The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Dave: 6/10 with ‘Don’t Wanna Grow Up’ not making the cut mainly because I just overlooked it. If I had a do-over I’d find a spot for it (offhand, at the expense of ‘Let Me Be’).

Ray and his ‘One More Time’: A wonderful song with astute, clever lyrics set to a meandering melody. Lovely but I didn’t have room on the list. 4/10 for Ray.

2. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I've just realized I forgot to thank @palisantrancho for reminding me that the Let Me Be high voice gimmick was similar to Wilco's Hoodoo Voodoo. Of course it is. A mix between Mumbo and Hoodoo Voodoo. Hoodoo Mumboo perhaps. Or Mumboo Voodoo. Take your pick !
    I don't think so. I'm afraid any 80 Days track will have difficulties finding its way on to here. I hope I'm wrong, but with only 10 slots remaining and many good released songs still missing, I'll be surprised.
    Yeah, lots of cool Scattered, one by Neil Young, one by the Posies, now one by Gilmour… Not sold on the first song yet, but it may grow on me.

About Ray's song of the day, whenever One More Time starts, I'm immediately sold: here's one of the best aching melodies in his solo "œuvre", and a highlight of Working Man's Café's second half, just after the mighty Imaginary Man. I love the first verse immensely, I think it's effective, contained, immediate, just wonderful, with the sublime B minor chord change (one of Ray's aces in the sleeve) and some superb singing. Then, it's like Ray couldn't develop the melodic idea in a satisfying way for a while, it kinda stalls, meanders a bit, the song drifts into less inspired lalala's, I kind of lose interest (which doesn't happen to me very often, especially when lalala's are involved), at least until the great hook, "let's sing it loud with feeling / Come on / One more time". It's a very long melody (always a treat in itself) and I guess Ray never found anything better to get from the opening melody to the hook, which sadly prevented the song from being a serious contender in my list. That and of course the out of place second verse, that @Steve62's been so vocal about a couple of times already. Steve being too shy to re-post his re-writes of old Kinks klassiks to prove his point, I thought I'd copy paste them for him. Still cracks me up !

Thank you for the days,
    Those endless days, those sacred days you gave me.
    I'm thinking of the economic vultures
    Stole our dreams and told us tales
    I won't forget a single day, believe me.

The tax man's taken all my dough,
    And left me in my stately home,
    Lazing on a sunny afternoon.
    And corporations get the tax breaks
    While the city gets the crime
    All I've got's this sunny afternoon

3. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Another day and yet another Ray song not on my list. I'm beginning to think I don't like his solo career, which is partly true. My top three songs are from 80 Days, which was never even released. I do have four songs from Other People's Lives and four songs from Working Man's Café. I'm guessing I will have most of the top ten songs on my list or Dave is going to blow Ray out of the water. Something I never expected to happen. "One More Time" is fine, but I find it a little bland and it fails to excite me. It's not one of my favorites on the album. I see I even felt the same way 734 pages ago!
    As for Dave, he continues to surprise me. I think "Don't Wanna Grow Up" is lovely. He takes chances and mixes up his styles so much that at least he is never boring or predictable. This has a beautiful piano melody and a touching vocal. It was #10 on my list.

Song #11 goes to Dave

Dave- 7
    Ray- 3

4. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

'Don't Wanna Grow Up' isn't in my list, not that is shouldn't be, it could well have been, it's that, amazing as it sounds, I didn't have space in my top 20! I think 'Open Road' is Dave's most cohesive album. I hope his next one follows this template.

'One More Time' is a top 5 entry for my Raylist. I think it's great, especially the offending verse ending in the depot in South Wales. About a specific event moving the famous Manchester brewery 'Boddingtons' from the city to a depot in South Wales.

When we get our final countdown, I'm thinking 'Working Man's Cafe' will be top of the pops. There are some very strong songs on there, and for me, 'One More Time' is one of them. Three of my top five are from this album.

Ray takes the prize today.

5. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I may have posted this back in the day, but for Avid Fortuleo, here’s “Australia” by the Len Price 3:

6. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Don't Wanna Grow Up - Unranked.

Good song from a very good album but I found other songs from Open Road I rate higher and not all of those ended up making my Dave list either, but a couple did. These rate very highly overall too and I'm sure at least one of these will make the consensus.

One More Time - # 8 on my Ray list.

I felt this one was borderline as to whether or not it would get enough votes, but the fact that it did gives me high hopes for a few others on this album. There are some very strong ones yet to show up that I would be shocked and surprised not to see in the Top 10. We'll have to have a little talk if they don't. Working Man's Café is my favorite Ray solo album as I made abundantly clear when we started that conversation back when, so the more songs from this album that make the consensus, the better in my view.

