Stone Roses' debut 20th anniversary box set due in June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JuanTCB, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

How is it different? I used to own both, but now I only have the CD... I don't recall them being different?

3. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

The Very Best Of collection that came out a few years ago is fairly brickwalled and looks a lot like that image, so I guess it would be too much to expect them to make it any better than that...

4. Gems-A-Bems

5. hutlock

6. sf74

sf74 Active Member

the version of Full Fathom Five on the reissue (as well as on The Complete...) is basically a straightforward reversed version of Elephant Stone (with the exception of a really wah-wah guitar intro before the band comes in)

the version of FFF on the original 12" is a dub remix version of Elephant Stone in reverse.

it's interesting that Full Fathom Five didn't have overdubbed vocals by Ian Brown with "reverse lyrics" like Don't Stop and Guernica.

7. hutlock

Thanks for the info! Now I've got to hear it!!! I have a soft spot for all those backwards tracks of theirs...

8. Gems-A-Bems

This discussion of "Full Fathom Five" inspired me to listen to it reversed (the later version). It's actually not bad at all. Even though it's missing the harmony vocals Brown's voice doesn't really sound bad, and it's even a little bit more listenable than the 7inch version (I love it, but honestly that version is a treble nightmare). The only thing really wrong with listening to it backwards is a screaming guitar at what ends up being the intro that sounds fine on "Full Fathom Five" but is out of place on "Elephant Stone".

9. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

10. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

11. DaveVak

DaveVak Member

This one retails for 115-128$, it's killing me.
    The prices of these Boxsets including vinyls are getting out of hand (Pixies 495$, Pearl Jam's Ten 140$)...please...

12. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

Yes I bought the 7" vinyl reissues. Well I received the first one (with the box). Bought the 2nd one off an amazon.co.uk seller but have no place to preorder the rest. Any ideas?

13. sf74

sf74 Active Member

for folks in the US, the reissues (including the box set) are getting a domestic release. Amazon.com has the box for $117ppd. that's around the same price Amazon UK but it's less of a journey.

14. hutlock

Any word on whether the mastering will be the same as the UK set? I would hope so, but you never know...

15. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

How do they sound?

16. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

I would have to break the sticker on the 7" that reads "Limited Edition" as if convincing me NOT to break the seal! lol I am curious, so maybe I'll do a needle drop tonite.

17. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i ordered the reissue 7"s but i'm having them shipped together so i don't have to pay for shipping one single every week. hopefully i'll have them in when the the deluxe edition comes out.

18. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

I put a couple needle drops from the first stone roses 7" Elephant Stone & Hardest Thing in the World. My first time, so hopefully I did it ok.

http://rudys.net/stoneroses/

19. hutlock

Just got an e-mail from Amazon -- release date on this has been bumped to September 8.

Between that and the Beatles boxes, my bank account is going to take a MASSIVE hit that week. Why would they put it out THAT week out of all the weeks they could have picked?!?

20. govegan

govegan Member

Nice job. Sounds good to me, both the quality of the needledrops and the quality of the single.

21. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

posted 2 off the #2 single for those interested.

22. hutlock

Great, thanks! You did a nice job on that first one!

23. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

fyi, posted 2 more off the #3 single

24. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Has anybody heard the full CDs yet? I know there's promos out there

25. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

Pearl Jam's boxset was $400 bucks in Australia. you think you've got problems?

i might just get the std vinyl for this seeing as the cd is brickwalled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.