The Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary edition on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claudio Dirani, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Great record. "Sweet Fire Of Love" is a full written & performed collaboration with U2. I have it on my own JT B-sides set.

Another JT sessions track is "Beautiful Ghost", which is on the Complete U2 Itunes set. I'm curious if that will be on this new set.

2. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Yes! it was this one, I remember a kick *** version of "Helter Sklelter" that night.

http://www.elevation-tour.com/show745.html

Thanks for the link! I still have the backstage pass, it's in a box in the attic. I'll see if I can find it and scan it.
    You can buy this one on ebay, it's the same one but without the date filled in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/U2-1987-JOSHUA-...yZ105059QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

And yes, Steve Lillywhite was and still is one helluva nice guy! Generous too...at least with U2 tickets. :p
    Cheers....

3. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

I like what you're saying....:righton:
    But I think we will get the Red Rock show done up like the past 2 U2 concert DVD's. Maybe the extra/deleted songs will be included on a bonus disc.

4. Stateless

Stateless New Member

"Slow Dancing" was the B-side of "Stay" released in 1993. There is also a version they cut with Willie Nelson that is on the "If God Will Send Us Angels" single from 1997.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I, for one, would buy deluxe editions of the whole catalog. As I noted above, it will be interesting to see if they follow this up with a deluxe Achtung Baby, which would be the logical next step. I'd also personally like to see a deluxe Rattle and Hum, with all of the great non-lp b-sides and live tracks that didn't make that album.

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Cork City was my favorite show from that tour

7. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Since they first played the song in 1989 (Japan?), I thought that a (earlier) studio version could be in the vault? I love this song.

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Will "Womanfish" be in the bonus section? The only known version was a live TV appearance just before JT was finished.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The track list for the rarities disc has not yet been announced. We're all just speculating. I hope it includes the French EP underdub of "Interstellar Overdrive," though … :shh:

10. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I don't know when the version that came out in '93 was cut. It sounds like it could be a RATTLE & HUM outtake. Who knows? I agree it is a fine tune.

11. Isn't there also a 180g vinyl reissue coming up of JT, too? I thought I saw that somewhere. But nothing extra - just the standard album tracks.

-Bill

12. Hawkfire269

Hawkfire269 Forum Resident

Re: Slow Dancing, this was written in Australia on tour in 1989, played at a couple of Lovetown dates in late 1989. But the B-side on the Stay single in 1993 was actually recorded in the Zooropa sessions in winter 1993.

13. Stateless

Stateless New Member

14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

:laugh:

15. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

That is pretty much guaranteed.

16. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Actually I was just over on the musicdirect site, and it looks like Boy, War, Unforgetable Fire, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby are all due to be released on 180 gram vinyl in October. Wonder what the source material is for these? Who mastered them? Weird!

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I wish the live portion of the deluxe package would be audio. Some people totally dig footage, but in general, I don't have the time to watch footage. I would much rather prefer the audio portion of a live show. Of course one can rip the audio, but that isn't the point.

Just like with the Springsteen Born To Run 25th Anniversary package, the consumer is given 2 DVDs. Who has time to watch Wings For Wheels and how often with they? The Hammersmith gig is incredible, but the audio should have been available from the start, not 6+ months later in a seperate package.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I was thinking about this last night, and the fact that we're getting this in November means that there will be no new U2 album until November 2008 at the earliest. Their past several albums have been released in November to take advantage of the Grammy rules allowing a single released in August or September to win the Grammy one year and then the November album to win the Grammy the next year. Plus, of course, releasing an album in November maximizes Christmas sales. I wasn't expecting the new album to come out this year anyway, but I sure hope we get it next year and not in November 2009.

19. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

This pretty much sums up my view on deluxe packaging--less video, more audio!!!!

20. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Agree #1

Agree #2

21. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

i can't believe it's been 20 years already. and yet another missed opprotunity for a DVD-A release.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

There's a superb rendition of Spring Hill Mining Disaster from around this time as well. That should be included on the B-Sides, bonus disc, imo. :)

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Lovely performance from January, 1990, at the Ahoy.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Testimony is credited solely to RR. As mentioned earlier, Sweet Fire is credited as a collaboration between RR and U2.

25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great news, indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.