The MEZ, Paul Mazz, DISKOJOE and 15 others like this.
  7. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

11 - Don't Wanna Grow Up (Open Road)
    I had this ranked #7 on my Dave list. I have 5 songs from Open Road on my list, and this is the middle of those 5, so I have two higher and two lower. I love this one. Dave's older vocal is still good, and that melody that permeates through the song is so memorable and catchy. It sounds perhaps the most contemporary melody on the album, in that I could see that same intro melody being in a big hit song today by an artist like The Weeknd. It has this sort of throwback classic 80s melody line that I see has become popular the last few years again in pop.

11 - One More time (Working Man's Cafe)

Well, this is my #1 Ray solo song, according to my list. I love all the verses, even the one with economic vultures and corporations and tax breaks and crime and depots in South Wales. I think that is key to the song, and why he wants to sing for the old country. What used to be. Not only of walking those hilltops with someone he had to leave, but also the county that they loved. The political verse is not much different from the verse of Demolition which rails against capitalistic greed. Anyway, the melody of this song permeated my soul when I rediscovered this song on the thread. Couldn't get enough of it. I played it on loop. Still do sometimes. Yeah, I had owned Working Man's Cafe since it first came out, and I recalled several songs from it when we covered it here, but not this one. How could I have ignored it all those years? I just love that rolling melody. There's a flow to it, and it changes slightly from line to line I think, perhaps up a little or down a little, I dunno, I'm not expert. But it seems like a single long melodic idea, made up similar repeated fragments.... It's such a well crafted song, and a perfect Ray Davies bridge.

Interesting combo with these two songs today, both have an extremely memorable melody that repeats often throughout the song (but I never get tired of hearing it), and they both feature lovely "la la las", just like some of the greatest Kinks songs from the 60s.

I love them both, but Ray wins this round.

The MEZ, Paul Mazz, DISKOJOE and 17 others like this.
  8. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Thanks for digging up those “economic enhanced Kinks lyrics”. Sadly, I think my reworked Days and Sunny Afternoon are just as rhymey (another tech term) and internally consistent with the rest of the lyrics as is Ray’s clunker.
    I’m relieved to be reminded that my mind hasn’t changed. Sorry for banging on about it though. When I dislike a lyric I can’t hold myself back.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  9. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Another Dave tune that is not on my list but has me wondering why not.

I am also one of those that likes WMC the most of Ray’s solo output. I had today’s song at #15.

The MEZ, Paul Mazz, DISKOJOE and 14 others like this.
  10. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

1 for 2 today.

I’m still more on a Dave consensus roll, having Don’t Wanna Grow Up at #14 on my list. I’m too fried from work today to add anything else, so will just leave what I said originally.
    Ray’s One More Time suffered from my liking 20 songs more.

I’ll catch up on reading everyone else’s posts tomorrow.

11. Jasper Dailey

Jasper Dailey Forum Resident

Nota bene: tonight, I wanted to listen to some Ray, and while perusing some tracks on Youtube, "The Great Highway" came on. It isn't a favorite of mine. I heard the beginning and I started bracing myself and braced and braced... and slowly relaxed. It's actually an alright song. And his vocals are mostly fine!! That's the part making me feel guilty. I remember talking about that song and using the word "geriatric" at least once, probably multiple times... it's still not my favorite Ray track, but he sounded pretty decent on the recording.

Anybody else got a "grower" track unrelated to our current kountdown?

The MEZ, Paul Mazz, DISKOJOE and 13 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Just about every song on the thread

13. Someone-Else

Someone-Else Forum Resident

Neither Don't Wanna Grow Up nor One More Time was on my own list, but both are worthy songs with affecting vocals.
    It's interesting how these pair up sometimes (oh, snap, @donstemple !) ... la la la la.... Today we have a very Kinksy thematic thread - our boys are looking back in a couple of melodic, nostalgia-tinged tunes: Dave, fondly, with/about those schooldays acquaintances he made; Ray, regretfully, reflecting on lost love/leaving loved ones behind and sociocultural/economic change.

PS thanks for the repost of @Steve62 's lyrical reconfigurations - my laugh for the day.

Scorecard:
    Dave: 2/10
    Ray 5/10

14. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

“Unrelated to our current kountdown”?

Ha Ha - Directly related I’d say! If any of us has “grown” to appreciate and like a song a little more due to further intentional or even random listens, Avid recommendations, or pure shameless guilt due to unfamiliarity or initially and ignorantly dismissing a song after the first 5 seconds as some have gleefully acknowledged and declared as their informed methodology of determining a song's worth, then a few of these neglected songs may have had a sniff of getting on more than one list. But if what we’re doing now opens a few more doors or roads to the solo years for others, then mission accomplished.

