The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Nice list mate

2. mark winstanley

tie 12 - Eastern Eyes (Glamour) 82 - 7.

stereo mix (5:26), recorded Mar-Apr, 1981 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Eastern eyes they cry,
    Western eyes they cannot see,
    Memory is gone,
    I'm alone, and I am free,
    In my mind I see
    All my spiritual history,
    Egypt calls me back,
    But I must change the past in me.

Chorus: Oh, could it be a love
    everlasting for you and me,
    Peace let there be,
    I know now I love you,
    Oh, let it be,
    Please leave us be,
    We are seeds of heaven, eternally.

Eastern eyes they smile,
    Over all our western trials,
    All we see will fade,
    All that's real will be again.

Chorus: Oh, could it be a love
    everlasting for you and me,
    Peace let there be,
    I know now I love you,
    Oh, let it be,
    Please leave us be,
    We are seeds of heaven, eternally.

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: DABE Music Limited, London, 1981

This is a pretty good closer.

Again, a fairly interesting song

Full write up

3. mark winstanley

12 - A Place In Your Heart (Americana) 106 - 9.

Hold tight
    Winds are blowin'
    Coldest that you've ever known
    Cuts through the rawhide
    Right to the marrow bone
    Strap a live pig across your knees
    Chew tobacco so your jaw don't freeze
    It's a bitter, bad mighty mean breeze

Who needs to ride a train?
    When we got the natural motion
    That's gonna take us
    Right across the mighty plain
    Look at that plain
    It's the flattest that you'll ever see
    Wo wo
    Hey
    Look at that big sky
    Look at that moon glow
    Lightin' up the Rockies on the way to Idaho
    Take out your fiddle, put your hand on the bow
    Rustle up a pretty tune
    Put a rhythm in yer toe-ow-ow

(Spoken word) Hello, is anybody there, hello?

I can't explain
    Am I letting my emotions get the better of me?
    You're always on my mind ooh ooh
    But I can't tell you that I'd willingly follow you

And if I can't have you
    How can I expect to have a place in your heart?
    But I wouldn't be so bold ooh ooh
    As to expect you to have feelings for me
    Oh no
    I can't admit it to you
    (West to East under the stars)
    'Cause then I would have to admit it to me
    (It's a thousand miles to the nearest bar)
    And I wouldn't want to bother you
    (West to East till we reach Omaha)
    'Cause then I would have to admit how much
    (West to East)
    It's bothering me
    (In the land of the free)

See the sun up ahead
    See the moon behind
    (Place in your heart)
    We're right on time
    We're going to get there
    Come rain or shine
    (You're always on my mind)
    Then Omaha city soon we'll be over the incline
    (But I can't tell you that I'd willingly follow you)

Can't admit it to you
    (West to East under the stars)
    'Cause then I would have to admit it to me
    (It's a thousand miles to the nearest bar)
    And I wouldn't want to bother you
    (West to East till we reach Omaha)
    'Cause then I would have to admit how much
    (West to East)
    It's bothering me
    (In the land of the free)
    (See the sun up ahead see the moon behind)
    Place in your heart
    (We're right on time we're going to get there
    Come rain or shine)
    But I wouldn't be so bold
    (And Omaha city soon we'll be over the incline)
    As to expect you to have feelings for me
    Oh no

Make the most of nature's great highway
    West to East
    See night turn into day
    Move so fast
    Too bad that you can't stay
    A place in your heart

(Spoken word) Alright lads, I gotta phone home
    Hey Ray, what's the deal?
    Let's get this show on the road
    Alright then....

