks. It is WAY TOO BRIGHT in the mid treble, the cymbols just shimmer. But there is no real top end, I guess that you can't expect a top end with dolby digital since it is all cut off. But since there is no top end at all there is no air, no life. The mid-treble is pumped up so high that everything in the 12,000 to 15,000 Hz region just shimmers. Also, the dolby digital sucks. If they went to the trouble and expence of re-mixing this in 5.1 (a really good mix, I might add), then they should have put a DVD-A layer on this or a DTS 24/96 track. As it is, I would not recommend any one to buy this disc. The DVD sucks.

9. therockman

And there is one more thing that i forgot to mention. There is no dynamic range in the DVD. The CD has a lot of dynamic range but the DVD is compressed and maximized to heck. This is one loud DVD. I usally play my music DVDs with my volume control set to about -20 or so, with this DVD I had to turn it down to -32. Even at -32 the volume in the room was a constant 88 db/spl. I usally listen to my music at about 84 db/spl, but this disc has no dynamic range so it is a constant sound. Unfortunately this is one of the worse music DVDs that I have heard, except for Barbara Streisand's ONE VOICE which is the absolute worse sounding music DVD I have ever heard.

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Yes, this product is an absolute piece of garbage. I never opened mine. At least the price was right: $13.99. May sell it eventually once it's out of print and worth something. Actually it was worth something for awhile, since I got ahold of the 1st edition, but now it's not.

11. Abacab

Abacab Forum Resident

Not saying it's a good disc, but how do you know if you've never opened it?

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Dolby Digital -- that's all one needs to know about it. I was hoping for a higher resolution. It wasn't clear at the time what the disk contained. Similar packaged disks usually did offer more.

13. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Hmmm, I think the Dolby Digital 5.1 track sounds very good, actually it is one of the best DD music I have heard...

Maybe extraordinary good 5.1-mix is playing tricks with me, but to my ears it is a very good sounding DVD disc.

If this is the worst you have heard, i wonder what else you have been listening to?

For the record, I am a HiRez-guy rather than a MP3/Ipod-guy.

//Uffe

14. therockman

It is just Dolby Digital, that says a lot right there. There is no air, no breath of life. But the problems with this disc are specific to this disc, it is poorly mastered. You can't expect any top end from any dolby digital material since the treble has a very steep roll-off to save bits, but this disc has such a bright mid-treble region that it is almost uncomfortable to listen to. The area between about 12,000 to about 15,000 Hz just shimmers in such an unpleaseant way that it not enjoyable. And the mastering engineer decided that whoever would listen to this DVD must not like any dynamic range because it was compressed so that there is no life left in this music. It is a shame because the 5.1 mix is fantastic.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

You keep harping on this, yet have you heard it? It sounds better than MANY hi rez discs I own. Amazing sound.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Oh, here we go, I missed this. Your incredible. HOW can you call it garbage when you HAVE NOT HEARD IT????

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The same way I'd call an IPOD garbage.

18. therockman

That is one of the craziest things I have ever read. This disc sounds like garbage. Read my previous posts.

19. therockman

This disc is just WAY TOO BRIGHT for my tastes, I can barely stand it.

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I only bought this because of all the recall hype. I had thought I might be getting something valuable.

21. therockman

This is not fair. Can't a person use an IPOD to store uncompressed musical files?

22. Abacab

Abacab Forum Resident

Yes. You can also buy 300 dollar ear buds which sound pretty damn good. An iPod does not inherently mean crap. The method of compression (if any) and the bit rate are important.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Guys, let's stop the iPod debate. That is hardly the subject of this thread. Thank you.

Now, back to Fly Like An Eagle.

24. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Try a Ford Taurus. Plenty of recalls. You could make millions.:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.