Stone Roses' debut 20th anniversary box set due in June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JuanTCB, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

How do you know the CD is brickwalled?

2. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Anybody get the collector's megaset yet? Mine shipped from the UK today but will take at least a few days to arrive.

3. hutlock

Amazon in the US isn't shipping this until September 8... :cry:

4. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i ordered from Amazon.com instead of UK. it was $117 shipped. around the same price as getting it from the UK but it's shorter distance to ship. the only drawback is that the US released got pushed back a month (Sept 6). but i'm not bothered since there probably isn't anything on this set that i haven't already heard.

5. Mistermono

Yeah, I'm in Canada and between the delayed release date and the fact the currency exchange and Amazon US charging import fees the price was about even (I ordered from the Hut and they only charge GBP 2.35 to ship).

Only real difference is the DVD will likely be region 2 but I have a region-free player (and I've already got the Blackpool gig on the Stone Roses DVD from 2004).

Amazon UK has snippets of the demos. "Pearl Bastard" is actually a decent tune. Unlike "Black Magic Devil Woman" it's a real song, not a jam.

6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I don't know why you'd get the new vinyl if you already have the original and given that you can get a near mint copy for $10 from Discogs....

I asked John Leckie about the new vinyl and he said it was transferred from the original tapes to a digital intermediate, 24/48.

He also said he had pleaded with Sony to do a 5.1 mix of the album but they weren't interested because they said it wouldn't be commercially viable.

You can see my question and his answer here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-pr...4-loudness-war-questions-new-stone-roses.html

Personally I think the original CD is a great example of how good CD can sound...but the UK '89 vinyl pressing still is substantially superior.

For Fools Gold the Simply Vinyl 12" issue with the Grooverider mix on the flipside is a great addition. The also did She Bangs The Drums.

How easy is it to find the 45rpm release and is it a UK pressing?

I'd still be interested to know if the new one is better, but the original pressing sounds pretty analog-y to me!

7. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

I got the shipment email as well (from the UK). I'll post photos and needledrops. can't wait!

8. SickMouthy

SickMouthy New Member

Hello Hutlock.

9. Mistermono

A UK original is still on my list and I was searching for a copy when the anniversary editions were announced. This is one of my all-time favourite albums, so the mega-deluxe edition was a no-brainer. I think $10 for a NM UK original is optimistic (seeing as shipping alone from the UK runs about $10), but hey, YMMV.

Thanks for sharing the Leckie info. Really too bad that Sony rejected the 5.1 idea. Aren't the videos and Blackpool Live mixed to 5.1 on the 2004 DVD set? My recollection (before my cheap XBOX 5.1 system bit the dust) is that the 5.1 mixes on that set weren't exactly revelatory.

10. hutlock

Hey Southy! I was wondering when I'd bump into you around here!

11. SickMouthy

SickMouthy New Member

You've done 800+ posts in 2 MONTHS?! Chris must be doing all yr work.

12. hutlock

Well, I've been staying away from that OTHER board a bit... notice Miller has passed me!

Anyway, not to derail the thread... are you buying this Stone Roses set or not?

13. SickMouthy

SickMouthy New Member

Certainly not the big one or the 2CD set. Can't justify it (dropped a grand on a new iMac this morning). Tempted by the single disc but really what I want is the basic album remastered and the Turns Into Stone contents remastered as a separate release / bonus disc.

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

When I was just in the UK, (early June) the best copy I could come up with that didn't look as though it had been thrashed about was 15 pounds...
    Checking on recent ebay and private seller activity basically hints that this is a good price for this record...
    So...if $30 is alright..you are in business...
    It does sound awesome....BTW!

Record shopping was monumental fun for Em and I during those two weeks...We brought home around 55 records or something...had to purchase a case for them to be included in..(an old LP snap-shut case - for 5 pounds...)

15. hutlock

Isn't that basically the 2CD version then?

16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Sorry, should have said pounds. I got mine for 12 pounds and I think I paid around 5 or 6 pounds for shipping. So around $20 would be a bit more realistic.

Never listened to the 5.1 videos, but I'm sure on DVD-V whether Dolby or dts the fidelity couldn't have been too impressive.

I would have liked to see Leckie get in there and make a new 5.1 mix straight from the analog tapes to 24/192 and released on Blu-ray. These guys need to start including this sort of thing to make "ultimate" whatever editions REALLY be ultimate.

The Pixies upcoming box set, now that's how you do it (other than price). 5.1 24/192 mixes on Blu-ray of each album, 24/96 mixes on DVD-V of all albums, 180g vinyls and 24k Gold CD's - $475.

The $175 edition includes the 24/192 Blu-ray versions so that's the one I'll try to get. I would have ordered the box set in a heartbeat if they'd done this.

This is one of my all-time favourite albums too, top 5 to be precise and perhaps #2 behind "A Northern Soul" by The Verve. (NIN's Pretty Hate Machine might also take the #2 spot, I'd have to think quite hard.) The money is making me balk, that and the fact that I have the UK vinyl, the CD, the '95 12" Fools Gold vinyl and the 2 12" Simply Vinyl releases. :)

17. Mistermono

You really must have been in your element. The hard part is trying to remember (or forget) that the prices are in pounds. There are deals though. My mono White Album was 10 pounds from a stall in Covent Garden. And my 606-1 Revolver was 30 from Haggle in Islington.

So much awesome stuff over there...

18. SickMouthy

SickMouthy New Member

Nah; CD2 in that set is the "lost demos". Gee, thanks for that, Sony.

19. hutlock

Oh right -- that's why I was buying the super-fantastic version in the first place -- that third disc!

20. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

As I mentioned upstream, I recently got both the UK and Japan first CDs of this. (They are the same mastering.) To me they sound better than the typical U.S. releases -- just check out the opening of "She Bangs The Drums", where this UK mix is totally different. Anyone who likes this album but has not heard the UK CD should get a copy.

I am also a bit of a purist and wanted to hear the album with its original 11-track running order, not the 12 or 13-track versions that followed.

Incidentally, there is a numbered UK "special edition" (I think it came out in '91) which includes "Elephant Stone" and the rather pointless short version of "Fools Gold". That disc seems to have the same mastering for the original album tracks.

21. hutlock

I have the original US pressing of the CD, and it does not have "Fools Gold" tacked on the end either like the later versions, but it DOES have "Elephant Stone" inserted as track 3. Not sure if the mastering matches the UK and Japan versions, but the tracklist is closer anyway. Does anyone know about the mastering?

22. SickMouthy

SickMouthy New Member

Remaster sounds good; maybe very good. Certainly better. Bit loud but not mashed or ruined enjoying this album much more than I have in maybe years. That could be the B&W 685s though.

23. SickMouthy

SickMouthy New Member

Chuck the horrific John Robb liner notes though. ****ing idiot.

24. SickMouthy

SickMouthy New Member

Most improved track = Shoot You Down. Wow!

25. hutlock

*salivating*

Shame I have to wait a whole month for it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.