I can't explain
    (Gonna get a train)
    Am I letting my emotions get the better of me?
    (Take us right across the mighty plain)
    You're always on my mind
    Ooh ooh ooh
    And I can't tell you that I'd
    Willingly follow you
    To the end of the earth

West to East
    Follow that star
    A thousand miles to the nearest bar
    Rattling wind
    Hold on tight
    Wrap up warm or it'll blow you apart
    Pass that whiskey
    Stoke up the stove
    Pluck that string wiggle that bow
    Mid-west snow
    Thunder and rain
    Get to the East coast
    Turn around, head West again

Move so fast
    Too bad that you can't stay
    A place in your heart

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Davray Music Limited/Sony ATV

This is a great track, and we came across this earlier on in the thread in the stage show of 80 Days

The song opens up like it is going to be a sort of blues track, but then we get this really brilliant change, and we get a bouncy track that seems to be a perfect hybrid of a sort of country tune and a music hall track.... It really could be in a movie from the sixties or seventies.

Anyway.... It may be an older song, but having a proper version of it recorded properly, and arranged and executed so well, is a great thing.

Full write up

4. mark winstanley

Eastern Eyes didn't make my Dave list

A Place In Your Heart came in at 9 on my Ray list

5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Thanks. I did look for Maelstrom on Apple Music and found about 20 artists with that name! You should have copyrighted it. :D

6. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

At last a Glamour entry! "Eastern Eyes" was my #3. The whole album is a sort of heavy rock/new wave crossover, and this one even veers into post-punk territory. The first 30 seconds would not sound out of place on the album in my avatar. An excellent, atmospheric epic to end a decent album.

"A Place In Your Heart"...I like it more than I used to, and I know that some rate it very highly indeed, but it didn't quite make my list.

7. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Eastern Eyes, unranked (but not unloved) by @Fortuleo. I picked three of my five playlisted Glamour tunes for Dave's Top 20. Now that I think better of it, I feel Eastern Eyes should've been one of them, to convey Dave's more cinematic style, which is perhaps his most original facet (and also his less Kinks-like). At the same time, it didn't need my vote to get here, so who cares ? The song is a slow-building epic and a great closer of that concept LP that never was. I don't remember the exact sci-fi story Dave came up with after too many intake of whatever substances, but I can definitely see how he would soon become friends with John Carpenter and collaborate with him on some film scores.

8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Neither of today’s songs have graced either of my lists. If I had to choose, I would prefer “A Place In Your Heart”. Anyway, thanks to Avid Steve 62 for putting together that fab playlist, as well as Avid Ajsmith for another great episode of his podcast.

9. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I think I've made it clear that A Place in Your Heart holds a very special one in mine. It's my #1 solo Ray song, and this Thread has made this fact quite bittersweet when it was revealed that it was in fact an 80 Days tune resurrected almost 30 years after the musical was last staged. When Americana was released, this was the song that made me think Ray was still a powerful creative force and made me hope that there would be many more great music to come. Which was not to be, as we all know. So yeah, bitter but still sweet : I think it's the best collaboration with the Jayhawks, by far. There's this wonderful propulsive wagon train feel to the whole track, blending old time background singing with an unbelievable sense of melodic invention. Grotberg sings a great lead and when Ray gets his turn in the end with this older, weary, fragile voice of his, he just breaks my heart to pieces. It's probably the one song from the solo Ray canon that I like just as much as the best Kinks tunes. And the one Jayhawks collab' that I love just as much as the band's best output. So yeah, two for the price of one. I wish it was higher still on this list but given how divisive anything from Americana turns out to be, I'm glad it's even here at all. This is only my third personal pick on this Ray top (I've got the three Americana ones so far) and obviously, a Ray win for me in today's showdown.

10. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Eastern Eyes was not only on my Dave list but it was number one. :pineapple::pineapple: There’s something epic about it - a Kashmir-like stateliness. I think it’s a cracker of a song and I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who rated it.
    I didn’t rate A Place in Your Heart. It’s good - and the writing for different characters is excellent - but it’s surely the least Ray Davies-sounding song he’s ever recorded.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  11. DISKOJOE

While going through the Amazon website to look for something to buy, I remembered that I did a couple of reviews for Ray and Dave releases back in the day:

Customer Review

[​IMG]
    diskojoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's Hear It for Mr. Dave "Death of A Clown" Davies
    Reviewed in the United States on March 17, 2006
    Verified Purchase
    The appearance of this CD, a month or so after the much heralded release of Ray's first "real" solo album, Other People's Lives, is another example of how Dave's efforts have been overshadowed by Ray's. It's not really fair to compare the two, since Kinked is a compilation of recent solo items and remakes of his Kinks contributions. Judged by itself, Kinked is a fine CD. Although I do admit being more of a Ray man, Dave has contributed his share of great songs, as well as his guitar playing, to the Kinks. My favorite Dave song "Strangers" appears here in its From the Bottom Line version, which is fine in its own right. "Unfinished Business" from the 1998 2-CD compilation is also here, as well as his version of George Harrison's "Give Me Love, Give Me Peace On Earth", which originally appeared on a Harrison tribute CD. The newer songs, such as "God In My Brain" are also good. My one problem is that I frankly did not care for Dave's version of "Picture Book", which also came from the Live at the Bottom Live CD. I wasn't happy with Dave's vocals in this song. "Fortis Green" the song that came after it, was a pleasant surprise, full of heartfelt detail of his childhood, which sounded like it belonged in Something Else By the Kinks. In fact, I feel that "Fortis Green", with "Unfinished Business",along with Ray songs such as "My Diary" and "Million Pound Semi-Detached" could have made up, well not the Great Lost Kinks Album, but a Darn Good Lost Kinks Album. I agree with the previous reviewer in that a few more songs from Bug should have been included instead of "Picture Book" and some of the rerecordings to give a better picture of Dave's later solo career. Anyway, Kinked is a worthy purchase, especially for Kinks fans, and I would like to wish Dave a continuing recovery from his stroke.

4 people found this helpful

Customer Review
    [​IMG]
    diskojoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts On Thanksgiving Day
    Reviewed in the United States on November 30, 2005
    Verified Purchase
    Here's some thoughts that I have regarding Ray Davies' Thanksgiving Day EP:

1. The title track reminds me a lot of Otis Redding. I can imagine him covering it. I especially enjoyed the horns. I had to look at the muscian credits to see if they were the Memphis Horns (& was surprised to see that they weren't).

2. I also enjoyed the other three tracks, although I preferred the original version of London Song, since I felt that, in the words of the reviewer from the Bluegrass State, it "ROCKED" more.

3. Not that it has anything to do with the EP, but I think that it's interesting when Ray started out in this country, his labelmates included Dean Martin & Trini Lopez & now they include the White Stripes.

4. Speaking of the reviewer from the Bluegrass State, my feeling is that Ray, as well as any member of any group, has every right to perform & release as a solo, especially since Dave has released solo projects in the past. I'm looking forward to Ray's album next February, which this EP is a good taster.

(Note: the mention of the reviewer from the Bluegrass State referred to a negative review that has been deleted who bascially said that Ray was selfish in pursuing a solo career instead of getting the Kinks back together & that brother Dave "ROCKED")
    7 people found this helpful

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Eastern Eyes

I played this and wasn't sure what to think aside from the fact that I wasn't totally won over and aurally thought it had not made my list........ but not so fast! :shh:
    The title looked familiar-ish and it made me wonder, check and see its stairway lied on this whispering wind!
    Yes I must have looked at it today with Western Eyes is on my Dave list it Ranks #4!
    Yes the bustle beneath my hair growth had me alarmed now and gave cause to remember laughter and Live Aid given by my daughter in my #3-#20 scientific, selection, sortee, soiree - process!

Quizzically i looked up my initial posting;

Eastern Eyes

Interestingly i first hear the purity of Dave's unstrained voice which was welcoming & surprisingly reminiscent of 60's Dave!
    I don't mind the flavour of this one and though it plods there are actual moments where music and voice remind me of Jeff Buckley on Grace which has near shocked me in an intriguing way.

