The Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary edition on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claudio Dirani, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

You won't like it if it makes your ears hurt, though. Same if the Beatles reissues all sound like "1". :sigh:

2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

4. Gebo84

Gebo84 New Member

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

...and available for preorder on amazon now

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

7. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Other U2 reissues warranted?

I'd also like to see a deluxe 25th (in 2008) anniversary for 'Under A Blood Red Sky'... encompassing both the entire Red Rocks concert - which is terrific - and the other show(s) that some of those songs were taken from. 2CDs would do this up pretty nicely, with maybe the DVD as an option.

While The Joshua Tree put them over the top worldwide, in the US I'd argue that the live video from this show for 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' was what really started them registering, especially as far as MTV was concerned. To this day I'd still love to see a show at that venue, mainly based upon this concert. Used to have a (taped-off-MTV!) video of that show, and releasing the whole thing would really be a great way to both highlight and look back upon those first 3 LPs of material.

And yes, the fact that both discs are 20+ now is making me feel old! :thumbsup:

8. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall Thread Starter

I wish they'd leaked the details, especially regarding disc 2.
    Claudio

9. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Hippodrome set list from that night:

Stand By Me (Ben E King), C'Mon Everybody (Eddie Cochran), I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't…, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, In God's Country, Electric Co., Help (Beatles), Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, With or Without You, Party Girl, 40

10. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

11. RW-audio

RW-audio Forum Resident

Up on HMV w/track listings...

Seems odd that 'Where the Streets Have No Name' isn't (wasn't?) part of the Paris set...

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?&sku=719790

Disc One
    1. Where The Streets Have No Name
    2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    3. With Or Without You
    4. Bullet The Blue Sky
    5. Running To Stand Still
    6. Red Hill Mining Town
    7. In God's Country
    8. Trip Through Your Wires
    9. One Tree Hill
    10. Exit
    11. Mothers Of The Disappeared

Disc Two
    1. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
    2. Walk To The Water
    3. Spanish Eyes
    4. Deep In The Heart
    5. Silver And Gold
    6. Sweetest Thing
    7. Race Against Time
    8. Where The Streets Have No Name [Single Edit]
    9. Silver And Gold [Sun City Version]
    10. Beautiful Ghost / Introduction To Songs Of Experience
    11. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
    12. Desert Of Our Love
    13. Rise Up
    14. Drunk Chicken / America

Disc Three - DVD
    1. I Will Follow [Live From Paris]
    2. Trip Through Your Wires [Live From Paris]
    3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For [Live From Paris]
    4. MLK [Live From Paris]
    5. Unforgettable Fire [Live From Paris]
    6. Sunday Bloody Sunday [Live From Paris]
    7. Exit [Live From Paris]
    8. In God's Country [Live From Paris]
    9. The Electric Co. [Live From Paris]
    10. Bad [Live From Paris]
    11. October [Live From Paris]
    12. New Year's Day [Live From Paris]
    13. Pride (In The Name Of Love) [Live From Paris]
    14. Bullet The Blue Sky [Live From Paris]
    15. Running To Stand Still [Live From Paris]
    16. With Or Without You [Live From Paris]
    17. Party Girl [Live From Paris]
    18. ''40'' [Live From Paris]
    19. Outside It's America
    20. With Or Without You
    21. Red Hill Mining Town

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

From what I've read, the band had major problems recording "Streets" in the studio - maybe they had problems working up a live arrangement of it as well? Of course, once it entered their set, it never left. Interesting that they closed with "Red Hill Mining Town" - I've read that that song was originally scheduled to be the second single from the album, but that it was in a key that was not comfortable for Bono to sing live, so it was quickly dropped from the live set, and shelved as a single.

I'm not familiar with tracks 10 - 15. Have they ever been bootlegged or released on the iTunes box set, etc.? Has anyone heard any of them?

13. Claudio Dirani

No, and I'm happy about that.
    I hope they are real "new things", you know. If you know those Achtung demos, there were several songs with different titles that ended up being transformed on the commercial tracks later.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Leaving aside the sound quality issues of the remastering (which I don't really care about, as I've got a nice copy of the original vinyl release of the album), this set looks like it is chock-full of good bonus material.

15. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Those last two are probably Promo Videos.

16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I bet it'll sound better than the standard CD from 1987.
    Mine is incorrectly indexed (Exit starts with the ending of One Tree Hill); you don't notice unless you play the disc randomly.

Can't wait for this release. To think it was 20 years ago when this was originally released...!!!???:eek:

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Unless I'm mistaken, there never was a video for "Red Hill Mining Town," as it was never released as a single.

18. Claudio Dirani

Oh yeah, definitely. The CD sounds very flat to my ears!

19. Claudio Dirani

I think there was! It was one of those rarely screened U2 videos. It was directed by Neil Jordan, by the way. It's cool they're including it now in the package, because it's one of the fewest U2 videos I don't own.

20. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

It very nearly was, so I'm wondering if they did make a promo vid with that in mind. Guess we'll have to wait and see. :agree:

[Edit: Claudio beat me to it!]

21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

"Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience" was on the iTunes Complete U2 collection.

22. Claudio Dirani

Yes, that's true. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy it now. No iTunes here for me, you know.

23. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

The Hippodrome show did not start with WhereTheStreets. Now and then (including a few shows around this time), U2 would open instead with something like "Stand By Me". I thought that was weird, too.

http://www.elevation-tour.com/show556.html

So it appears that they're leaving the first two songs of the night ("Stand By Me" and "C'mon Everybody") off this release. Personally not a big deal to me, since it's a great package anyway and the Paris show that had "Electric Co.", but I'm sure some complaints will be forthcoming.

rcb

24. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Wow!

There was a RHMT video, but it is possibly *the* rarest thing that U2 have ever done in that it was well and truly sunk by the band. (Possibly because they didn't want to be seen as overtly anti-Thatcher as it is a song about the destruction of the mining way of life and the 1 single photo I have ever seen from the video - in the Bio 'The Unforgettable Fire' shows Edge and Bono dressed as miners).

I have never seen it screened, never seen it on a b**t DVD and never seen it one a f*l*-share. And none of the hard-core U2 fans I know have ever seen it either... (and they are pretty hard-core!)

I am actually seriously surprised (as you might have gathered!) that it is finally being released!

P.S. Oh and good to see they haven't missed any of the B-sides, and have included the single edit of 'Streets' too... Is this a Deluxe Edition nobody can find anything to moan about?

P.P.S. Knowing us lot - I doubt it :)

25. Claudio Dirani

Yes, I'm happy about to see the single version here.
    And yes, it seems it's the ultimate de luxe version...no reason to complain about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.