I will admit I have had a grower or two. I'll have some more later after some other songs are or are not revealed, but I will go with one here tonight since it has already been revealed to have received only one vote and is already crying like a baby on the outside looking in.

The grower reveal for me tonight is Between The Towers from Dave's Rippin' Up Time. I read this one the riot act back when we first went through this album but have since come around to its charms over the last couple of months after a few more listens. And after reading @StefanWq's and your wonderful posts on this song, I now know I was hasty then and that I'm not alone now in liking this one much better than before. On the whole, Rippin' Up Time remains a disappointing follow-up for many reasons we went through at the time to what I think is a fine and neglected first true after-stroke full rock comeback Dave album I Will Be Me. The demo quality of much of the material on Rippin' Up Time dooms it from the get-go, but a few nuggets are beginning to reveal themselves despite those production shortcomings, hence Between The Towers is one of my grower tracks in spite of its first-impression spurious reach :laugh:.

I actually wrote up and intended to post a post on this very topic and song after reading those aforementioned posts last week but got distracted and chickened out. After a few beers tonight, I've no inhibitions now and am chickening in on Between The Towers growing taller in my estimation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  15. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Don't Wanna Grow Up / One More Time

Both tracks were in my respective Top 20 lists. "Don't Wanna Grow Up", which is at #6 in my Dave Top 20, is a really beautiful track. The instrumentation is lovely, in particular the piano and the drums enhance the reflective and empathic feel of the song. I tend to like Dave's more reflective songs and based on how much I enjoy the Open Road album (as well as the Aschere Project album) I hope he will collaborate further with Russ.

"One More Time" is at #15 in my Ray Top 20. I think Working Man's Café is definitely Ray's best solo album with a great flow from one top notch track to the next. On the album, this song follows the magnificent "Imaginary Man" and to my ears the two songs enhance each other. Ray's singing is excellent and the instrumentation, including the subtle organ, is sublime. A brilliant track!

My score card so far:
    Ray: 4/10
    Dave: 5/10

16. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Children's holiday are a busy period, especially when you have to drive all around France for them to meet their friends and grandparents. Many thoughts occurred to me while reading this week's entries, but I didn't have the time to put them into words (to Humanity's great loss). I'll try a summary once Mark recapitulates this week's songs (if he does), because I'm a lazy bum. Anyway, it's sweet to be back in Die, and I went through my routine morning walk listening to the latest episode of @ajsmith and Liam's Thoroughly Kinky. I loved it, as always. A few points:

- I'm really glad that Liam, in relation to the song Denmark Street, brought up the Frank Zappa interview that I linked back here in my out-of-time attempt at catching up with the thread, 2 and a half years ago.
    - I found the discussion refreshing, as it brought back memories of the very first times I listened to this album: I didn't care much for the opener; "Strangers" sounded a bit bland to me; and everything after "This Time Tomorrow" failed to catch my attention. With time and this thread, the whole of the first side grew up in my appreciation, and some of the second side too. I now find "The Contenders" to be one of the strongest openers in the Kinks canon (and they have many). Also, very early in my journey with this album, my brother commanded me to lovev "Strangers", and I obeyed. "A Long Way From Home" also grew on me. The last 4 songs, though, remain a bit too slight to my ear to be able to sustain my attention until the end. The album needs a stronger track towards the end so that I have something to look forward to. I achieved this by taking "Rats" away and putting the orchestra-free "The Way Love Used To Be" in penultimate position. (I already wrote this when we went over the Lola boxset, I believe, but I almost forgot about it so I guess other people forgot it even more).
    - Several comments (mostly by Liam, I think) seem to make the point that the rocking songs don't rock very hard. "Powerman" is hilariously said to display average power. To a large extend, I believe this feeling is fueled mostly by the mix and the thin sound of the crunchy guitars, which probably are a choice, and not an uninteresting one. But the new mixes, especially Powerman's, show how much the Kinks could have played the Deep Purple card at the time. I used this new mix for my Lola reconstructed, as I think it really enhances the song. Also, Avory's work is great on this song.