Still like father like daughter the apple does not fall far from the tree and in this case the piece of paper from my daughters hand as it was the 2nd closest to her I picked up.

Perhaps of late my unrealised rushed rationales were relatively routinely random due restless roundabout reverberations.

Long story short;
    Been off work 5 weeks after re-injuring an elbow then realised I had torn the opposite rotator cuff also through work but wouldn't be covered.
    My daughters NDIA funding has run out, last week someone keyed the side of my car and yesterday someone drove into my house so between renewing my First Aid, engaging builders about flood repairs (that turned up on Tueday to carry out the wrong work!) and planning new high school interviews between Doctors, Physio's and Surgeon's I'm feeling a bit near rock bottom. o_O

[​IMG]

13. mark winstanley

Lol
    Nah
    You can find the Maelstrom stuff on reverbnation under my name.
    I don't know if you can download it though?

14. All Down The Line

A Place In Your Heart

I had grappled with this as very much of it is not my bag and would be left on the airport baggage carousel however Karen virtually single handedly (alongside @Fortuleo's effusive praise) rocket it to a position of Rank #8!

An achingly lovely feminine counter melody can't turn Ray from his counter lunch but it is always on my mind i should fol-low her!

Here is my original spiel which even I have trouble understanding so I can't imagine how some of our non English (as first language) speaking Avids feel 3 years on, having me on a thread from West to East (& North to South!)

A Place In Your Heart

Not sure If I can add anything of substance but as we get moving into the second verse i feel our band leader taking his chosen Motorway through baby brothers Lincoln County looking for a merry karma!

Again Karen raises the artistic (and emotional) stakes with sweet, deft melodic brush strokes that appear effortless.

When we have end lines such as oh no & fol-low you sung by my fair lady I'm not reminded of Konglomerate Kentucky but more a Big Macca as i'm then expecting the turnaround into "You say goodbye and I say hello!"

There is another song (with a female singer?) I'm just aching to recall whenever Karen sings "You're always on my mind!" that's just beyond my reach so I'll just hop aboard and view the travel and rumble from the dickey seat!

Edit: Is it the song I'm thinking of.... Storyteller?

I believe my Best Brothers Balladry scorecard now reads Ray 4 & Dave 2.

Ray's song wins the day and my guess is he is now up 5 to 3 on the Davies Debate Department.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D:D

16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

You poor bugger! That is one mega pile of bad luck. All I can suggest is to have a cuppa tea and believe that it can’t get any worse. Next week will bring an upturn in fortunes I bet.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I didn’t have either of the songs today. No ‘Eastern Eyes,’ no ‘A Place In Your Heart.’

18. Jasper Dailey

Jasper Dailey Forum Resident

Eastern Eyes is a really nice Dave song, and honestly it was a screwup that it didn't get included on my list. It's a perfect teaser for his sound on Chosen People. I didn't forget Glamour (ranked one song that I doubt will make the list), but somehow I didn't write Eastern Eyes down or something. Fail.

A Place in Your Heart, on the other hand... I'm surprised it's this low on the Ray list, especially given the extensive lobbying campaign run by a certain French gentleman :D. I ranked it #7 on my list, where it sat next to a bunch of great tracks. Listening to it this morning, I'm struck by how accessible and immediate its great attributes are: from the multi-part vocal arrangement highlighting Karen's lovely voice, to the poignant lyrics that fit so nicely in the musical, in the concept album, and in the life of Ray (especially when Ray sings those lyrics), to the silly *boing* instrument somehow giving the song "bro country" cred; it's all there on the first listen, you don't have to dig for it at all. The greatness is evident.

I didn't have a lot of guesses about how either solo list would come together, but now I'm kind of baffled. There are a few other "Solo Career" (OPL to Our Country) tracks that I know will show up in prominent positions on the list. And a couple of erstwhile others from the Kinks years and Storyteller. But does that mean we're about to get like 5 80 Days tracks, mostly in the top 50% of the list? I have conflicting feelings* about that, but I'll just have to let it play out before I get on my soapbox.

