The Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary edition on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claudio Dirani, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

What was the deal with the "Streets" single edit? I seem to recall it just had a shorter intro. Was anything else edited out of it?

2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall Thread Starter

Some differences in the mixing plus The Edge's backing vocals are quite upfront on it.

3. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I remember reading that a video was shot, by Neil Jordan: IIRC, one of their biography had a picture of Bono and Edge on the set...

4. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

any word if the DVD concert is a 5.1 mix?

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I stand corrected on the video, but I can't believe that it was shelved because the band didn't want to be seen as overtly anti-Thatcher. It's not as if they shied away from explicity political statements during the 80s.

I can't find anything to complain about. Maybe the only thing I would like to see here that isn't here is the two tracks from Robbie Robertson's 1987 album that U2 played on (which this thread turned me onto, by the way), but it would probably be a licensing nightmare to include to those, and they're not really Joshua Tree outtakes, I don't think, so no, I can't complain about this release - other than the fact that buying the vinyl and the CD/DVD editions is going to cost me a lot of money. :p

6. RW-audio

RW-audio Forum Resident

Well, errr, nobody's heard it yet, have they? :hide:

I agree, though, it does look pretty sweet...

7. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Right: remember their cover of Maggie's Farm

8. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

A non-Monday (EU) or Tuesday (US & CA) release date!

9. cartologist

Throw in Daniel Lanois' Acadie (1989) for good measure. Link in Peter Gabriel's So (1986) and Dylan's Oh Mercy and you have a thread of late '80s big music.

The song name is "Testimony" (if not already mentioned) and U2 provide backing vocals.

10. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Wow, they are really doing this right. :thumbsup: All the B-sides, 4 unreleased tracks, the mythical "Red Hill" video, a full concert & documentary. :agree: I also like the fact that you have the option to just get the remastered album if you don't want all of the extras. I would love to see the rest of the catalog reissued in this fashion. It does seem a little strange that "Streets" isn't on the DVD, but it's not really a big deal. It's on every live DVD from RATTLE & HUM on. The version on the ELEVATION BOSTON DVD being the best IMO. :thumbsup: all around. Let's just hope it sounds good!

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

One would assume that the rest of the catalog will receive this treatment sooner or later. I'm guessing that Achtung Baby would be the logical next choice, followed maybe by War? I like the idea someone proposed about expanding Under a Blood Red Sky to a full-length concert (or concerts). Columbia turned Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-é EP into a two-CD Deluxe Edition, iirc, so it could be done. It's hard to believe that U2 have never issued an official full-length live album.

12. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

As mentioned before, every once in a while on the JT tour the band would mix things up and come out (with the house lights up) and perform Stand By Me. Typically this meant Streets was then the lead-off for the encore, but, for whatever reason, it was completely dropped in Paris that night.

Looks like they're doin' this right. My only complaint (had to have one!) might be a lack of the remix of Streets in a full-length version. Love Edge's backing vocals, but the single is cut much too short, IMHO. Anyway, I'd be surprised if the mastering rivaled the MFSL, but the package on the whole s/b terrific. Can't wait to see the RHMT video.

13. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It's the day after Thanksgiving in the US, thus giving buyers one more reason to wait in line at 6 am at Best Buy or Target for some insane doorbuster that the store will run out of in the first 10 minutes it is open.

14. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I was thinking the same thing John. I'd say AB is a given. WAR & UF are probably strong contenders too. The 25th of WAR is next year, and UF a year later. AB's 20th is 4 years away though. BOY is another one I can see them reissuing at some point. As far as the live albums go, I think U2 consider their DVD's live albums at this point. As you say, they never released a full length live album, but they did put out 2 DVD's from each of the last 2 tours.

15. Claudio Dirani

It's already been postponed to December.

16. cartologist

Right, when black Friday comes.

17. cartologist

In the UK. As said above, in the US it's a black Friday release. Hopefully super-discounted so I can give Best Buy no profit margin whatsoever. :laugh:

18. Claudio Dirani

Lucky you, if you get it. We'll probably have to buy imports here.

19. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Probably already available in Shanghai... :rolleyes:

20. Hawkfire269

Hawkfire269 Forum Resident

The Red Hill Mining Town video inclusion is a shocker. Unprecedented. The video was buried without a trace and has reportedly NEVER been shown, anywhere, period, although stills from the video have popped up in a couple U2 bios. RHMT was reportedly going to be a single from the album until U2 realized during rehearsals that Bono was struggling mightily to hit the notes. And they didn't want a single they couldn't play live. To this day, RHMT is the only song from the album never to have found its way into a setlist (although the song was allegedly played during a soundcheck in Tennessee at a single November 1987 Joshua show). The fact that the song has never been played live has only heightened the curiousity of this mystery video that will finally see daylight with this package.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I hear that the band dress up as the Village People in this video. :shh:

22. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

from their website:
    sorry if it's been posted before somewhere.
    the vinyl has no b-sides. dammit. looks like i'll have to get two formats. what's wrong with a vinyl boxset? oh well.

The Joshua Tree 2007

In 2007 The Joshua Tree, remastered, arrives in four different formats including a bonus audio CD of b-sides and rarities, a live concert DVD shot in Paris in 1987 and booklets featuring liner notes from the band and unseen photography from Anton Corbijn. Here’s all the detail.

CD format:

The CD format features remastered audio, liner notes by Bill Flanagan (author of “U2 At The End Of The World”) and previously unseen Anton Corbijn photos.

Tracklist for The Joshua Tree:
    Where The Streets Have No Name / I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For / With Or Without You / Bullet The Blue Sky / Running To Stand Still / Red Hill Mining Town / In God’s Country / Trip Through Your Wires / One Tree Hill / Exit / Mothers Of The Disappeared

Deluxe format:

The deluxe package comprises The Joshua Tree CD (as above), and a Bonus Audio CD. The bonus audio CD features b-sides and rarities from the Joshua Tree sessions. The 2-CD format also includes a 36 page bound book, featuring liner notes by Bill Flanagan with a special essay by The Edge, previously unseen photos by Anton Corbijn and handwritten lyrics by Bono.

Tracklist for the Bonus Audio CD:
    Luminous Times (Hold On To Love) / Walk To The Water / Spanish Eyes / Silver And Gold / Sweetest Thing / Deep In The Heart / Race Against Time / Where The Streets Have No Name (Single edit) / Silver And Gold (Sun City) / Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience / Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland) / Desert Of Our Love / Rise Up / Drunk Chicken/America

Box Set format:

The 3 disc box-set format contains The Joshua Tree CD, the bonus audio CD (both as above), and a Bonus DVD. This package also includes a 56 page hardback embossed book, featuring previously unseen Anton Corbijn photos, handwritten lyrics by Bono and liner notes by Bill Flanagan, Bono, Adam Clayton, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Anton Corbijn, Steve Averill, David Batstone, René Castro and a special essay by The Edge.

Content for the Bonus DVD:
    U2 Live from Paris - filmed at the Hippodrome de Vincennes in Paris, on July 4 1987, on the European leg of The Joshua Tree tour. The tracklist is as follows: I Will Follow / Trip Through Your Wires / I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For / MLK / The Unforgettable Fire / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Exit / In God’s Country / Electric Co. / Bad / October / New Year’s Day / Pride (In The Name Of Love) / Bullet The Blue Sky / Running To Stand Still / With Or Without You / Party Girl / 40
    Outside It’s America – a 40 minute documentary
    With Or Without You – music video, alternative version
    Red Hill Mining Town – music video directed by Neil Jordan.

Double vinyl album:

The double vinyl format of The Joshua Tree includes a 16 page booklet containing lyrics and liner notes by Bill Flanagan, as well as previously unseen Anton Corbijn photos.

Tracklist for The Joshua Tree double vinyl album: SIDE ONE Where The Streets Have No Name / I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For / With Or Without You SIDE TWO Bullet The Blue Sky / Running To Stand Still SIDE THREE Red Hill Mining Town / In God’s Country / Trip Through Your Wires SIDE FOUR One Tree Hill / Exit / Mothers Of The Disappeared

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

"Alternative version"? :confused:

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

:eek: :confused: :eek:

Huh? I've noted before that the original vinyl version of The Joshua Tree suffers from trying to cram 50+ minutes of music onto two sides of vinyl, but I'm shocked that they are releasing this as a double vinyl album with no bonus material. I just asumed that the second lp would contain some or all of the b-sides and bonus material. I'm just speculating here, but could we be getting a double 45 rpm audiophile release here? Weird, wild stuff.

25. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.