17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

So with today's Lonely Songs, I was responsible for King Of Karaoke, which came in at 11 on my Dave list

20. mark winstanley

Thread Guide

1963 - Nov 2023 + top 40 countdown

Soap Opera tour, Preservation section

The complete 263 from the top 40

77 onward top 20 - poll 1
    RCA top 20 - poll 1
    unreleased tracks top 20 - poll 1
    7 songs voted at 1 missed top 40
    songs with no votes

Live At Granada TV 1978
    Black Messiah single mix

AJ's podcast - pt2 - pt3 - pt4 - pt5 - pt6 - pt7 - pt8 - pt9 - pt10 - pt11 - pt12

Countdown Part 2
    100/98/98

97/96
    95/94
    93/92 This Is Where I Belong stereo
    91/90 Marina Oz mono
    88/88
    87/86 Muswell Hillbillies remix
    82/82/82/82
    81/80
    79/78
    77/75/75
    74/73
    72/71
    70/69 Brainwashed alt
    68/67
    66/64/64 Looney Balloon live
    60/60/60 Sitting In The Midday Sun 76mix
    59/58
    57/56
    55/54
    53/52 Lazy Old Sun alt
    51/50
    49/48
    47/46
    45/44
    42/42

Australia alt acetate

The Group 100 with stats
    The Pye chart - Graph(ics)
    Alt 100
    single vote songs pt1 - pt2
    the 100 w/ points and votes
    the 263
    the 317
    songs with no votes
    The Era Charts - with top 100 position
    Albums/Poll - sides
    Singles
    Unreleased

Record Mirror article
    ------------------
    Dogs D'Amour
    Barrence Whitfield
    Robbin Thompson
    Scott McCaughey/ The Minus 5
    Tom Rapp/Pearls Before Swine
    Ren
    Nils Lofgren
    Michael Head/Shack
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Split Enz - info
    Mr Diagonal
    The Bevis Frond
    Rodriguez
    Sam Phillips
    Misha Panfilov
    Procul Harum
    Cold Chisel - Khe Sanh
    Mark
    Anne Serieyx
    Serieyx
    Serieyx
    Kinks/Not Kinks? pt 2
    --------------------
    Solo Ray tracks for poll - finished list? - thread links
    Solo Dave tracks for poll - neater - thread links

The Ray and Dave countdown

Ray 20 - 19 - 18 - 17 - 16 - 15 - 14 - 13 - 12 - 11

Dave 20 - 19 - 18 - 17 - 16 - 15 - 14 - 12 tie - 12 tie - 11

The Lonely Songs pt1 - pt2

21. mark winstanley

The story so far

Dave

20 - Who's Foolin' Who (Bug) 67 - 7
    19 - When The Wind Blows (Unfinished Business) 73 - 7
    18 - OpenUp Your Heart (Fragile) 76 - 7
    17 - Take One More Chance (Chosen People) 78 - 5
    16 - Unfinished Business (Unfinished Business) 79 - 7
    15 - 21st Century (single) 80 - 7
    14 - Rock You, Rock Me (Bug) 81 - 10
    12 - Let Me Be (Fortis Green) 82 - 7
    12 - Eastern Eyes (Glamour) 82 - 7
    11 - Don't Wanna Grow Up (Open Road) 83 - 8

Ray

20 - Rock And Roll Cowboys (Americana) 76 - 7
    19 - The Deal (Americana) 79 - 7
    18 - the Tourist (Other People's Lives) 82 - 8
    17 - After the Fall (Other People's Lives) 84 - 8
    16 - Yours Truly, Confused N10 (Thanksgiving Day EP) 96 - 9
    15 - All She Wrote (Other People's Lives) 99 - 9
    14 - The Real World (Our Country) 105 - 8
    13 - Stand Up Comic (Other People's Lives) 105 - 10
    12 - A Place In Your Heart (Americana) 106 - 9
    11 - One More time (Working Man's Cafe) 112 - 10

22. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I'm like everybody else today, none of the lonely songs are mine.

23. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I'm not resposible for any of today's lonely songs. "Glamour" was one of only two songs that I didn't select from its parent album.

24. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I'm with you there. Power to Powerman !!! But really…
    … who would've wanted that ? :rolleyes:

Just kidding… although not really. Don't forger Liam plays the new kid on the Kinks block. The young apprentice. I remember when I was a young kid myself (many small childhoods ago), I thought I had a mission to prove to the mockers that my favorite bands rocked "hard enough". I'm listening to the newly released One Hand Clapping version of Junior's Farm as I'm typing this, and it does rock along nicely but I doubt it could've convinced metal fans to appreciate Ebony & Ivory. Only when I was much older did I realize that to convince a serious hard rock/punk rock person that the Beach Boys are great, there's no use making them listen to Student Demonstration Time. You'd better play them The Warmth of the Sun or 'Till I die !!

Also, @KM Dave 65-78, where are you ? I forgot to vote yesterday, but One More Time beat Don't Want to Grow Up as the song has lodged itself in my brain ever since. So yesterday goes to Ray.

25. mark winstanley

I reckon it's harder to pursuade mellow rock folk that hard rock/metal is good value.... from my experiences at least...

I mean, just on this thread. Shouty Ray, need I say more lol