Anyway, easy win for Ray today. 6-3.

*of course of course *of course* I am not taking issue with the quality of 80 Days... its inclusion just makes the list kind of idiosyncratic. Other smart people pointed this out ahead of time, but did I heed their warnings? NO! :tsk:

And of course, so sorry to hear about your troubles, @All Down The Line ! I know tomorrow you'll find better things.

19. All Down The Line

Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround (Part Fourteen!)

Great chemistry again from Liam and Adam as they uncross their collective legs for Lola over an informed hour.

I will be the first Avid (I think) to chime in saying that clearly an upcoming quiz question will be how many times did Liam & Adam actually use the word Meta in this episode? :agree:

I really enjoyed this opinionated reveal and think these guys can't be beat even if I do say to Adam that "Vinyl" is both singular and plural. :wave:

So as I look forward to the combimed bonus tracks of Arthur and Lola I do wonder where our boys will attach their Percy as it may not be welcomed on Muswell Hill let alone a local Bald Mountain so please Talmy! :angel:

20. All Down The Line

As long as I don't hear "Bruce" singing Better Things it should!

Happily I didn't remember a few other sour things to share that also happened around the same time but I can say that this post should be the first time I have successfully partially quoted a post and its only taken me 6 years to achieve it! :pineapple:

**Edit: Je l'ai eu, yes it worked!

21. DISKOJOE

Avid All Down The Line, I’m sorry to hear about your recent spate of problems. I’m amazed that you can continue with your punning ways in face of these problems. Hope things get better with you.

22. All Down The Line

The punning stunts keep me positive!

23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I’m not keen on either of today’s songs. Dave’s becomes boring after about 2 minutes, and with Ray’s I keep expecting a yee ha to break out any moment.

I can imagine Sheryl Crow covering the Ray song, so Dave wins today!

24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

This is getting crazy. Another day without a Ray song on my list.

"Eastern Eyes" was my fifth pick from Glamour and was #16 on my list. It's just creepy and spaced out enough to make it intriguing. I like the bass line, and it does have that sort of John Carpenter horror film soundtrack style, especially in the last 90 seconds. It also sounds like it could have been inspired by the Dario Argento soundtracks performed by the Italian progressive rock band Goblin. If you have never heard the Profondo Rosso (Deep Red) soundtrack, I highly recommend it! I got into Dario Argento films last year and was blown away by the music in Profondo Rosso. I briefly considered Goblin for my Sunday band share, but I wouldn't have had much to say outside of this one soundtrack. I added a link above to the album. The bass is a monster!

"A Place In Your Heart"- I had some positive things to say about it when we discussed it, but also said it made me feel like polishing my saddle and sharpening my spurs. It's a pretty song, but I'm not crazy about this production. It feels too much like a song for a high school theater group. It reminds me of the beginning song in this Waiting For Guffman clip. :laugh: Is there a demo of this from the 80 Days period? I'm guessing I would like it more than this version.

Song #12 goes to Dave!

Dave- 6
    Ray- 3

25. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

1 for 2 today, but at least I broke my Ray losing streak.

Eastern Eyes did not make my list. I liked it when I listened again this morning, and doesn't grate on my nerves the way some of Dave's other tracks from Glamour do, but I don't find it to be memorable. Even typing this, having listened this morning, I can't conjure up how the melody goes. I'd blame it on my aging memory, but I do remember the Dave songs on my list with which I also don't have any history.

A Place in Your Heart is # 9 on my list. I love it. I guess the very opening might be a little off putting, but I don't mind it at all. It's hokey, but in a good way for me. I keep thinking of the music from the Abbott and Costello movie Ride Em Cowboy. Besides the romantic chorus melody, Karen and the harmonizing band joining in kicks the song to another level.